Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

St. Louis remembered

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

mwillmz

mwillmz

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • 16-April 03
Hey all,

I was at the show in St. Louis in '91 and thought I'd write about it.

By that point I was a huge GN'R fan. I remember reading the Rolling Stone cover stories with Axl and Slash (separate issues) describing the "new songs." With both "Appetite" and "Lies," it was apparent that they were capable of delivering awesome, powerful, soulful music in a variety of styles. The possibilities were endless for the new album. Excitement was high.

The concert was July 5th, I believe, at the Riverport Amphitheatre near St. Charles, MO (a western suburb of St. Louis that sits on the Missouri River). It was a typical, warm, muggy evening in St. Louis. By that time, "You Could Be Mine" and, of course, "Civil War" were out. People were pretty excited about the show.

Skid Row opened for GN'R while it was still daylight. Many tunes were from "Slave to the Grind" and it sounded pretty cool. They weren't nearly half as cool as GN'R but that album debuted number one when it finally came out. Not bad.

After a few beers...and sunset, the house lights went down and "Everybody Knows" by Leonard Cohen blasted over the speakers. GN'R was right there!!!!!!!!!

They blasted out on stage with "Perfect Crime." Axl sprinted out to the center of the stage to sing the song. He had a chest protector, kilt, and an NWA hat on, I think. The song rocked!!!!

They settled into "Brownstone" and "Live and Let Die."

I don't remember the exact song list but I believe they played...
Dust and Bones
You Could Be Mine
November Rain - to introduce "November Rain," Axl mentioned that the song had already sold a million bootleg copies. Kinda cool. Most everyone there hadn't heard it before though. It sounded really cool, particularly the guitar solo at the end.
14 Years - With Dust and Bones, I got to hear two Izzy songs which was cool. He was clearly the soulful singer-songwriter of the group.
Double Talkin' Jive
Civil War - I think.
Welcome To The Jungle
Slash's solo "The Godfather"
(the order of the songs is foggy now. forgive me.)
All in all, it was pretty good but they had gaps between nearly every song. The flow of their show wasn't that great in my opinion.

....then Rocket Queen.

At the time, Rocket Queen was a favorite of mine (and still is). It was really cool to hear the beginning of the song. Everything was going well, then you hear Axl yelling about something in the front row....then he dives in the crowd!

The band kinda kept tempo for a moment. Then stopped. Axl reappeared, uttered his famous lines then left the stage. Then, eventually the band left. I think Slash even walked up to the mike and said "I guess we're done" or something like that.

Everyone was astonished. WHAT THE F*CK JUST HAPPENED?!!!!!
It was stunning. 2/3 the way through and it's over???!!!!!

A minute lingered, then the house lights came up. Everyone went ape sh*t after that. People couldn't believe it. I stood there for a minute with my friend and he decided he wanted to go home. So we left.

It wasn't until I got home that my older sister told me that it turned into a riot. Kinda pathetic.

I think I know some people that allegedly rioted at that concert. They ran up on stage and kicked the drum kit or something. Seats were torn up, people got hurt. Basic stupidity. Now, most of these people are probably in the early 30's and have wives and kids, living in the burbs, etc. I doubt that many are still rabid fans or at all interested in Axl's new project.

There was a significant backlash against GN'R in St. Louis following the concert. I felt somewhat robbed of a full concert. When you're putting down your own cash to see a show, you don't want any bullsh*t. However, it happened. The consolation to myself was that I just witnessed a notorious concert. That's all.

I was there and you probably weren't. Somehow, it became legendary but it was really just pathetic. Axl was a tantrum-throwing brat that night, pure and simple.

Why did I still like GN'R afterwards when I had no reason to?

Because they had balls, they were different and they rocked....much harder and truer than their peers. I guess I accepted the bullsh*t and appreciated the attitude.
You either like it or you don't.
That fall, UYI I & II came out. Izzy eventually quit and Nirvana and Pearl Jam took over the music scene.

The friend I went to the concert with is now married and has three kids in the suburbs of St. Louis. GN'R couldn't be further from his mind. For whatever reason, I'm still a fan. I root for Axl and what he's attempting. He's going to have to build a new core audience if he wants to reach the same level of success as before. As evidenced by the last tour, the current core only holds a few hundred thousand people (self included).

I wish Axl a lot of luck and hope he kicks ass. Hope this fall is the beginning of something awesome.

Peace!

• Guests
  • 0 posts
  • --
Dude, I know I can't really speak for you, because I wasn't there.....I don't know what it would have been like....but what I can say is thats one of the reasons I like Axl....he does what he feels...he's not gonna put up with someone takin pics of him and shit....he speaks his mind....sometimes it may be right, and may be wrong,  but its him,  and thats what i like

• Guests
  • 0 posts
  • --
Yeah, that's one of the greatest GNR moments ever. The controversial and dangerous element was one of the things that made GNR. Sure, we all loved the songs, but we also loved that badass, unpredictable part to GNR. They seemed to hit that raw, untamed image perfect.

NBKNAS

NBKNAS

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • 23-April 03
stop over sensitizing what happened.. i was at montreal.. we didn't even get an opener act cause metallica burnt their ass.. and axl sang 14 min and left.. it was the greatest time of my life.. we ran wild like gnr fans destroying everything in sight  ;D

50,000 fan riot on the streets

who cares... boo freaking hoo! WE ARE THE FUEL of the GN f'n R fire!
'Sworn To FUN! Loyal to NONE!'

