finck n fortus's guitar tones suit gnr?

gilmour

whats up with richard fortus and robin fincks guitar tones they seriously dont suit guns n roses. Finck uses great equipment n still manages to produce that awfull sound. Richards tone is also very similar when 2 guitar players in a band should have completly different settings. buckethead a great tone, slash had great tone. Axl need to wise them up i think finck is terribly attempting to be like david gilmour at times when he aint in that league.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats up with richard fortus and robin fincks guitar tones they seriously dont suit guns n roses. Finck uses great equipment n still manages to produce that awfull sound. Richards tone is also very similar when 2 guitar players in a band should have completly different settings. buckethead a great tone, slash had great tone. Axl need to wise them up i think finck is terribly attempting to be like david gilmour at times when he aint in that league.

Finck could try to replicate slash's sound, but if he did you'd be bashing him for that. He's an exceptional guitarist, as is Richard, and IMO they are the perfect guitar duo for GNR in 2006.

we dont even know if Richard's still in the band and apparently there auditioning more ppl

alkingMetal.com has posted episode 60 of their "Talking Metal" podcast. The episode features a 15-minute interview hosts Mark Strigl and John Ostronomy conducted with ANTHRAX and DAMNOCRACY guitarist Scott Ian. Interview topics include VH1 "SuperGroup", a new ANTHRAX album, Katee Sackoff, "Battlestar Galactica", and the SciFi Channel. Additional podcast topics include VH1 "Rock Honors" and their Air to the Throne contest, Richard Fortus, Honky Toast, Sean Baker, and rumors regarding[san Francisco guitarist Brian Kehoe's apparent recent audition for GUNS N' ROSES. The 45-minute podcast can be downloaded at this location. iTunes users can also subscribe to "Talking Metal" for free at this location

He's an exceptional guitarist, as is Richard

Buckethead and Slash are exeptional guitarists. Robin and Richard are just good.

Yeah i totally agree. Robin and Richard are good but i dont think they are in the same league as slash and buckethead. I think Axl could have gotten much better than Robin and Richard, he could have got the likes of zakk wylde or nuno bettencourt

I don't care what anyone else says my opinion is that Robin and Richard are nowhere NEAR as good as Slash and Bucket. Slash was perfect for GNR, Richard and Robin aren't. I will agree Buckethead wasn't suited for GNR but his guitar playing is soo far ahead of Richard and Robin's it would make more sense to have him than them.

Kehoe wears a cowboy hat most of the time which makes him follow the trend of Slash and Buckethead as far as headwear goes. I don't know that he's a good fit for the band though and it sounds like his own career is going pretty well as it is.

Guest RonMexico82

Fortus and Finck will always have to fight the powerful image that their predecessors created namely Slash. They are different and in a way you have to admire their balls for attempting to fill Slash's shoes. However lets look at it this way - 30 years from now people will be talking about Slash the same way as people talk about Hendrix today. He is a 100% certified Guitar God for his work with Guns N' Roses. Finck and Fortus will have to pull off something spectacular with Chinese Democracy in order to reach the same level of admiration and respect. Based in the demos I would say this is not going to happen. I wish them the best though cos they are gonna need it - poor bastards.

Edited by RonMexico82

He's an exceptional guitarist, as is Richard

Buckethead and Slash are exeptional guitarists. Robin and Richard are just good.

Yeah i totally agree. Robin and Richard are good but i dont think they are in the same league as slash and buckethead. I think Axl could have gotten much better than Robin and Richard, he could have got the likes of zakk wylde or nuno bettencourt

Nuno helped to write "More than Words", which, on guitar and vocals, sounds like it took 5 minutes. I don't think he'd be much help on the writing front, though he's a skilled player. Besides, he's famous from the exact type of band that Gnr shouldn't be pigeonholed with.

Well I guess it's all a matter of opinion. I like Finck's tone. I think the solos themselves (specifically the ones on Better and TWAT), are great. The solo in The Blues is pretty good too. I am partial to Slash and I'd take him back in a second because I know he's at least a step above and he is a big chunk of what makes GN'R GN'R, however I am satisfied with what I hear on the demos. It's melodic and it rocks and when it comes down to it that's really all I care about.

I want Slash back...people on this forum should know that by how much I defend the guy...but if it ain't happening I will simply enjoy a great album. I'm not gonna let anything prevent me from doing that.

fortus looks solid, he gives a nice amount energy on rhythm.

now finck, who i wasn't impressed with live, im not sure on yet.

Somethings telling me though, that one of those fast solos in the leaks are his. IRS has got that funny note at the end of the solo which sounds like the guitar is straining to push the note through, and that sounds like finck when he does the sweet child o'mine solo.

bucket is the solo on better though.

i dunno, what do you guys reckon?

i initially thought buckethead cos he can shread like hell, but after watching the blues solo live, finck can sure as hell play fast, which made me think hang on, perhaps he's in IRS.

Edited by slashplay

Fortus is a friend of mine, and he will kick MAJOR ASS, trust me on this. Remember the MTV show and "Madagascar"? Fortus did amazing shit on that tune, and I'm the guy who hooked him up with that guitar. (The Fernandes with the Sustainer pickup....whcih Axl fell in love with, btw...)

wait for CD youll find out whos solo is whos. And finck kicks fucking ass. him and richard togther are amazing. slash is dull plays one style you can always pick him out of a song but finck plays many different ways you something different every time.