The Last 4 Years

milkboy

Anyone ever wonder what really happened over the past 3 to 4 years? The tour ended abruptly in Philly in Dec 2002. No one really knows for sure what happened there. Axl wouldn't address it on Eddie Trunk's show and the band can't comment on anything it seems. The scapegoat seems to be Clear Channel but who knows?

Then, Axl goes into hiding until this past January. Rumor after rumor surfaces during this time but nothing really happened. Buckethead quit and we all thought they were re-recording his parts, finding a new guitarist, etc. Come to find out in NYC this past May that no new guitarist was even sought out until 1 week before the NYC shows. So what in the hell was Axl doing from Dec. 2002 until May 2006?

I remember hearing those rumors that he kind of freaked out and checked into a mental hospital. At the time I thought it was ludicrous but now I have to wonder if he did lose his mind during that last tour? We all thought they were just putting the finishing touches on the album but in reality I think the record just sat idle and gathered dust for a few years while Axl got his head straight. I think we are very lucky he came around and the rest of the band stayed loyal during this time. It would make sense considering how tight the band seems now. A huge difference compared to the last tour.

Anyone ever wonder what really happened over the past 3 to 4 years? The tour ended abruptly in Philly in Dec 2002. No one really knows for sure what happened there. Axl wouldn't address it on Eddie Trunk's show and the band can't comment on anything it seems. The scapegoat seems to be Clear Channel but who knows?

Then, Axl goes into hiding until this past January. Rumor after rumor surfaces during this time but nothing really happened. Buckethead quit and we all thought they were re-recording his parts, finding a new guitarist, etc. Come to find out in NYC this past May that no new guitarist was even sought out until 1 week before the NYC shows. So what in the hell was Axl doing from Dec. 2002 until May 2006?

I remember hearing those rumors that he kind of freaked out and checked into a mental hospital. At the time I thought it was ludicrous but now I have to wonder if he did lose his mind during that last tour? We all thought they were just putting the finishing touches on the album but in reality I think the record just sat idle and gathered dust for a few years while Axl got his head straight. I think we are very lucky he came around and the rest of the band stayed loyal during this time. It would make sense considering how tight the band seems now. A huge difference compared to the last tour.

Are you fucking seriouse??

Offcourse he dident go to a damn mental hospital and lost his mind!

I think he/they did som recording and chilled out :)

well he didnt go into a mental home cause we found several pcitures taken of of during the 2002 -4 period. he also worked on gta san andreas. so im guessing he was pl;aying video games and taking it easy. maybe working on the album for a couple of months as there were also messages bout richard and robin being called back into the studio during this time.

Are you fucking seriouse??

Offcourse he dident go to a damn mental hospital and lost his mind!

I think he/they did som recording and chilled out :)

So, that grueling 1 month North American tour just got to him and he needed to chill out, huh? Are you fucking serious? Obviously something happened during the tour that caused it to end and something caused him to go into hiding for more than 3 years. I find it hard to believe that he took 3 years to simply tinker with a still unfinished album.

I think the "project" sat idle for quite some time while Axl went through some kind of rehabilitation. He gave the band the go-ahead to do their own solo stuff while he got his shit together and it is only now that things are moving forward. My point of this whole thread is that during this past hiatus, nothing was really going on inside GNR camp. We paid attention to every rumor thinking that this was all part of a master plan, but in reality things were in limbo.

I think that whatever reason ended the US tour was serious enough to cause the band to cease working for a good while. I then think that once that issue was resolved, the band tried to regroup and get things together for Rock in Rio 2004. That was when the Buckethead fiasco began and that just succeded in forcing Axl into a state of despair. Once BH left i think there would have been a period of uncertainty as to whether or not he might return. After this, Axl may have decided that he wanted Bucket's work on the album redone and may have searched for a new guitarist but only half heartedly because the loss of a alented individualist like bucket would have been a severe blow. Then I think they would have lain low, unsure of what to do for most of 2005. before the gears got working in late 05 for the triumphant return to the stage in 2006.

This is just a theory, see what you think.

G

singing lessons :rolleyes:

After his "comeback" he looked(and still look) much more healthy and sing 10 times as god as he sang back in 2002. Didn´t he hang out with that big opera guy(can´t remember his name) who gave him singing lessons?

Maby he did an "Aviator" :D

he probably just took it easy lol. chilled out abit, did a bit of tinkering on the album, some filming, a couple of new songs, new greatest hits album, probably a few shows here or there etc etc and just enjoyed himselff being out of the spotlight