a hypothetical question

3rd Wheel

I don't post and start topics much(and maybe it should stay that way), but I was pondering something. If Axl left the band because of sickness, death, classic GNR reunion, w/e...would the members in the band right now find a replacement and go under a name not called Guns &(N) Roses. Are the OTHER members close enough to find a replacement and continue trying to be a band except under a different name? Sure it would be hard because Axl would control the rights to the new songs, old songs and all the other stuff; BUT if the rest of this band is close, then I wouldn't be suprised if they tried. But FOrtus and ROn Thal have to be close, Robin and Tommy have to feel like friends, and not just members of G&R.

This question actually raises the topic of: Is the rest of the band close to eachother, and not just Axl? Because in my opinion, the band isn't truly a great band until everyone becomes close with everyone else. The old Guns was that way because they came up from nothing to be something. The new band could be close because of trying to be accepted by rock fans as the current GNR.

I don't know, from what we have seen so far I would say that they might actually try if Axl left and find a replacement to be lead singer....but many have asked about the closeness of this band and whether or not they are "hired".

I don't know.....what yall think?

Edited by 3rd Wheel

If Axl left Guns N' Roses there would be no Guns N' Roses. This is a rather strong argument point for people who claim the new bandmembers aren't really "members" in the same way as Slash, Duff etc. were - maybe once the album drops that would be different, but even then I don't think GN'R would ever survive if Axl left.

I mean just imagine how much outrage there would be if he left and it's Robin Finck, Thomas Stinson and, say, Kid Rock taking over on vocals. :rolleyes:

They'd call up their old friend Buckethead who would use his powers of breakdancing cyborg chicken ninja shred to play so many notes per second that he'd open an inter-dimensional vortex that caused him to shift backwards through time. Bucket would arrive in the late 1980s where he would capture vintage Axl and bring him forward through time to replace older Axl in Guns. Bucket would then turn down an invitation to rejoin Guns and live out the rest of his days eating KFC and playing a banjo on a rocking chair in an igloo in Siberia while the rest of the band became the biggest musical phenomena of all time.

Old Axl would then meet up with Slash following VRs break up. They would put aside their differences and after a steamy night in Axl's Malibu mansion become the highest profile gay marriage couple in the world. Slash would also dye his hair pink... because, y'know... he's gay now.

I don't post and start topics much(and maybe it should stay that way), but I was pondering something. If Axl left the band because of sickness, death, classic GNR reunion, w/e...would the members in the band right now find a replacement and go under a name not called Guns &(N) Roses. Are the OTHER members close enough to find a replacement and continue trying to be a band except under a different name? Sure it would be hard because Axl would control the rights to the new songs, old songs and all the other stuff; BUT if the rest of this band is close, then I wouldn't be suprised if they tried. But FOrtus and ROn Thal have to be close, Robin and Tommy have to feel like friends, and not just members of G&R.

This question actually raises the topic of: Is the rest of the band close to eachother, and not just Axl? Because in my opinion, the band isn't truly a great band until everyone becomes close with everyone else. The old Guns was that way because they came up from nothing to be something. The new band could be close because of trying to be accepted by rock fans as the current GNR.

I don't know, from what we have seen so far I would say that they might actually try if Axl left and find a replacement to be lead singer....but many have asked about the closeness of this band and whether or not they are "hired".

Leave to do what?

They'd call up their old friend Buckethead who would use his powers of breakdancing cyborg chicken ninja shred to play so many notes per second that he'd open an inter-dimensional vortex that caused him to shift backwards through time. Bucket would arrive in the late 1980s where he would capture vintage Axl and bring him forward through time to replace older Axl in Guns. Bucket would then turn down an invitation to rejoin Guns and live out the rest of his days eating KFC and playing a banjo on a rocking chair in an igloo in Siberia while the rest of the band became the biggest musical phenomena of all time.

Old Axl would then meet up with Slash following VRs break up. They would put aside their differences and after a steamy night in Axl's Malibu mansion become the highest profile gay marriage couple in the world. Slash would also dye his hair pink... because, y'know... he's gay now.

