Guns N' Roses - The best live band ever??

Gauda

I was discussing with a guy on school today about live bands, he is more into the new music and meant Rammstein, Perfect Circle and Tool was the best live bands.. I said that GnR is the best live band ever... :)

He is reading a lot of magazines, the magazines apparantly never ranked GnR higher than 10 on live band rankings, I said thats because its only the big multi-million dollar magazines that comes into little Norway and they fucking hate him because he hates them..

Any opinions? Any other good live bands? How do you think the "new" band is live? (without comparing new and old all the time please :) )

i never had the amazing pleasure of seeing gn'r live(hangs head in shame) but then again i am only 17. In my personal opinion and of what ive seen i would certainly say that gn'r were an amazing live band and probably still are.

As far as todays bands go, i'm seeing rammstein and tool in may right here in the UK and i'll be seing tool again along with system (whom ive already seen live) and slayer at ozzfest which should be awesome. Slayer & tool are known for being great live, and rammstien of coyrse for their Pyrotechnics.

I saw incubus back in janurary and they were brilliant and i saw weezer and system in march who were both great but nothing on incubus.

• 1 year later...

GN'R probably were one of the very best live bands ever, partically in the years that they performed in clubs etc, which is where they got their feirsome on-stage live reputation.

when metallica performed the damage inc tour and the black album tour, they were fucking great. i saw some bootlegs and the dvd and they were fucking hot! i always prefered axl's voice on the album but musicaly, live it was better. gnr have their style on stage and some people like it and some dont. i think they were cool live but they were not the best on stage.

its impossible to label any band the greatest live band ever cos its all about perception

really the band i saw on saturday with about 30 other people, the unhealthy, are the best live band ive seen ever and they dont need fireworks and spandex shorts to prove it

GNR is not the greatest live band. Led Zeppelin is one of the best live bands ever, better than GNR. I rate GNR maybe the best live band ever for small clubs, their energy and rawness just jumps out at you when you see them in a small club performance, I rarely saw anybody better playing small venues. Apart from a few songs, GNR's music never really did anything for me when they played huge stadiums. I just think their style was perfect for small venues.

GNR is not the greatest live band. Led Zeppelin is one of the best live bands ever, better than GNR. I rate GNR maybe the best live band ever for small clubs, their energy and rawness just jumps out at you when you see them in a small club performance, I rarely saw anybody better playing small venues. Apart from a few songs, GNR's music never really did anything for me when they played huge stadiums. I just think their style was perfect for small venues.

Led Zepplin weren't anywhere near as good live as people pretend they were now.

The amount of "tidying up" on that live DVD box set they released last year is ridiculous. That said they were okay. GnR were/are better.

Queen were ace in the 70's, they went a bit wanky in the 80's though - too commercial. Earls Court '77 is what you want. Awesome.

Radiohead are fuckin smart live as well.

when they wanted to be gnr was awesome live.. when they wanted to be drunk and fucked up and shit they could put on a horrible show.. from the vids ive seen they put on some great one... but rammstein can put on a hell of a show.. there just fun to watch

I would have to say in my oppinion GNR were the best band for the time in the 80's and early 90's and r the best live band now. End of story.

You cant say who were the best live band ever because you have to look at it in context. When the Stones were on fire they could be the best band in the world man, same with Zepplin, Sabbath, Aerosmith, Kiss, Bon Jovi and everyone is overlooking the 80's bands especially the f**ckin magazines.

Van Halen, Skid Row, Motley Crue, Poison, Def Leppard. But in my oppinion no band can compare to GNR because there singer is the greatest of all time.

1: Guns N' Roses (new n' old)

2: Rammstein (I luv the pyro)

3: Kiss

4: Iron Maiden

5: Ozzy Osbourne

6: Jimi Hendrix (he wuz AMAZING on that guitar)

7: Aerosmith (kinda like gnr...different music and connection w/ the audience)

8: U2

9: Nine Inch Nails

10: Metallica

i like both Gnr. they have their separate qualities

:krider:

never had the amazing pleasure of seeing gn'r live(hangs head in shame) but then again i am only 17. In my personal opinion and of what ive seen i would certainly say that gn'r were an amazing live band and probably still are.

As far as todays bands go, i'm seeing rammstein and tool in may right here in the UK and i'll be seing tool again along with system (whom ive already seen live) and slayer at ozzfest which should be awesome. Slayer & tool are known for being great live, and rammstien of coyrse for their Pyrotechnics.

I saw incubus back in janurary and they were brilliant and i saw weezer and system in march who were both great but nothing on incubus.

ah dude i saw slayer in the storia...fuckin awsome man. kerry can sure rip up a solo. had a hour and a half wait between opening act and them and i was bored. cant imagine bein at a gnr show where u had 2 wait 3 hours or waht ever it was. must have been worth it tho! (still havnt seen em, missed em at docklands :()

anyways, the best i have personally seen:

1. hanoi rocks last year. they fuckin ripped it up. they r sooooo koool, and to see em in a smallish club such as the sheperds bush empire kicked ass.

2. The wildhearts this was a great "comeback" show. real energy there, you could feel they were happy to play again, and it was great to see them smillin so much when the whole crowd went nuts as soon as they stopped each song.

3. metallica at earls court. that fuckin rocked. they still rip[ it up. you need to see em live. they even made a st anger song sound kool (some kinda monster) by adding in this kick ass solo. brilliant.

anyways. from what iv seen on dvds, GnR rocked early on, there extensive stage shows really killed a lot of their original rawness, but still made for a good show, and 2002 tour was very energetic and very kool, but no surprises. not like in the uyi tour, where each night more or less had a different set list.

A lot of people think GN'R suck(ed) live. I don't, infact I think GN'R live is the best thing ever.

But it's really a matter of taste.

I don't want to see retarded assholes jumping up and down on the spot with guitars they're not even playing.

[That means you Kurt]

I'd rather see Slash sit down for the entire show and Axl doing a snake-dance.

When GNR was good they were really good, but when Axl was struggling with his voice (e.g. RIR 91, 1st night) or when Slash was too wasted to play well (the Ritz 88), they sucked. Then again if they were firing on all cilinders, they rocked. Like in Chicago 92 the night they did Coma.

The same thing could be said for Zeppelin. Actually yes they were as good live as everyone says they were. Just listen to the How The West Was Won 3 CD set. But on later tours they got sloppy and weird, like on the 77 or 80 tours. But from 68 to 73 they were the greatest live band of that time. I mean they killed Deep Purple or Black Sabbath live... or Bob Dylan for that matter!

night train live ( teh noe of of live era) is the best song to ever be performed live imo

and axls voice live was price less

them and frank zappa to me always blew me away live....even tho ive never been to any of teh concerts.....i wasnt even born and gnr was just about over with when i was 2 or `3