How do you do a tour without something to promote?

gunner22

All these reasons why they shouldn't tour and yet most people beleive there starting a UK one soon?

If us people can see why they shouldn't tour, I think the professionals who do this type of stuff for a living are going to realise. Maybe the euro shows are just showing the world GN'R still exist, then the album will come out :drevil:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The current CULT tour, A Return To Wild, is not being done in conjunction with any new Cult album or music.

But it's a 'reunion' tour (as Motley Crue, The Pixies, Whitesnake, etc.)... because they hadn't been playing together since the late 90's, although they played some shows in 2001/2002 because of the release of Beyond Good and Evil... Astbury is touring with The Doors and Billy Duffy has been with his band Circus Diablo... but... Is Guns N'Roses a 'reunion tour' like The Cult tour?... I don't think so.

BTW, I got my tickets for The Cult in Barcelona :-D

By the way... I'm not saying AT ALL they shouldn't tour because they don't have new record or new single or something... I just say they (shit, I did it again... I mean HE) is touring for the money... I can't see any other reason.

Edited by CarlosEC

The current CULT tour, A Return To Wild, is not being done in conjunction with any new Cult album or music.

But it's a 'reunion' tour (as Motley Crue, The Pixies, Whitesnake, etc.)... because they hadn't been playing together since the late 90's, although they played some shows in 2001/2002 because of the release of Beyond Good and Evil... Astbury is touring with The Doors and Billy Duffy has been with his band Circus Diablo... but... Is Guns N'Roses a 'reunion tour' like The Cult tour?... I don't think so.

By the way... I'm not saying AT ALL they shouldn't tour because they don't have new record or new single or something... I just say they (shit, I did it again... I mean HE) is touring for the money... I can't see any other reason.

dude, are u stupid??

offcourse they dont do it for money, its all about the music.

It's damn annoying isn't it. The band is weird. Nothing else to say about it. Every convention or logical idea is rejected, every chance for publicity is too.

Here we are in 2006 and the band:

- Still has no new singles out

- Still has no album out

- Still hasn't done anything in public since 2002

- Still hasn't got a confirmed lineup

- Still hasn't got a website. I mean can ANYONE name ANY other band, which does not have an up to date website? Even the local bands in my town has their own bloody website updated regularly.

Queue the yes man to say 'It's part of a masterplan' or 'They will when its time'. But the truth is that the band is just annoying and stupidly mis-managed by its member(s?) and Mercky-Merck.

'nuff said.

dude, are u stupid??

Sorry.... I can't hear your voice or see your face... Are you being ironic... aren't you?... because if you are thinking it truely... I will have to make a big guffaw... :-D

Edited by CarlosEC

dude, are u stupid??

and how do you know that exactly?

why do you call this man stupid?

His opinion seems to have at least some grounding in logic,

no one here knows exactly the financial situation of this band, just because Rose is rich doesn't mean he'll

invest all his money in this band either,, who knows?

Artists don't do things because of a love for the music alone, they do it because of a sense of self - gratification, if they did just create music purely for its sake, then why is there a need to play to a public audience?

We all have an ego that must be satisfied

btw "fire woman" be a classic Carlos (altough I must admit Im not a huge fan)

I do not for one minute accept the premise that this tour(assuming it happens) is entirely for the $. Granted, the" masterplan" idea may be a bit past the edge of reason, but I think genuine artistic purposes are served by the band playing shows. The most important thing is that the band must now finally feel that the music is ready. Axl has a lot to prove-he wouldn't have taken on the shows unless he was confident that the band is now capable of meeting the demands of the casual listener and the hardcore fan. 2002 was an abortion from the start and he must regain a wide cross-section of those that see the VMA's as the band's last gasp or believe the band died when the original line-up imploded. The label is already out 13 million-they cannot afford not to promote. With complete confidence I feel I can say that the album will see release this year. Axl and Merck seem too intelligent to make the same mistake twice.

Do I have any actual evidence to support this? Not really, but my gut tells me Round Two has begun.

The Cult tour is actually not being "billed" as a reuion tour, according to Ian & Billy, no matter what it may seem to be to the fans. But yes, they are on fire, and after going to Cult shows for 20 years (!), and seeing them twice on A Return to Wild, I am only hoping they pass through the states again late fall after their UK leg of the tour. Have a great time in Barcelona...I wish I was going!

It's hard to imagine Axl actually needs money. GNR still sells many albums every day.

And if it was for the money, I am sure he makes much more money releasing Chinese Democracy than doing a hand-full of shows.

It's damn annoying isn't it. The band is weird. Nothing else to say about it. Every convention or logical idea is rejected, every chance for publicity is too.

Here we are in 2006 and the band:

- Still has no new singles out

- Still has no album out

- Still hasn't done anything in public since 2002

- Still hasn't got a confirmed lineup

- Still hasn't got a website. I mean can ANYONE name ANY other band, which does not have an up to date website? Even the local bands in my town has their own bloody website updated regularly.

Queue the yes man to say 'It's part of a masterplan' or 'They will when its time'. But the truth is that the band is just annoying and stupidly mis-managed by its member(s?) and Mercky-Merck.

van halen

Axl and Merck seem too intelligent to make the same mistake twice.

It's sad... but the sad fact is that Axl and Merck ARE Guns N'Roses (not Fortus, not Fink, not Brain... just Axl and Merck)... and if they were intelligent they would have a little of communication with the fans, or something... this completely lack of communication shows us the intelligence (like we say in Spain) bright for its absence.

Surely providing presale tickets to Fans, is good enough communcation, and certainly a decent way of apologising.

