Robert Plant's Singing

So we all know people scream when they sing Rock N' Roll. The likes of Axl Rose does. But did Robert Plant? Or is his voice naturally rough (like Steve Tyler type)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

His voice is naturally rough i think, i mean it doesn't sound like he is screaming.

But man, i love his voice so much.

No one should try to impersonate plant. Its just not possible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

david coverdales been having a good go at it for the last 25 odd years

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your joking right? Your comparing the singer of whitesnake with Led Zeppelin?

Coverdale has an ok voice but its not the same as plant's. I dont know how to explain the difference plant just has a completely different sound.

plant...i'm told i impersonate him pretty well...maybe a bit lower in vocal range (He's a tenor I and I'm a tenor 2) but that's what my band said when we did a cover of rock n' roll :D

his voice is very clean i think...until he uses a lot of falsetto when he screams mixed with his natural voice and that's the only way he hits those C's and D's so semi-cleanly. Anyone who has a falsetto can hit the notes...but not with the ease of shift from natural voice and mix incorporated (partly done through through the energy of the scream)

as his voice aged and got fucked up around 75 (he got vocal surgery and his voice was ughhhhh on the bootlegs after houses of the holy was put out and even suffering during physical graphiti) from screaming so damn much it got raspier (listen to Knebsworth 79 and you'll know what i'm talking about from the DVD) and it even came up on his studio cuts like in the evening

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

david coverdales been having a good go at it for the last 25 odd years

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your joking right? Your comparing the singer of whitesnake with Led Zeppelin?

Coverdale has an ok voice but its not the same as plant's. I dont know how to explain the difference plant just has a completely different sound.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I mean he's trying to do it.

So we all know people scream when they sing Rock N' Roll. The likes of Axl Rose does. But did Robert Plant? Or is his voice naturally rough (like Steve Tyler type)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

buddy, nobody is a natural screamer :)

some learn it quicker than others. depending on where ur voice is.

Plant was a little higher pitched than axl I'd say to start off with.

But the scream is simple, just force enough air thru ur throat, in the end... it'll kill ur chords. it killed plant's and Axl's :)

There are ways to cheat or work around it... using a voice modulator or "scream enhancer" or even double tracking your voice in the studio.

even know how to use the mike right....

Now plant used a modified guitar pedal on his voice. giving it the higher tone and rasp. That's what I've heard.

But you can get that high using headvoice (NOT FALSETTO).

just put your hand on the chest and sing until it doesn't vibrate. if your range goes all the way up there with an amount of volume that doesn't make your throat hurt, then try adding some volume to it by forcing the air out of the top of your lungs.

it's kinda hard to describe how... but it'll give you a feel of screaming the highnotes.

the best way to get there is years of practice and to structure your voice from the low end range. the low end range will eventually give you more range and a higher pithched voice. :)

hope it helped you a little... :book:

and yeah, screaming isn't hard... just get if from ur gut! :)

It would be like someone trying to sing jungle.(they all sound like they just got kicked in the nuts.)  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

technically speaking Plant has a very easy way of singing.

combined with the limited tracks and mixing possibilities he was never the most impressive sounding. back then, yeah... and yes, his voice is GREAT.

But to learn his way of singing isn't very hard.

I'd say to find the nuances in Axl's voice is WAY harder.

Hitting the notes Layne Staley does is hard, but his style isn't hard to learn.

Chris Cornel is probably one of the hardest singers to copy, he has such a dynamic and powerful voice with a tremendous range.

Btw, I'm not taking the personality of the voice in account. meaning how they sound... just the "patterns", techniques and styles... :) don't flame me. :)

his voice is very clean i think...until he uses a lot of falsetto when he screams mixed with his natural voice and that's the only way he hits those C's and D's so semi-cleanly. Anyone who has a falsetto can hit the notes...but not with the ease of shift from natural voice and mix incorporated (partly done through through the energy of the scream)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

not trying to be a knowitall buddy, but you're wrong.... :kiss:

Plant can hit High C and D with a full clean voice. or COULD. :)

he DEFINATLY has the range to it... and he wasn't a bullshit singer.

the screams were headvoice, not falsetto. he used falsetto, yes. But he didn't need em for his screams. to achieve the scream just go to the top of your head voice and pull air from ur lungs. yeahyeah, it's not the correct way to do it... but when is what correct in singing. :) I can assure you that NONE of the best singers in the world sing "correctly" ;)

now, Axl's performance on the last chorus of Rocket Queen. THAT mix of falsetto and headvoice is impressive. he has the mix down tight as hell there..

don't shoot me, I might be wrong... but it sounds like he touches the falsetto sometimes :P

Edited by Teddy07

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

buddy, nobody is a natural screamer :)

But the scream is simple, just force enough air thru ur throat, in the end... it'll kill ur chords. it killed plant's and Axl's :)

There are ways to cheat or work around it... using a voice modulator or "scream enhancer" or even double tracking your voice in the studio.

Now plant used a modified guitar pedal on his voice. giving it the higher tone and rasp. That's what I've heard.

just put your hand on the chest and sing until it doesn't vibrate. if your range goes all the way up there with an amount of volume that doesn't make your throat hurt, then try adding some volume to it by forcing the air out of the top of your lungs.

it's kinda hard to describe how... but it'll give you a feel of screaming the highnotes.

the best way to get there is years of practice and to structure your voice from the low end range. the low end range will eventually give you more range and a higher pithched voice. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha, i know all about head n chest voice. I do all my singing in head voice because i cant sing high in chest voice. I never use falsetto either. But i can sing all the high parts in Gn'R songs (Except the high bit before the solo in I.R.S) So i've pretty muched grasped all the singing thing. I thought people had naturally rough voices...like Rod Stewart...

