Gn'R Guitar

patience69

maybe this board needs this, maybe not. If ppl who play guitar or bass have gnr related guitar-bass questions they can post here. Just an idea........

I play guitar and do not find it easy to play some of the Slash's licks.  He makes it look easy but maybe im just not good enough........

anywayz  lets c how this goes.........

Slash's sh*t gets a LOT easier if you not only learn the pentatonic and pentatonic-blues scales, but all 7 of the blues "boxes" that fit together to cover virtually the entire fretboard in any given key.  You'll find if you learn these boxes that it is almost the only thing Slash (and most blue-based guitarists) uses.  The alternative is to actually sit down and learn music theory for a couple of years so you can build the scales yourself - but the blues box is an easy way to accomplish virtually the same thing.  There is also a great technique guide on www.snakepit.org.  Slash uses TONS of triplets and arpeggios to sound really fast - and he is awesome at artificial harmonics, too.

Saul

• 2 years later...

can anyone have actually play the main solo for Sweet Child O' Mine? I can play the intro and the little solo's inbetween verses and chorus but I really need the main solo. I got some tabs off the net but somehow they don't make sense to me. If anyone know how or knows the proper tabs please send it to me or give me the URL

I do not play guitar... well my BF is trying to teach me the into to SCOM.... not going well. :rolleyes:

So don't shoot me if I am totally wrong, but isn't most of GNR's stuff played a half step down?

Oh And I think you need about a million $$$ to buy pedals.

Edited by axlwar

This thread will probably be moved, but anyway...

For the person up there asking about Sweet Child, I know what you mean about the Sweet Child main solo. I can (ahem) pretty much play it down to a tee these days, but when I was learning it, I was convinced that the tabs that I found for it (including the official AFD tab book) weren't 100% correct, particularly concerning that short, fast lick just after the wah-wah kicks in, leading into the main solo.

A little bit of patience, good use of staccato picking and legato techniques, and a wah-wah pedal will have you eating that solo up for breakfast B)

There is a program which may be very useful for all you guys who read the tablature system.It is called guitar - pro.You can download it from www.download.com.This program actually "plays" the song for you in any speed you want providing also the tablature lines.Now if you want to download gnr parts that are compatible with guitar - pro you can visit the HUB(put the word guitar - pro in the search machine of the gnr hub,belive me you can find all the tabs out there) or search in the internet for sites that have guitar - pro tabs. :krider:

I do not play guitar... well my BF is trying to teach me the into to SCOM.... not going well. :rolleyes:

So don't shoot me if I am totally wrong, but isn't most of GNR's stuff played a half step down?

Oh And I think you need about a million $$$ to buy pedals.

You only need one pedal to do slash's stuff. And that is only on a couple songs. He don't like pedals because he runs around the stage to much. He does use a jim dunlop cry baby wah-wah to play certain song but not that many.

Good luck with the intro is prolly the easiest thing of SLASH's to play in my opinion that i have found recently.

lilSLASH