ROCK IN RIO 3

steve-o

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, they were some high points of the show as well as low points. A new band being together on such a huge stage, could of been overwhelming for them, and at the same time, not knowing what to expect out of Axl. Noticed he got a little pissed during Street Of Dreams and during Its So Easy. Then the crowd being a little tame during KOHD and Axl getting a little frustrated that the crowd wasnt really singing along. I dont think the sound was all that great, i remember they were some parts where i could barely hear Fincks guitar and other points where the sound just went over Axl's voice. But overall, the show was pretty good. The last moment of the show where Betta and Axl hugged was very touching and i got teary eyed myself.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The show is huge - maybe too big.

Some of the songs have a strange sound - especially Paradise City. The synths are either intentionally loud, or it's just a bad sound mix.

I suppose in a way it was only the second show overall for the 'new' band.

R.

The show is huge - maybe too big.

Some of the songs have a strange sound - especially Paradise City. The synths are either intentionally loud, or it's just a bad sound mix.

I suppose in a way it was only the second show overall for the 'new' band.

R.

Yeah , agree . Yes it wasnt the best show ever ...but we cant forget those were the first gigs . Can you imagine the pressure added also by the fact they were playuing for such a huge crowd ?

Seems that show was probably a very emotional one for Axl , being there with a new band ....wich also meant a new beggining , guess thats why we saw that moment with Beta , wich was quite lovely i have to say :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The band was really bad at this show, but the crowd (250,000 people) made the show get really BIG!

I remember that at the Show people kept asking the others if Buckethead was Slash with a Bucket and a mask lol

thats what i thought when i watched this in 2001. i was a gnr fan but didnt know anything about the new band.

this show is classic, its a bit like the ritz 88' show in the sense that its not exactly tight but thats part of the appeal.

best moments, intro scream to jungle, buckets its so easy outro solo, buckets robot during OMG, and (what got me into bucket in the first place) his madagascar solo. incredible.

oh and, GET THAT GUY OUTTA HERE, THAT GUY RIGHT THERE.

ok, nevermind.

• 2 months later...

I remember seeing the show for the first time in 01 and I was just in shock almost...the band sounded good to me. But Axl's voice sounded like crap to me. I mean. WIth all the sounds we have heard him sing before, the boots, the demos, etc..his voice was so mickey mouse..but as I continued to watch..i started to fallin love with the show and the performance that the band was doing..and how emotional Axl seemed during Madagascar, Patience and November Rain. To this day. Those performances of those three songs are my favorite. And At the end..Axl thanking Beta has me a bit chocked up being that was really the first time we ever saw Axl show that side of him. It was a truly touching moment. Of course the show had its funny moments like GET THAT GUY OUT OF HERE..YOU LISTENING TO ME MR. SECURITY MAN...THAT GUY..GONE!! YEAH..GOIN!! HAND ME THAT SHIRT...HAND ME THAT SHIRT...thank you...lol.

As far as Axl weight goes...At first I thought he looked fat...but then as the show continued..he didnt look fat, he looked more fit, you could see he had definition with his stomach. I think the only thing that made him look fat was his posture. And the fact we hadnt seen the guy since 94, technically during the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame performance. He was skin and bones still. Over the years, he still looks to be in great shape and has more muscle on him that alot of people mistaken for him being overweight or fat. Thats the thing about Axl. His body and frame, we are all not use to him having meat on his body. Thats just my take on it any who.

Edited by WWEROSES

Rio 2001 was a great performance physically from Axl, but his voice was shit.

The Vegas 1/1/01 bootleg shows his voice from that time as tolerable, so I think the sound mix for Rio (much like the Rio soundmix in 2006) was off.

Listen to "Oh My God" at the end when the instruments cut out - his voice sounds way better than at anytime else during the song.

• 3 weeks later...
I was there, and believe me..it was magnificent, mostly because Axl and the band were on fire.

Honestly, two things surprised me during the concert; Buckethead, because most of the people thought he was Slash with a mask, and how fat Axl was.

