Building the Johnezz-O-Caster

Post 1 - 25th August 05

Well ok, i'm building my first ever guitar :scared:

I'm doing this as a personal thing, but also as a school project, so most of it will be done at the school workshop, and ill take pics of the completed work i do when i do it. Building will take awhile about 2 months.

I've researched and researched till my eyes have bled, ive bought some books of How to Build Guitars.

Value for Money is what im going for.

Basically im building a Strat, thats not really a Strat. Firstly it has 24 Frets, and a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a Jazz in neck. The body is going to be Basswood. So yes for Strat purists, cover your eyes! This will be my METAL guitar rock3 . Reason i chose the Strat, well firstly its the easiest to make, also there are a HUGE amount of parts availible for making Strats this means they are cheaper too.

Make Basic desing (excuse my shit job at using Paint)

project06mw.jpg

I will slightly modify the design (so suggestions to change my design are welcome!), like head stock shape and colour, and whether to cut the lower horn deeper for better access to the 24 frets (or to even do 24 frets at all)

Ok well building your own guitar isnt cheap, the wood alone costed $150 AU and thats good because Basswood is a cheaper wood than Alder, Ash or heaven forbid Mahogany.

project13lj.jpg

Thats the wood in it's raw self, highly reakonisable as a guitar isnt it :P

I got this wood from a place in Sydney called Gilet Guitars, who have supplys for the professional guitar builder. I'm also using Titebond glue, which is very good, you cant use PVA or PVC lol.

project26rt.jpg

Here i have traced the shape of a Strat onto the Basswood body, I will later down the track use to to rough cut the shape on a Bandsaw.

It is preferable to use a 1 piece body, but they are hard to find, so 2 piece will do just fine. The joint line will be used as a centreline to which everything will be marked off.

project31dy.jpg

Now i could of just glued it together, flat piece against the other. But to make the join stronger i was advised to use biscuts to strenghen the join. I placed to biscuts to (hopefully) miss the cavities that will be routed out.

I have not glued it just yet, that will be done next lession in class. After that i will start on the neck and get that finished, The body is done last.

Well i havent got far yet, but i thought i may aswell make a start.

I will update when i can.

Happy guitar playing rock4

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a tough job to build a new guitar bascly out of nothing. I would ask the guys in guitar shops that repair guitars or take on old guitar and modify it to get a feeling for the "to do's" and "not to do's".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't worry, i've be-friend a professional guitar builder, he's helping me out.

that's cool I wish you good luck with keep us up to date with your results I'm interested in your progress. keep it up

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the kind words :)

I'll make sure to take as many pics as possible, and update when i can.

hopefully ill get alot of work done this week.

Edited by johnezz

How thick are you going to make the guitar? Are you going for the standard Strat thickness?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I might go for slightly thicker than Strat thickness.

That way i'll be able to recess the tremolo caviety cover without it hitting the bottom of the whammy bar block and springs.

I'm yet to glue it, i will hopefully do that tomorrow, just about to ring my guitar builder friend right now and ask for some tips for the next process.

• 2 weeks later...
Hows the guitar builidng going johnezz?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glued the body, just waiting for my Guitar Building friend to lend me the templates to rout out the body cavities (humbucker cavities, neck and tremolo cavities)

So i have a bit of a delay.

Ok well i FINALLY! got the templates today.

I'll will start the routing tomorrow, but here's a pic of what i've done up to now (which isn't much)

project45pq.jpg

Those are the templates, and as you can see the body is glued and i have levelled down the neck blank so it is now completely flat and ready for the next step after i do the body.

Thanks for your kind words guys, wish me luck tomorrow, i'll need it :lol:

Ok well i FINALLY! got the templates today.

I'll will start the routing tomorrow, but here's a pic of what i've done up to now (which isn't much)

project45pq.jpg

Those are the templates, and as you can see the body is glued and i have levelled down the neck blank so it is now completely flat and ready for the next step after i do the body. 

Thanks for your kind words guys, wish me luck tomorrow, i'll need it  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good luck man, looks great so far rock3

• 1 month later...

Well i haven't updated for AGES!

But i haven't got much work done, i ran into some major problems, but i have sorted them out and im back to building the guitar again.

I have just done the Neck cavity and i rough cut the shape of the body, it's looking more like a guitar now. The body is still too thick, i'll have to thickness it down, just the body is Basswood i think leaving it at that thickness will make the tone way too dark i dont maybe, what do you people think? It's very light, so weight wouldnt be an issue if i left it that thick.

project54oi.jpg

I also bought a pickguard for it, tortoise shell, it will look great on a black finish. I have gone with a H-S-H configuration which will give me a huge range of tones.

project64ig.jpg

Peace out rock3

Did some more work on the body today.

I made the body thinner, although i might of gone too thin, oh well that wouldn't matter too much.

I've also drill, then routed the cavity for the tremolo block.

I also made a start on the comfort cut for the arm, i used a spokeshave for that.

And i thought the body was too big so i'm reducing the size by about 1cm as you can see i have marked it out.

project79hw.jpg

MY BABIES HAVE ARRIVED!!!!

Hehehe, yes yes yes, thats right i finally got my pickups.

Seymour Duncan Jazz and JB, $330.

Arn't they beautys! I can't wait to finish my guitar and whack these babies in.

project88jf.jpg

Also i bought a bridge, not just any bridge, this one is a very good quality solid steel one, weights a tonne, but that means a hellva lot more sustain.

Also got pickup mouting rings, the little bag has all the screws and springs for the tremolo bridge.

project95ec.jpg

Rock on rock3