• Guests
  • 0 posts
  • --
These 2 incidents are the 2 most publicized GNR riots. These nights made GNR legendary. There was a time when they were the most dangerous band in the world.

Scarface109

Scarface109

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • 25-July 03
you can hear some people say ''what the fuuuck''  after he leaves. Then Slash says ''we're outta here'' and waves then the lights dim. It's cool, cuz in the movie of it, the fight between axl and the guy is taped and you see it happening, plus the music is still going on....it's like a fight scene from a movie. ''dom dom dom dom dom dom'' ''bom bom bii bom bom bo doi'' that's how the music sounds

GNR1066

GNR1066

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • 03-January 03
i liked how the rest of the band just continues to play...

PrEttY TiED uP

PrEttY TiED uP

OH MY GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts
  • 09-February 03
cool (or not) mwillmz thanks for sharing :)

i guess it was pretty bad ass, i dont no who the blame is on but axl wasnt the bad guy (at least the only one) what about the guy, he shouldbt have taken the film, what about the security, they should have listened to Axl.. if they had then this wouldnt have happened. but all said and done its over, and it was horrific but in a sad and shallow kind of way it was rock n roll, and i respect them for that time when they were everything a rock n roll band should be

Posted Image
What's she thinking
She'll never get enough...

Duffan

Duffan

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts
  • 08-August 02
It Was the scecurity they were lame-ass and that's why the riot brike out , everyone got mad If they were better then Axl wouldn't have left and there woulda been no riot .

Peace GnR Nation  8)
Posted Image

Takin' it sooooo eeeeasssyyy!!!

Cornell

Cornell

OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 4,731 posts
  • 25-March 03
I was at the Philly riot which I guess is kinda famous because it ended the damn tour!  >:(

I'm one of those people that saw them from the beginning and has kids and lives in the suburbs.  All my friends think that I'm crazy for even thinking about GNR. I'm like some kinda GNR freak to them.  ::)
Posted Image

• Guests
  • 0 posts
  • --
How couldn't they remember... :)

PrEttY TiED uP

PrEttY TiED uP

OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 4,549 posts
  • 09-February 03

I was at the Philly riot which I guess is kinda famous because it ended the damn tour!  >:(

I'm one of those people that saw them from the beginning and has kids and lives in the suburbs.  All my friends think that I'm crazy for even thinking about GNR. I'm like some kinda GNR freak to them.  ::)

dont worry, we're all GNR freaks together here.. i bet not one of us hasnt had some shit about it from one time or another 8) we're just better than them!

Posted Image
What's she thinking
She'll never get enough...

damnthehaters

damnthehaters

Junior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • 28-July 03
So now think about this.  Do you think that Axl didn't show up to those two shows in Vancouver and Philadelphia this last tour because he wanted to show his true fans that he and GNR will be that same?  The same meaning, dangerous, spontanious, and dont give a fuck attitude.  Or do you think it was because of some other reason?

S.P.I.K.E.

S.P.I.K.E.

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts
  • 22-April 03
probly that axl can be a bit lazy

www.elsewhere.net u know!
Posted Image

JONEZY

JONEZY

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,302 posts
  • 30-June 05
Hey Mwillmz, I was at the Riverport riot too. I finally found someone on this board that was at the show.

I'd like to add a few comments if I may:
When Axl threw down the mic, the feedback/bong/sound was loud as hell and lasted for about 5 seconds before the sound guy turned it off. Everybody knew something was wrong. I remember the house lights coming on soon after, along with some music piped in thru the speakers, and the roadies immediately coming out to unplug shit, etc..
My friend was pissed and wanted to leave, I said, "hold on, lets see what happens, they might come back on" (I hoped they would)

First the boos and Bullshit chants started, then some beer cups were thrown on stage. Some guy on Izzy's side of the stage managed to get up on stage and began to pull the rope's that held up the video screen. Then someone got up on stage and ran up behind the drums, (big roar from the crowd) then a cop came out behind the curtain and beat him with a club(big FUCK YOU from the crowd).

Then the CRACKING SOUND! Didn't know what it was at first, but they were breaking the seats, then they started to throw them at the stage. A few minutes later, about 7-8 cops in riot gear came out from behind the drums and stood there. One of them got hit with a chair/seat, and they said "FUCK THIS NOISE" and left. The crowd had won. (somewhere in that time frame tear gas was used in the front of the stage, the cops denied it, but I saw it. It happened)
Then, the blue seats started flying like frisbees. Could not believe what I was seeing. A lot of people must have been injured by those flying seats.

Then a helicopter flew over, all hell was breaking loose. At that point, a few guys behind us started to break their seats, one guy took his seat and slammed it against one of the pillars holding up the roof. Then we left.

I bummed a smoke from somebody, as we were leaving, we saw all the johnny on the spots turned over.(I feel for the people who had to clean that up)

Made it out to the truck, the 12-pack we had was warm(forgot to bring a cooler),
but we popped one anyway, and offered a beer to anyone who had a smoke. People offered us peices of speaker/amp, etc for a beer, but we wanted smokes. No takers. We finally left the field we parked in, and made it out without a scratch.

Thats my take.

PS: I need to get the DVD of the riot. Any help will be appreciated.