Did anyone here see the old GNR live??

Gallagher Rose

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, I think I have posted something similar before.......but here we go.

10/27/1987 - The Paradise Club - Boston MA.

- This place holds about a 1000 people, and I consider this the best Rock N Roll Show I have seen in this lifetime.

The band was on fire, Axl was telling his old hitchhiking stories about Boston & New York between songs.

Just Amazing.

This show was three days before the famous CBGB's acoustic gig in NYC, I wish I had known I would drove out for it.

5/11/88 - The Orpheum Theater - Boston, MA.

- Another amazing show, they were still on fire as this point and played an extended set that including almost every song from Live Like A Suicide, Appetite For Destruction, and the unreleased at the time Lies material + off course Knockin' On Heavens Door which was also played at The Paradise show.

8/24/88 - Great Woods Amphitheater - Mansfield, MA. (opening for Aerosmith)

- by this time the Appetite For Destruction album had hit #1, and the Sweet Child single was #1 the week of this three night stint just outside of Boston. That said, the band seemed tired, Axl's voice sounded fried from a year on the road, and really has never sounded the same since. It was cool to see the bands rise to fame from the clubs, to the theaters, to arena's opening from one of their favorite bands. I also grew up listening to A-smith, so I was happy for them.....but the fire seemed to be gone at this gig.

I was still a huge GNR fan after this, I actually bought the Days Of Thunder soundtrack for "Knockin On Heavens Door (studio version)", and the Romanian Children Benefit album for "Civil War" the day they were released .

No retail U.S. singles were released for either song, if you wanted to buy it you had to buy these whole albums for the one new GNR recording. (this is long before the UYI albums get released)

Then they kicked out Steven Adler, I did not like this change.

- Then Izzy left.

- The annoying 'Don't Cry' vids

- The big stage sets with all the effects.

About here my love for GNR died for many years.

Basically it was not the same GNR as the AFD tour, I mean Slash used to plug straight into a Marshall, no effects at all.

To me, they were America's Sex Pistols.

I felt UYI GNR was missing this punk edge that made them great.

I never went to see GNR on the UYI tour,

I wish now that I had, but I had my reasons as I have stated above.

And I still believe GNR's best shows were played on the AFD Tour.

And no one has done it better since!

Edited by lost in the garden

@lost in the garden Thanks for sharing those stories, you're very lucky ;)

Unfortunately I was born in '90 and haven't seen them, but of course I want to. I think most people on this board and in the rest of the world want that, but you can't always get what you want.

Okay, I think I have posted something similar before.......but here we go.

- This place holds about a 1000 people, and I consider this the best Rock N Roll Show I have seen in this lifetime.

The band was on fire, Axl was telling his old hitchhiking stories about Boston & New York between songs.

Just Amazing.

This show was three days before the famous CBGB's acoustic gig in NYC, I wish I had known I would drove out for it.

5/11/88 - The Orpheum Theater - Boston, MA.

- Another amazing show, they were still on fire as this point and played an extended set that including almost every song from Live Like A Suicide, Appetite For Destruction, and the unreleased at the time Lies material + off course Knockin' On Heavens Door which was also played at The Paradise show.

8/24/88 - Great Woods Amphitheater - Mansfield, MA. (opening for Aerosmith)

- by this time the Appetite For Destruction album had hit #1, and the Sweet Child single was #1 the week of this three night stint just outside of Boston. That said, the band seemed tired, Axl's voice sounded fried from a year on the road, and really has never sounded the same since. It was cool to see the bands rise to fame from the clubs, to the theaters, to arena's opening from one of their favorite bands. I also grew up listening to A-smith, so I was happy for them.....but the fire seemed to be gone at this gig.

I was still a huge GNR fan after this, I actually bought the Days Of Thunder soundtrack for "Knockin On Heavens Door (studio version)", and the Romanian Children Benefit album for "Civil War" the day they were released .

No retail U.S. singles were released for either song, if you wanted to buy it you had to buy these whole albums for the one new GNR recording. (this is long before the UYI albums get released)

- Then Izzy left.

Basically it was not the same GNR as the AFD tour, I mean Slash used to plug straight into a Marshall, no effects at all.

I never went to see GNR on the UYI tour,

I wish now that I had, but I had my reasons as I have stated above.

And I still believe GNR's best shows were played on the AFD Tour.

And no one has done it better since!

A little add on:

GNR did an in store the next day at Strawberries records in Danvers, MA.

This was kind of cool.

I drew the circle GNR logo on the back of my jean jacket and had them all sign around it.

Good Times.

- Then Izzy left.

You're not alone.

I got to see the real Guns N' Roses twice.

Man, it must of been pretty cool to get to see buckethead like that. Did he give you a toy?

- Then Izzy left.

You're alone.

• 2 weeks later...

i saw gnr about five times in the late 80ies and early 90ies at different places in germany.

........first row of course ;)

at the first concert i was 18.

great years !!

Edited by anja

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Live show lineup order of preference

06-07 era

01-02 era

09-current era

91-93 era

86-89 era

Honestly If I had my choice I'd like to see Tracii era GNR. Not that the quality of the show would be better, but how many people can say they saw the truly original GNR?

Straight Diggity

Twice in 91-92.

And my sister saw their 1988 "Texas Jam" performance where they opened for INXS, were pissed, played like four songs and walked off stage. I think Axl mooned the crowd, can't remember exactly but not a high point for them.

I saw the first show after the St Loius riots, it was before Illusions came out. Skid Row played at 8:00, then a couple of hours rolled by, it got dark, fans started throwing stuff, chairs and so on. I turned to my friend and said "If they don't come out soon, there will be another riot tonight!" Just when I said that the lights went out, and the first notes of Jungle were played. Of course the place was so jacked up by that point, the place went berserk. Axl came out screaming in a bullet proof vest, it was awesome.

rock3

Also saw them with Metallica but the stadium show wasn't as good IMO. Too big and they were too far away. Could have seen them a third time but passed on it, now I wish I went since that was their last tour.

I thought they opened the show after the St. Louis riot with Perfect Crime. B-)

And no, I have never seen the old band live.