Btw...i've only been singing 6 months aswell ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

buddy, nobody is a natural screamer

But the scream is simple, just force enough air thru ur throat, in the end... it'll kill ur chords. it killed plant's and Axl's

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha, i know all about head n chest voice. I do all my singing in head voice because i cant sing high in chest voice. I never use falsetto either. But i can sing all the high parts in Gn'R songs (Except the high bit before the solo in I.R.S) So i've pretty muched grasped all the singing thing. I thought people had naturally rough voices...like Rod Stewart...

Btw...i've only been singing 6 months aswell ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ehm.. you CAN'T sing highnotes from your chest. it's rather impossible the higher pitched soundwaves don't vibrate. say a High D or C, they won't and don't vibrate so hence no chest voice. :)

and if you do all your singing in head voice I must think you have a pretty dull voice, and you'll wear out your chords quckly.

bla bla bla.... I hear loads of ppl brag that they can sing gnr songs.

until you post yourself singing I don't believe you. and the high bit before the solo in IRS is most likely just a falsetto. like any other new GNR song :)

BTW, I bet you do know all about chest and head voice, that's prolly why you made this thread to start off with?

Edited by Teddy07

Ok are you trying to argue with me? I can't tell

Yeah i do know about head and chest voice. Just the basics. But i started this thread about Robert Plant's singing...not my singing

I sing all my songs in Head voice because they're either in E or A and they sound better high rather than lower

Furthermore, i should have a demo made before January. I'll post it up as soon as it's done. I'm not the best singer obviously. Infact i think i pretty much suck. But i do have a good range

EDIT: Here's the link of my pics for the Gn'R tribute gig i did. You don't have to believe me of course...but i don't believe in lying. What's the point? You're just kidding yourself

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=56556&hl=

Another Edit:

thenewandimpovedpd.jpg

Gonna sound wierd...but notice my adams apple isn't visible on the picture above? Because im singing in Head Voice

chrisi.jpg

Edited by Crash Diet

Someone today told me that Axl "copies Robert Plant" and "exaggerates" too much when he sings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Axl's voice slightly resembles that of Robert Plant but still hardly...

Exaggerates too much when he sings? This guy knows nothing about singing... :rolleyes:

wow, u guys know a lot about vocals......... its interesting what you guys have posted because i want to get into singing, but im a real shit singer........... im more of a keyboard and guitar player............ but anyways, my new years resolution is to become a half decent singer by the end of '06, so ive started practicing, but i have no idea were to start................ teddy07 and Crash Diet, you guys have put out very useful information, and im sure ill be using it alot in the next couple of years................ looking forward to the rest of this topic.............

You all have a great amount of knowledge on singing..

I play guitar, and I just sing for fun randomly here and there.. not in one of my bands, but like.. just for fun at practices here and there.. and i'd like to get better and if you could post where to start and HOW i'd greatly appreciate it..

Plus, what is falsetto? I can guess what head and chest voice is.. but this confuses me.. Reminds me of vibrato haha

wow, u guys know a lot about vocals......... its interesting what you guys have posted because i want to get into singing, but im a real shit singer........... im more of a keyboard and guitar player............ but anyways, my new years resolution is to become a half decent singer by the end of '06, so ive started practicing, but i have no idea were to start................ teddy07 and Crash Diet, you guys have put out very useful information, and im sure ill be using it alot in the next couple of years................ looking forward to the rest of this topic.............

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Best thing i ever did...get lessons. Even if it's one or two. Before i had lessons, i couldn't even sing in head voice, in otherwords no higher than the low parts on mr brownstone! But i had lessons, learned how to warm up and find my head voice and that was it. But defo get lessons, learn how to warm up, breath correctly etc and you'll pick it up easliy. Good luck!

Ok are you trying to argue with me? I can't tell

Yeah i do know about head and chest voice. Just the basics. But i started this thread about Robert Plant's singing...not my singing

I sing all my songs in Head voice because they're either in E or A and they sound better high rather than lower

Furthermore, i should have a demo made before January. I'll post it up as soon as it's done. I'm not the best singer obviously. Infact i think i pretty much suck. But i do have a good range

EDIT: Here's the link of my pics for the Gn'R tribute gig i did. You don't have to believe me of course...but i don't believe in lying. What's the point? You're just kidding yourself

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=56556&hl=

Another Edit:

thenewandimpovedpd.jpg

Gonna sound wierd...but notice my adams apple isn't visible on the picture above? Because im singing in Head Voice

chrisi.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

huh?

well.. I think you're jumping on the gun...

I just said, don't be so naive and think that HeadVoice is the only way of singing that's gonna do you good.

Plant uses all four ways of singing, head, chest, falsetto and scream.

explore all four and then you have a range, a singer who just sings with chest voice clearly doesn't have a range! ;)

and for the part where u suck, well... practice makes perfect.

and never say never... you can always learn something new.

just sing along to different singers and don't get hung up on one singer.

Edited by Teddy07

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Best thing i ever did...get lessons. Even if it's one or two. Before i had lessons, i couldn't even sing in head voice, in otherwords no higher than the low parts on mr brownstone! But i had lessons, learned how to warm up and find my head voice and that was it. But defo get lessons, learn how to warm up, breath correctly etc and you'll pick it up easliy. Good luck!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, i got lessons for three months, but they werent really helping me after the three months........ they just tought me shit that i had learned in beginning and intermediate strings back in middle school.............. so i quit............

i must say, though, the greatest thing about the lessons was that they tought proper breathing and i learned a couple of elvis songs that i would've never been able to sing if it weren't for the lessons............ they also gave me warm ups and cool downs and many interesting articles about singing...........

all in all, i must say that they did teach many things, but thats all they were probably gonna teach cause after the 3 month contract, they just seemed interested for the $$$$.......... well, watevers.........