Albany 2002

monkey27

The show started around 7:30 with an amazing set by the incredible CKY!  This band was unfortunately unappreciated while they played through CKY fan favorites like: Flesh Into Gear, 96 Quiet Bitter Beings, Human Creation Station, and my personal Favorite, Disengage the Simulator.  They were awesome!

After CKY's set ended, Mix Master Mike came on stage with a set that went too long.  His mixing skills were absolutely incredible, but the fans were getting restless for GNR!  He went on to mix every style of music you could think of, like: Rush, Zepplin, White Zombie, Linkin Park, House of Pain, and my personal favorite was a mix in honor of Jam Master Jay that repeated over and over again, "Jam Master Jay, Rest In Peace."

The wait between Mix Master Mike and GNR was incredibly to long.  It lasted almost an hour!  To help make it through the down time the shows announcer spoke on the P.A. system, "All right ladies, take those puppies out!"  The Big screen was a better look at close to a 100 women and Girls baring their breasts and sometimes other assets for an hour.  

Finally, GNR hit the stage with what I thought was an amazing show!  This coming from me, a fan that has been doubtful of the new band, was blown away at how great all of them were.  My first thought was, I will watch Axl the whole time.  Nope!  His new band was incredible and and I am sorry I ever doubted them.  They opened with Welcome to the Jungle, and played tons of their hits from all the albums except The Spaghetti Incident (thank god!)  The show went on for almost 2 hours and included:  Live and Let Die, November Rain, Patience, Rocket Queen, Sweet Child O' Mine, My Michelle, Knockin on Heavens Door, Paradise City, and You Could Be Mine.   They also threw in 2-3 new songs, such as madagascar and the blues.

Axl stopped to crack a little on his old band mates and try to explain his diplomacy and what it was like to tour with them.  Although it hurt to hear his opinion, he was not as angry as you would expect.  If you missed this show, well start regretting it now!  This show absolutely rocked!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great show, and with any luck the venues will start to fill up as word of this wonderful spectacle gets out.

You'd have to call me an Axl convert. I went to the show out of curiousity as a Buckethead fan of 10 years' standing. Given Axl's somewhat-less-than-reliable rep and the tech problems that have cropped up on the tour to date, I didn't know what to expect.

But everything clicked at the Albany gig. Stunning visuals and audio (for an arena), and the band was running on ROCKET FUEL. It's now, what, three weeks into the tour, and the bugs are all ironed out, this potentially unwieldly band is meshing into one tight unit and Axl was in fine voice--pray it holds out.

And you've got to give Axl credit for pulling this unit together--he does have cojones, if nothing else. Having Buckethead as a featured soloist is not an intuitive choice (ol' Buckyboy himself didn't really understand why Axl pursued him)--especially when you've got the ghost of Slash hovering over your every move--but I think crafty ol' Axl wanted to blow any memory of Slash out of people's brains, and Buckethead is a HUGE success in this regard, and not just because of his pseudo-psycho theatrics. His chops are just about untouchable, as I'm sure Slash would be the first to admit. Seeing Buckethead tower above the proceedings in an arena spotlight, driving the band through "Freight Train" with one of the most intense solos ever laid down live, made converts of most of the crowd. Axl is doing the public a favor bringing the masked marvel to a broader audience.

This old fart was also a big Replacements fan who last saw Tommy Stimson 18 years ago at the old Ritz in New York, and it was great to see him quite happy and healthy.

Some of you may have read the Albany Times Union review by Greg Somebody ???, who apparently belongs to that fetid pack of media rats who has some preconceived notion of how an artist should perform and behave, a bad case of rock 'n roll myopia that blinds him to whatever wonderfulness is happening before his eyes and ears right here, right now. As a journalist myself, I'm ashamed of this cynical, derivative hack, and all those like him.

Thanks for letting me ramble on, kids. If you can catch this tour, by all means do so.

I agree. the Albany show was great.. I had no Idea was I was in for.. CKY was great, I think they need to work on their act, And we could have lived without MixMasterMike, But he was great at what he does I will give him that.. The GN'R show was the best that I ever could have imagined.. Axl was in a great mood, joking around... It was great I am still kinda lost for words.. I hope they come back around..

Albany definitely rocked....me and my friend got to the Pepsi at about noon and started waiting for the GA Floor.  Being my first Guns show, this wait seemed like nothing.  You could tell who the loyal Gunners were as the line started to form around 3:30.   Nothing was gonna hold me back from being front row, center stage.  Axl nailed every note and the rest of the boys rocked.  The show was unbelievable and I can't wait for Hartford.

Hey what's going on?  yeah that was me... I wish I had a Garden ticket... went to Hartford last night and it seems the band is getting stronger with each show... I was in the middle of the floor, but that didn't even come close to the Albany show...that was special.  Possibly going to Philly Fri. night...

::)  hi  gnr is coming december 17 and i want to  get a pic with axl rose i dont know how to do that i need to know  in wich hotel  they'll be and what  time they 'll be at  the airport well if i can not get it (the picture) i'll be glad  if they give us (texans) a great show!! ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D :o:P[glow=red,2,300]TEXT[/glow][tr][/tr][tr][/tr][glow=red,2,300]TEXT[/glow][glow=red,2,300]TEXT[/glow]

[i was in the middle of the floor, but that didn't even come close to the Albany show...that was special.  Possibly going to Philly Fri. night...

Yeah, Albany was special, he sounded better than when I saw him in Las Vegas last year...  Albany is bound to be a classic show, and a few people got the show on tape...

I'm going to Philly on Friday, and maybe to the Sunday show...  

I'm sure Axl will top himself at the Garden...  can't wait!

• 3 months later...

hey, i would love to talk to any guys/girls who went to that show.. it was kickass... everything went well except that we had to wait..  but boy was it worth it!! axl proved to me that he can still be great without slash and did even better with bucket.. awesome show.. peace...

• 3 weeks later...

hey- i saw the show- deffinately kickass. i was sick as hell that night, i had a huge headache, and believe me, Mix master Mike didnt help... but the minute the band took the stage, i felt great. the show was awesome- i didnt really know what to expect, but i deffinately felt like Axl still had it...most of it, anyway. Even tho the new band played really well...i did notice myself closing my eyes a few times, picturing slash, duff, izzy etc. on that stage with Mr. Rose...but hey, what i saw was deffinately better than nothing.

hey- i saw the show- deffinately kickass. i was sick as hell that night, i had a huge headache, and believe me, Mix master Mike didnt help... but the minute the band took the stage, i felt great. the show was awesome- i didnt really know what to expect, but i deffinately felt like Axl still had it...most of it, anyway. Even tho the new band played really well...i did notice myself closing my eyes a few times, picturing slash, duff, izzy etc. on that stage with Mr. Rose...but hey, what i saw was deffinately better than nothing.

the shortest review ever.

Well said though :)

• 4 months later...

I posted this a little while ago but no one responded to it!! I wanna know if anyone here went to the Albany concert in 2002?? I was right in front of the stage and it was f*ckin awesome!! Me and my friends were about 15-20 ft away at first and then this big guy kinda bumped us up right in front!! It was sweet, I wanna know if you guys have been there and what you thought of it?? :-*

• 2 weeks later...