Gibson or Fender

READ POST BEFORE VOTING!  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, this is why you go into the guitar store, try out a shitload of guitars, and buy the one YOU like the most Try them on several amps as well. Let your ears, fingers, any eyes decide. You have to live with it, listen to it, and play it- not us. Opinions on guitars is a very biased subject- as you can see fom the thread so far. Narrow it down to 2 or 3 models of guitar you like (not brands) than come back and we can all possibly help you decide based on features, price etc. But Gibson V. Fender- all just opinions.

IMO...

Gibson for guitars, PRS second for guitars(much more versatile than Fender) but costs more

Definitely Fender for Basses over Gibson

Next up...

Tube v. Solid State

Hey, what about Sg's, heard someone trashing em, whats the big problem about them? dont know much about them but lots of awesome artists use them, Pearl Jam, Tony Iommi, Angus, Moby, etc...And since i cant afford the magnificent les paul standard i desire with all my life, i may have to cut it for a SG, so i was thinkin, whats up with them? anybody?

Hey, what about Sg's, heard someone trashing em, whats the big problem about them? dont know much about them but lots of awesome artists use them, Pearl Jam, Tony Iommi, Angus, Moby, etc...And since i cant afford the magnificent les paul standard i desire with all my life, i may have to cut it for a SG, so i was thinkin, whats up with them? anybody?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok you know how i don't like Gibsons, but oyu do i respect that. Ok Basically a SG is a thinner version of an LP without the Maple cap. So they are all Mahogany. This makes the bass not as tight. Also with the drasically reduced weight they can tend to be muddy sounding, not like the fat rich sound on an LP. On the upside though they are lighter, and much much more comfortable to play with very easy access to the upper frets. But i believe they sound muddy, i mean come on, how many artists do you see using an SG for a clean tone? very few. Infact Les Pauls are only about 1 grande more expensive (in Australia SG's are about 3000 and LPs are about 4000) so although a grande IS alot, you'll be buy a much better guitar.

Edited by johnezz

I have a Fender Squier(starter guitar), and it was great for the price and to start on...but now that I am becoming more advanced, and want to upgrade, I am going to buy an Epiphone(Gibson)...i prefer Gibson, because I think they look better and there's just something about them that atract me to them moreso then Fender.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am in the exact same position as you.

EXACT same position.

How long have you been playing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since last June, so a little over a year...you?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm also in the same situation, I've been playing since March/April so 1 and a half years.

Current guitar: Squier Bullet Strat

Guitar I'm hoping to get: Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus in Cherry Sunburst....

...mmm

654.jpg

:wub:

Edited by GNR'R

Guest gnr>everything
I have a Fender Squier(starter guitar), and it was great for the price and to start on...but now that I am becoming more advanced, and want to upgrade, I am going to buy an Epiphone(Gibson)...i prefer Gibson, because I think they look better and there's just something about them that atract me to them moreso then Fender.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

EXACT same position.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm also in the same situation, I've been playing since March/April so 1 and a half years.

Guitar I'm hoping to get: Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus in Cherry Sunburst....

...mmm

654.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah that's kinda freaky, that's the guitar I've been saving up for(right down to the color), and as already mentioned I have the Squier too :confused:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

EXACT same position.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...mmm

654.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah that's kinda freaky, that's the guitar I've been saving up for(right down to the color), and as already mentioned I have the Squier too :confused:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol :lol::blink:

hahahah gibson is winning  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So many ignorant ppl.

All the greatest guitarists used Fender PERIOD

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I laugh at your stupidity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehehe, i knew some Gibson fanatic was going to have a dig at me for saying that :P

It's so fun stirring ppl :lol:

But yeah, Custom made guitars own the fuck outta both Gibson and Fender.

I have no favourite, the two are better for different things - Fender is a lot better for beginners, has a much easier neck to play on, and is a lot easier to switch parts around and modify

Gibsons i think are better looking, and have a warmer, fuller tone, but part of that is just because of the humbuckers, put some humbuckers or hot rails in a strat and it sounds a lot fuller.

My favourite guitar is the fender toronado GT HH which is made by fender but has a maple body and humbuckers, giving it a les paulish sound

k, so i voted gibbs.

but:

you have to keep in mind that there are sounds you can get out of a a gibby that you cant get out of a fender and vice versa.

oranges: tomatoes.

ie:

epiphone and a mexican fender, right?

too many variables mang.

any one can make a three hundred dollar guitar and make it sound like gold; and anyone can make a three thousand dollar guitar sound like utter shite.

experience will make you appreciate the more subtle things in life my friend.

I voted for gibson, cause i like it for its sound. although like someone said best players like SRV, Hendrix, Gilmour, Clapton,Malmsteen, Jimi page use tele's, pete townshed also did, but in the other hand, Page, Slash, B.B. King, Angus Young, Zakk Wylde and the list goes on and on used Gibson. it depends on your influences and in what are you gonna play,

Hahaha! This is so stupid.

This is a GNR forum with predominantly GNR fans.

GNR fans like GNR music.

GNR music is Gibson Les Paul music.

GNR fans will go for Gibson.

I'm with This_Guy - they're built for different sounds. You won't get a good Strat sound out of a Les Paul and vice versa.

After watching Slash, I just want to grab a Gibson Les Paul and rip...but then I see David Gilmour play some Floyd tunes on his Fender Strat and that just makes me want to run down to the music store and play one of those. Then I hear Jimmy Page and jump back on the Gibson bandwagon. Then I hear SRV and I'm back to Fenders.

They're both great!

Gibon...why??

Gibson - Humbuckers...much better sound, Good for Rythm and lead, nice and heavy

Feders - Single Coils. Sounds too thin, crap for rythm work. Too light

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, door swings both ways,

Crap Humbuckers are muddy and indistinct sounding.

Crap Single Coils are brittle and thin sounding.

Excellent Humbuckers are full, rich and powerful.

Excellent Single Coils are clear, chimey, bell-like ring, and sing.

Single Coils are much much much better for a Clean tone, there is no denying that, and overdriven their tone is pure rock n' roll sounding.

Humbuckers, they are well known for a poor clean tone, but they make up for a more powerful overdrive and can handle metal.

Single Coils have much more character to them i think, and have alot of emotion when played right. They cut through the mix much better than humbuckers.

But if your playing Metal, then you have to use Humbuckers.

So if you want a guitar with an excellent tone for blues and rock n' roll and clean, go Fender.

If you want a more powerful tone for higher gain music like Metal, get a Gibson.

(If your not going to post why you picked "Gibson or Fender" then don't bother voting please)Hey I'm just starting to play guitar and I'm practicing on aucustic right now and trying to figure which guitar is better for just starting out on electric? Opinions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm just starting out too and I got a fender, the man in the shop said it was good for a first guitar and the sound is really good on it, the main reason I got it was because I liked the colour though! :P

(If your not going to post why you picked "Gibson or Fender" then don't bother voting please)Hey I'm just starting to play guitar and I'm practicing on aucustic right now and trying to figure which guitar is better for just starting out on electric? Opinions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm just starting out too and I got a fender, the man in the shop said it was good for a first guitar and the sound is really good on it, the main reason I got it was because I liked the colour though! :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rolleyes: typical girl answer.

Thought i'd add - I find fender necks a lot more playable.