Man, I regret so much I missed that concert. I was in another planet those days, I really didn't even think about it! But recently when I got my head back on place I went to see the footage of the "fat Axl" like everyone pointed out (it was the only subject on the news the day after the show) but I thought he was so sexy! And yes, on fire! He has a glint in his eyes, you can see how Axl and the whole band are playing with their hearts out. I don't care how it sounded, really. A concert is much more about the vibe and feelings it passes on to the crowd than anything else, IMO.

Well, i sure do like better the band with Bucket rather than with DJ... Don't know why but i like more Bucket Head, for me, he invented a way of playing

• 3 months later...

Axl doesn't sound that bad at all when just listening to the show. I would say he sounds better on this show than most of the 2002 tour. And I think it was the best that version of the band sounded. They certainly had their distinct sound on both old and new songs that no other era has had. His voice is kind of a half way point between the 2002 and 2006 voices. I mean, you can tell when he's running around, but I think his voice was pretty good even during those. But it really is a show to be watched. The opening of the show is probably a top 3 all time GNR moment. The sea of people just flipping their shit after the video, then the band starting and the pretty amazing opening scream. That's Axl busting on the stage at the Freddy Mercury show levels of awesome.

There certainly were better shows before and after, but that one is pretty unique. I feel this was the best live performance of Chinese Democracy, too. To me, that is vocally Axl's weakest song every show from 2006 on. He actually sounds very similar to the really weak vocals from the very first demo, but then does the sort-of chorus in super rasp that just doesn't sound right. I don't think I've heard a live version as good as this one. Shit, it took him ten years to sing it like he knew all the words again. Axl was so happy to show off the new band and new songs. And the people were so happy to have him back. The performance of KOHD was pretty special, too. His voice was super clean without being the helium voice.

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

That clip with Beta is just :cry: its so weird seeing this strong megastar and rock idol you look up to cry.

That show was geared towards confidence boasting if anything. It's a good show.

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta agree with Stro. It was diff a great show. And Axl didn't sound as bad as some people make it out to be. I just watched the concert last night again. And something that keeps bugging me is that people kept claiming that Axl is fat or was fat. But at certain points of he had abs and didnt look fat at all. Anyway. I loved the show and I diff. thought it was better than the Rio show in 06. This show just had a certain appeal to it. And some of the songs performed at the show are my favorite live verisons.

• 4 weeks later...

The Vegas 1/1/01 bootleg shows his voice from that time as tolerable, so I think the sound mix for Rio (much like the Rio soundmix in 2006) was off.

Listen to "Oh My God" at the end when the instruments cut out - his voice sounds way better than at anytime else during the song.

I never noticed before, but you're right. When the instruments cut out, his voice is actually pretty decent. Similar tone to how he sounds now, just less powerful obviously.

Edited by Paul Stanley

• 5 months later...

I never noticed before, but you're right. When the instruments cut out, his voice is actually pretty decent. Similar tone to how he sounds now, just less powerful obviously.

Yeah, I heard it too.

His voice sounded very rasped during those few second's compared to the other song's at the show.

Guest siliconmessiah

Lovely :

:rofl-lol:

LOL at the guy at 0:36.

Isn't that Tommy LOL

It´s Tommy. And it is funnny!

Seems like he slipped on the drum tambourine...

• 3 weeks later...

The band was really bad at this show, but the crowd (250,000 people) made the show get really BIG!

I remember that at the Show people kept asking the others if Buckethead was Slash with a Bucket and a mask lol

thats what i thought when i watched this in 2001. i was a gnr fan but didnt know anything about the new band.

this show is classic, its a bit like the ritz 88' show in the sense that its not exactly tight but thats part of the appeal.

best moments, intro scream to jungle, buckets its so easy outro solo,

i never noticed that part until just now. incredible.

wayyy back when i loved all the moments you mentioned. I loved patience too. I thought Finck actually nailed that song. Nr axl sang beautifully too, now that i think about it. LALD :D

Edited by Bucketslash