Boston 2002

livelikeasuicide

New Guns almost as good

by Sarah Rodman

Tuesday, December 3, 2002

Guns N' Roses, at the FleetCenter, last night.

It was better than most people probably expected it would be, but not quite as amazing as it could've been.

You didn't have to be a fanatical Guns N' Roses purist to look at the disparate collection of musicians who arrived onstage 90 minutes late at the FleetCenter last night and think that, as good as the new guys are as players - and some of them are amazing - the blood, sweat and tears connection to the music just wasn't there.

But even though the eight men onstage looked like they all belonged to different bands - which most of them used to - they still managed to hit some ferocious hard rock heights that had the surprisingly packed arena screaming themselves hoarse, perhaps getting out all the howls they've stored up over the last 10 years waiting for the return of the L.A. rockers.

Given his dismal performance at the MTV Music Video Awards it was a thrill to hear Axl Rose - in a genial, goofy mood - hitting those familiar high notes as he asked the audience, ``Do you know where you are?'' in the full throttle opener ``Welcome to the Jungle.'' He also snagged every shredded whoa-oh-oh during ``Sweet Child O' Mine'' and ably whined his way through the grandiose ballad ``November Rain.''

The 40-year-old Rose - who sported Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins jerseys throughout the night - proved he's in fighting shape as well, careening around the stage, jumping off platforms and generally flailing about as he worked out the gruff growls of the galloping ``It's So Easy'' and the fiery boogie of ``Mr. Brownstone.''

A few new tunes, from the long-in-coming Chinese Democracy album, made it into the set including the lilting ``Madagascar'' and the anthemic title track.

Each of the guys in the band held their own, bringing precision to the proceedings with special kudos going to the three guitarists - Robin Finck, KFC-bucket adorned axeman Buckethead and Richard Fortus - who took turns playing Slash's familiar, searing licks and monster drummer Brian Brain Mantia.

At midnight, as this was still being written, Buckethead had just finished up his bizarre midshow guitar solo/nunchucka display/robot dance/Star Wars Theme recital and the band had kicked into ``Chinese Democracy,'' the 13th song of what was reportedly a 16-song set.

Although to some fans, the GNR onstage last night at the Fleet was only an incredible simulation, it was a convincing re-enactment for the nostalgic and appreciative crowd.

CKY kicked it, and was well recieved - no spitting on the audience, no obnoxious fans.  Mix Master Mike was amazing, the audience loved him, he really had the place moving.  After a good hour wait and some typical GNR flashing the show kicked off.

The band came out with an unprecidented amount of energy and raw power.  The audience went nuts - GNR was back in a big big way.  The security was tight on the the floor, the cops were shoving people and were generally dicks, but it made for a more aggressive environment which added to the energy.

Things cooled off with a very peaceful harmonic version of Knocking on Heavens Door.  The band was intruduced in due course, and then Robin Finke did a soul bending guitar solo, nothing too much, but it just hit some incredible sounds I've never heard on guitar before - these guys know how to play.  Then Bucket head did his thing - played a kicking solo from his Colma album, played it with the precision and speed that he is famous for.  The 3 new songs were all played well.  Axl was goofy the whole night, seemed really happy about the place.  The serious angered depressed veil seems to have been lifted.  It was a great night, we're fortunate to have Axl around.  So many other performers have sold out  - Like Steven Tyler, or succumed to their demons and addictions like Cobain and Stanley.  But we still have Axl, and the world is just a little cooler with a voice as powerful as his in it.

GNR is a different band, and they have evolved with the times, riding the technological innovations of music, on the forefront of progression and style.  Axl has found peace, and we've found some great Music.

Long Live GNR!!

Well stated 5th. A poetic and quite insightful review. I think that as time passes the tour is going to continue to gain steam and I think we all agree that when CD appears the concerts will take on a different focus. Consequently, for the reasons you stated, the first time around might be the best time to hear the old favorites. Thanks for your review and your support of good music. As Maynard of Tool said a couple of years ago "The Bad Music is Winning." It was certainly true then, but I sense maybe a shift is occurring and hopefully, this tour will help spread the fire for burning change.

It was a crappy Monday night in Boston. I had been sick all weekend and had a pounding headache. I had to get up at 5:00 in the morning on Tuesday for a business flight. I knew from reading all the reviews that I shouldn't expect them to start until at least 10:30. I really wasn't looking forward to it and was looking for a reason to put the last nail in my Guns n Roses coffin.

The last time I saw GnR, I was 17...I'm 28 now. Instead of popping fun pills, I was taking Advil before going in. The whole time before the show I was thinking "What the hell am I doing here? It's not even the same band. If I want to be nostalgic, I should just flip through a yearbook. This is going to suck. Yeah, they used to be my favorite band, but it's only Axl and a freak show now. I just want to hear a few songs, verify that they suck and go home."

When the lights finally went out, I somehow jumped onto my seat like I hit a time warp. The music was back. Axl's voice was loud, clear, and strong. The whole MTV award show was an aberration. He was strong from the kick off of Welcome to the Jungle, to the end of Paradise City. The old stuff rocked and was great to hear, and the new songs were awesome too. I was so utterly impressed with the entire show that I can't wait for them to get their asses back out here again...I just hope it doesn't take another 10 years. I stayed for the whole thing and drove home in a snow storm with a smile on my face the entire ride.

I went there hoping I could burry them and not have to wait for a new CD from some band I used to like. Now, I'm right back where I started. Loving them again and waiting for that new CD!

PS: Tuesday really sucked.