Of course. Or Chirs Pit(t)man and the dancing midgets could carry on the GN'R legacy

I don't think that's what he's asking...he's asking about the possibility of Fortus/Finck/Stinson/Thal/Brain/Pittman finding a new frontman and starting over as a new band if Axl were to disappear.

I think there would be a good possibility of that...most of those guys have been together for, what, 6-7 years now?

and what if he's fired? :rolleyes:

i don't think they would form a new band together, i can't see them doing that

He can't be fired. He owns the "band."

Whether or not die-hards care to admit it, it's not really a band in the typical sense. It's Axl owning all their asses. He has control over them all. He has all rights to the band name and so on.

Axl has the legal ownership right to the GNR name. Other band members - new or old - do not.

So, the answer is pretty simple.

That's not what I was asking Madison...read more closely next time.

He does have ownership over the GNR name...but the other guys could form a new band with a new name...and Axl wouldn't be abble to stop them.

I don't think that's what he's asking...he's asking about the possibility of Fortus/Finck/Stinson/Thal/Brain/Pittman finding a new frontman and starting over as a new band if Axl were to disappear.

I think there would be a good possibility of that...most of those guys have been together for, what, 6-7 years now?

Finally someone understood.

Edited by 3rd Wheel

Hey man,

I get the question. Sure I think it's possible that they'd continue. What I think is more likely is that some of them would leave and others would continue to play together. For instance, is there any doubt Dizzy would follow his master to wherever it is he went? :lol:

Honestly though, it's really hard to say. Like I said, I'm sure some of them would continue together in a new band. What makes this tricky is that Axl makes the current GN'R much of what they are. His vision is what they are executing. The lyrics, vocal melodies, and much of the music is probably all him. Even if the new band continued without him I very much doubt the music would be even remotely similar. It would be a tough decision for them, because what they have been doing the past seven years or so is not something they could replicate without Axl. Axl is the identity for this band. No Axl equals an indentity crisis. Therefore, when it came time for them to start a new band, they'd also have to define a new vision for the band. There would be disagreements I'm sure, and various members would inevitably leave. The closest of friends would probably continue working together though. Anyways, that's what I think would happen.

I think if Axl left, they wood go there seperate ways, they all have their own lives and solo projects. The contracts are so tight that there are no questions who's in control. Axl may have been in control of AFD era really but the rest of the band sort of lost it when they got big. Like if Ron suddenly develops huge heroin habit and everyone in the band starts criticising Axl for being late etc - then the new guys will be history too. But this time it won't destroy the band, Axl will just find some more even keeled dudes to help him with his vision.

Hey man,

I get the question. Sure I think it's possible that they'd continue. What I think is more likely is that some of them would leave and others would continue to play together. For instance, is there any doubt Dizzy would follow his master to wherever it is he went? :lol:

Honestly though, it's really hard to say. Like I said, I'm sure some of them would continue together in a new band. What makes this tricky is that Axl makes the current GN'R much of what they are. His vision is what they are executing. The lyrics, vocal melodies, and much of the music is probably all him. Even if the new band continued without him I very much doubt the music would be even remotely similar. It would be a tough decision for them, because what they have been doing the past seven years or so is not something they could replicate without Axl. Axl is the identity for this band. No Axl equals an indentity crisis. Therefore, when it came time for them to start a new band, they'd also have to define a new vision for the band. There would be disagreements I'm sure, and various members would inevitably leave. The closest of friends would probably continue working together though. Anyways, that's what I think would happen.

I agree with everything you said. Axl does give the band an identity, and w/o Axl in a new band there wouldn't be much of an "it".

You also have a point with the type of music they would play. This band is made up of members coming from completely different styles of music playing a completely different style of music in GNR right now.

But it would most certainly be interesting if it happened.

Anyways, thanks for your great post, Kbear. rock1

You mean if Axl would leave and join Velevet Revolver?

R U thinking if Scott would fit the new guns in that case???

:rofl-lol:

I dont think it would be possible. I dont even think they would even consider it. The only way it could happen, if in the middle of a tour something happens to Axl. Then the band would have to consider to go on or not. They might finish the tour with special lead singers, but after the tour ends, the band will probaly do their own thing.