London, Ontario 2002

I'm going the the London ON show on the 30th. I'm so pumped... Finally!!! Is anyone else here checking that show out, or the night before in 'T dot'?

I caught the performance at the MTV awards and here's the deal... Axl's voice was toast. I taped that thing and watched it over and over trying to figure out if there was something that I was missing. Here's my question to anyone that went to the shows recently: Is his voice back in order or what? At the awards show, he had no rasp and the power wasn't there. It was like me, trying to sing in the car. I keep hearing that the shows are stellar and Axl's voice is top again, but is it? Is it really? I GOTTA KNOW!!!!

I just got back from the show in London, ON.

This was quite frankly one of the most amazing concerts I have been too. The energy was so high, and the Labatt's Centre was filled to the brim with not a seat to be found.

The show was scheduled for 7:30 pm, but CKY didn't even get on until about 8:00. They quite frankly were...not good. They banged out the same sounding tunes for about 40 minutes. The lead singer was using fuck as a common adjective. They got very little heat, and there was kind of a sigh of relief when they left the stage. Nothing really went on until about 9:00 when Mix Master Mike came on. Same story with him as with CKY, just sounded the same all night. I could handle him for the first little while, but he overstayed his welcome, staying on until about 10:15. At around 9:10ish there was a rumour going around that Axl left Toronto around 20 minutes ago, and the weather was really bad, so Toronto is about 2 hours from London. Needless to say the crowd was beginning to get impatient. GNR chants started up in some sections of the building. The video camera's then came on and started going around the building zooming in on hot women, about 1 in 4 would take their shirt off, or show their ass. This went on for about 40 minutes, and kind of kept the crowd occupied.

Than at about 11, the lights just went off and smoke started to fill the arena. The sold out 10,000  crowd was going crazy. The opening cords of Welcome to the Jungle started playing, and then the gigantic curtain covering the set dropped to reveal the boys baning out the song. The set was awesome, it was large and in charge and had about 5 tv screens, multileveled and tons of spotlight,s sirens and what not. Before the lyrics started, this enormous burst of fire just shot up. Amazing! Axl came out wearing a Team Canada olympic hockey jersey (he later changed into a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey, a London Knights OHL Hockey team jersey, and a Toronto Maple Leafs Away jersey).

The setlist was good, short because of the late start, but good. Axl was amazing, he never missed a beat, his voice was perfect. High points of the night, outside of the opening were Live and Let Die with a lot of pyro, November Rain, Patience, Sweet Child O' Mine, and of course the encore. When the boys came out to do Paridice City, the place was wild. Axl was ripping right into this. At the end of the song they had fireworks and explosions going off everywhere and shot confetti all over the place. Absolutley amazing. They got off the stage at about 1 in the morning.

All in all it was a great show, I know this may sound disjointed, but its late, if you have any questions I didn't answer just reply with them and ill try to answer them. If you have tickets to see GNR his tour, get ready for an awesome show.

...  Axl came out wearing a Team Canada olympic hockey jersey (he later changed into a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey, a London Knights OHL Hockey team jersey, and a Toronto Maple Leafs Away jersey)....

Gee, with that many different costume changes, he really must have wanted to make sure he didn't leave ANY team out. lol.  I mean, isn't an OHL hockey team just a minor league junior A team?

Sounds like a good show though.

Any rants?  If so, which topics were on his mind?

I was going to try to write a review as well, but RAIN2003 covered it all. Except for one thing that I thought was pretty noteworthy. At the end of the show, as Paradise City began, the screens had a big Canadian flag waving. I thought that was pretty classy. :)

The band seemed to be pretty consistant with their 10:30-10:40 showtime. Our show was at 10:50. I guess it's the Canadian conversion...

The only beefs I had was with Robin, who seemed kinda sloppy when soloing. The flasher thing got outta hand with guys tugging on girls to get them to disrobe. That wasn't cool. Otherwise a spectacular night.

AXL IS BACK. No one can tell me otherwise. Bottom line.

PS. The hats were $45!! I got one, but DAMN! ...I also bought a shirt. :)

Yes, no bullshit, Axl Rose is back in top form!  Ever since seeing them in Cleveland, I've been wondering what the hell was wrong at the VMAs.  I've heard several live GNR performances, and his voice is noticeably BETTER than it was back in the early nineties.  He runs around the stage like a maniac and hits every note and holds them for what seems like forever.  When you go, listen to Live and Let Die and you'll see what I mean.

His voice matches Rock In Rio3 a lot... from a couple of years ago. I saw the Toronto show..and here are a few things:

1. Sound man should be fired... From what I 've heard TO was one of their best nights yet...and still he didn't have Axls voice loud enough...

2. I think everyone says that "his voice is back in full force" is full of shit. Fuck the man has a great range... improved it over the last decade... but.. he doesn't have the powerful rasp he used to... in one song.. in Toronto... i forget which one...he was singing the new axl way... and all of a sudden..kicked in some deadly rasp and power...that was cool... For the most part..he's holding back... and in my opinion night train was the best for his voice that night.

3. The cconcert was cool.its well worth the money...just don't go and expect to hear axl's illusions voice... its different..and he's lower in the mix...

I've only heard a few bad reviews,  the majority were very positive.  The bad reviews, I'm sure, came from jealous people, crap reporters, or Slash lovers.  Anyway, who's Slash? Always go foreward!  I certainly didn't hear any complaints at the Tacoma Dome.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Ok, I know it has been 9 months since the tour, but I have just found this forum and I am a prick, so here it goes.

This message is for anyone who had their venue cancelled during the 2002 tour.

I live in Niagara Falls, ON, Canada, (Whoopee!) My point is this.  I drove 2 hours to see GNR in Toronto and I had a great time. I had decent seats, not the floor, but a good view (especially of the 2 women making out right across from me,,, sweet!) Show was good.

Then, I got home and went to sleep dreaming of the amazing time I had just had.  I awoke from my dreams and got ready to leave my house... why??? cause I had 4 front row tickets for the London, ON concert! ya baby... I saw them 2 times in a row, 2 nights in a row. Front row seats, (for those of you there, I was the nut on the west side in the front who was happily doped up on speed!) Ya, so anyways, I got to see the fireworks close up (they were fucking hot!) And what did my friend and I do with the 2 remaining tickets? NOTHING! we let a couple honeys move up a row, but we were jackasses and kept them for ourselves!  

After seeing both shows (so close together) I was able to make a good judgment on what show was better.. London kicked ass! And Im not just saying that cause some chick was rubbing her titties up and down my back the whole night!  One thing I have to add to the night.... Everyone but me were a bunch of deadbeats! A GNR concert and you stand there like it is past your bed time! no dancing, Moshing, crowd surfing jumping fans! NOTTA, except me. I was so pumped I wanted to start a Chinese War! But no support from the other so called fans... In conclusion, I will always remember the concerts (most likely the last for GNR) and I got to see them twice when thousands of you didn't get to see them at all!  Back Off Bitch!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...