You're not alone. Last time I saw them was in 93, and  was 35 then. I'm 44 now. Advil sounds right. I was sick as a dog for Hartford myself. I also expected to be the old f&&k there, but was suprised at a good mix of older fans (thankfully lots of them looked much older than me. Ii still have my hair, it's not gray, and I don't look a day over 35). I was also suprised at how many 16-21 year olds were there. Thats fantastic to see all the Neo-Fans. Goes to show, cool is cool, it doesn't get outdated. Make note of that, Creed fans, Pop Fans etc. I was skepticla, but like you, as soon as they came out, all was forgiven. Axl was better than ever. So he put a few pounds on. So have I, no sympathy. He still looked real fit and trim for a 40 year-Old, and showed it. I loved Buckethead and Brain and Fortus etc. Jurys out on Finck. Maybe he had a bad night. Bbut he was real sloppy and off-key on some of the important solos. Maybe Buckethead should take the lead on some of those. That boy is crisp and clean, no mistakes. The Hartford Ccivic Ccenter is a crappy venue. I bet it was alot better at the Fleet Center, and will probably be awesome at MSG. God I miss NY in that respect.

First of all let me just  say,  I was definitely a skeptic-Axl proved me wrong.  I would have never have gone if Guns wasn't my girl's favorite band. She has even got 'Axl' tatooed on her thigh(which the entire Fleet Center saw, by the way) So what better present can you give an Axlholic? Front row center, of course. Complete with a limo and a blue rose. Hey, Merry Christmas. So I went  to the show for her, I was prepared to be let down, I left that night thoroughly impressed.  The three guitarists were great especially buckethead and Fortus. I liked Finck but something about the way he dry humped his guitar bowlegged... I don't know. Anyway, the drummer was stellar and the bass was solid but I don't know about the keyboards, does he need two?

Axl surrounded himself with some great musicians and before the show we had the opportunity to speak with some of the camera crew and a roadie or two. These guys all sang praise for bhead and fortus, they said that both those guys were session guitarists and it was a rarity  that they were even doing a tour of this size. Rumours...

Anyway, I got the vibe that Axl knew how appreciated he was in Boston.

So now its Thursday, I partied so much on monday that I missed  half of Tuesday and on Wednesday i was still fuzzy. Was it worth it?

Lets just say I am looking for Front row for 12/31/02 ;)

this is weird,

I was sick too..

But I dragged myself to the show.

and I was blown away by how good they sounded....

I forgot for 2 hours how sick I was.

But tuesday did suck, And Im still sick actually.

Whats going on with the New England sickness thing.

Maybe Axl caught it coming thru.

Cause the way I have felt for 10 days no way I could do a concert every other night.

• 1 month later...

Wow .....

this is VERY weird i was sick 2 :-[  :'(

i flew from where i live (Puerto Rico) to see them and stayed with my brother....

Not used to the cold (over here it is usually 80-90 degrees)  i got sick ...

We were both kinda reluctant to leave his dorm about 2 hrs before the show ( especially me , who was dying from a stupid cold) thinking that we were probably gonna face the horrible truth that Guns Sucked without the old members .

I was too young when Gn'r was at the top of the world back in the early 90's

When the lights FINALLY went out i thinx that we were both kinda stunned that these new guys and axl rocked as much ( if not more) than the old guys.

Besides for those guys  that didnt like the show atleast they got to see those girls takin their tops off in the big screen..... ;D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Think About You, You Could Be Mine, Guitar Solo [Robin], Sweet Child O' Mine, Out Ta Get Me, Madagascar, Piano Solo, November Rain, Guitar Solo [buckethead], Rocket Queen, The Blues, Chinese Democracy, Patience, My Michelle, Nightrain, Guitar Solo [Robin], Paradise City

• 5 months later...
Guest JohnUlmer

I just watched the video and at the end, it sounds like Fortus (?) slips up and says "fuckin' easy" when Axl says "damn easy." When he messes up Axl throws him a cold look before continuing singing.

I was wondering (a) if anyone had picked up on this or is it just my imagination and (B) is this actually what happened? It's kind of hard to tell because the audio on the video is bad, but it seems like Axl is pissed at something.

Guest JohnUlmer
yeah he seems to give cold mean looks to the members when they fuck up.

i heard from someone on the forum who was at a concert say how pissed off he looked at robin when he butchered a solo or something.

i wouldnt be surprised if this is true

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anyone have any videos of him doing this other times? I heard Robin has butchered some solos for November Rain and SCOM, anyone have these, too? Pretty please? :D I think Robin is a rather poor guitarist and I've heard him mess up on The Blues, Leeds '02 but I'd like to see some other mess-ups (preferably video).

yeah he seems to give cold mean looks to the members when they fuck up.

i heard from someone on the forum who was at a concert say how pissed off he looked at robin when he butchered a solo or something.

i wouldnt be surprised if this is true

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anyone have any videos of him doing this other times? I heard Robin has butchered some solos for November Rain and SCOM, anyone have these, too? Pretty please? :D I think Robin is a rather poor guitarist and I've heard him mess up on The Blues, Leeds '02 but I'd like to see some other mess-ups (preferably video).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

nah the robin thing wasnt video someone just saw him do that in 2002.

but odds are theres prolly a video of axl all pissed at robin somewhere.

keep tryin.

Guest JohnUlmer
Theres a boot of Axl yelling at BH or someone. I never heard it though. Maybe someone can help me out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We should just start a thread in the downloads requesting all screw-ups and Axl bandmember rants/"cold stares" from '02.