Is it enough official information you need from Guns N'Roses then than 14 years for 'being' informed?... hummm you don't need much to be happy...

Surely providing presale tickets to Fans, is good enough communcation, and certainly a decent way of apologising.

Is it enough official information you need from Guns N'Roses then than 14 years for 'being' informed?... hummm you don't need much to be happy...

Yeah, it doesn't take much, except perhaps a world tour. That usually makes me happy. I'd trade that for 14 years of no information. Although it hasn't been 14 years, as we've had the OMG, and the other tour.

Yeah, it doesn't take much, except perhaps a world tour. That usually makes me happy. I'd trade that for 14 years of no information. Although it hasn't been 14 years, as we've had the OMG, and the other tour.

Well... nobody knows if IT'S BEING A WORLD TOUR... or just an European tour (there even aren't dates in the States).

About the other thing, well... OMG, cool... one song in 14 years... it's a good proportion; 0'07 official songs per year :P . And about the last tour... well... you had the tour in UK, but they cancelled the 2 shows in Spain... so that tour didn't exist for me.

Edited by CarlosEC

how do you do a tour without something to promote?

Lots of band's have been doing it since the mid-90's:

KISS, Page/Plant, Paul McCartney, The Who, The Eagles.

Used to be you had to put a new studio album out before touring but in the past decade things have changed. Since classic artists don't get their new material played on the radio/TV, they usually don't bother going to the trouble of recording a new album. They just go out on tour. And make a ton of money.

Guns N Roses toured based solely on name recognition in 2002 and amazingly they were able to sell out Madison Square Garden & Boston Fleet Center. But the lack of a new studio or live album and the mostly new lineup ended up hurting up them. Most arenas they played were half empty. And they only averaged around 7500 fans a night.

But if Slash & Duff were in the band right now I'm sure they could tour the world without a new album this summer and sell out everywhere. If Axl is thinking he can tour the world without any new album in the stores he's fooling himself. The mistakes of 2002 will repeat themselves.

He'll have to do something to promote the band if he's planning on touring the US. He could probably tour Europe and South America without a new album for the rest of his life. But in the States the market is harder to crack. Because of the shitty economy, soaring ticket prices and high competition between big name acts. Guns N Roses will have to do something to put their name out there.

If not Axl will run into the same problem here as in 2002. He'll play new songs that nobody knows (because the album isn't available to buy), have to deal with criticism of the new lineup (because no one knows who the new guys are) and play to half filled arenas. (If promoters even allow them to book arenas).

I know that in 2002 on MTV Axl announced "Round One" of his comeback. This year is round 2. Let's hope he doesn't "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory" once again...

Well... nobody knows if IT'S BEING A WORLD TOUR... or just an European tour (there even aren't dates in the States).

So what about them playing 4 Dates at the Hammerstein Ballroom in 11 days?

About the other thing, well... OMG, cool... one song in 14 years... it's a good proportion; 0'07 official songs per year :P . And about the last tour... well... you had the tour in UK, but they cancelled the 2 shows in Spain... so that tour didn't exist for me.

Don't forget Chi Dem, Silkworms, Maddy, the Blues and the recent leaks. I'm sorry you didn't get to see them, but just because you never saw them live doesn't mean that the tour never existed :rolleyes:

Lots of band's have been doing it since the mid-90's:

KISS, Page/Plant, Paul McCartney, The Who, The Eagles.

You have named some REUNION TOURS (well... maybe McCartney didn't tour because a reunion tour, but he had been touring all the time... not 14 years without touring), so there you got the reason for the tours.

So what about them playing 4 Dates at the Hammerstein Ballroom in 11 days?

Don't forget Chi Dem, Silkworms, Maddy, the Blues and the recent leaks. I'm sorry you didn't get to see them, but just because you never saw them live doesn't mean that the tour never existed :rolleyes:

Well... about the 4 shows in NYC they have called them as 'Warm up shows', not as part of the tour itself... I ment shows after the European shows.

And about new songs... don't forget there are not official releases at all.

About the last tour, well... Touchèz :rolleyes: .

Well I think there is no need for promotion really. There was a add in a norwegian newspaper and the tickets where gone before you could learn how to pronounce icecream.

The new york showes don't need promotion since the tickets are gone. Who are they going to promote for??? -Nananana you didn't get one!

:rolleyes:

Are you fuckin' crazy? Norway isn't exactly the rest of Europe. The tickets only sold well in Scandinavia, but in the rest of Europe they sold like shit....

All these reasons why they shouldn't tour and yet most people beleive there starting a UK one soon?

If us people can see why they shouldn't tour, I think the professionals who do this type of stuff for a living are going to realise. Maybe the euro shows are just showing the world GN'R still exist, then the album will come out :drevil:

Hmmm. Not even half sold-out shows, and then CD? Makes no sense...

It's hard to imagine Axl actually needs money. GNR still sells many albums every day.

And if it was for the money, I am sure he makes much more money releasing Chinese Democracy than doing a hand-full of shows.

Im actually sure you are wrong, doing shows makes the most money for an artist. Album sales don't really, except when there are big hits on them which get played a lot on radio (that also provides a lot of money), but just album sales.....definately NO! If he wants to make big bucks he should tour.

they don't need anything to promote people seem to be paying for the unknown. Or maybe we just love and miss GnR so much we wouldn't care if the were promoting a new dance in their underwear. Their GnR so we'll support them anyway. or maybe we want to see if they'll even show up.

How do you know they won't have something to promote?

Yes, I agree....right now they don't.

But that's not saying that things might not change over the next couple weeks....

By the time Rio rolls around (or maybe AT rio) they might start ramping up to promote "something".