Interview with Colin 'Lizzard' McGuinness

jack99

Anyone know at what times he played with Gnr?

GUITAR STAR IMPRESSED WITH LOCAL SCENE

19 August 2006

WHEN it comes to rock and roll, top session guitarist and songwriter Colin 'Lizzard' McGuinness has a story

or two to tell.

From working with Lisa Marie Presley and Axl Rose – to playing live with the Red Hot Chili Peppers and

Keanu Reeves – the Manx-born musician has certainly made a name for himself in the industry.

Colin, 44, originally from Douglas, began playing the guitar at the age of 10, and The Beatles, The Rolling

Stones and Elvis were early influences.

Many years later a dream came true when he met legendary guitarist James Burton – who played with

Elvis – and the connection continued when he worked on a demo with Elvis' daughter, Lisa Marie Presley.

Colin is back in the Island to visit close family and friends for a few months and has even been checking out

local bands.

He said: 'Since I have been back I have seen some really good bands over here. On A Friday have got

something going and I have been checking them out. I've sat in on a few of their rehearsals.'

Colin has played with numerous acts over the years, having left the Isle of Man in 1981. He eventually

ended up in London, performing on Top of the Pops and making his mark as a musician, before finally

heading for Los Angeles, where he played at legendary venues such as the Whiskey A Go Go and The Viper

Room.

In the late 1990s he moved to Los Angeles with the band Bottlefly. He explained: 'We got a deal with

Universal records in 1996, and in 1997 we ended up being based in LA doing tours round America. We put

an album out and it went really well over there.'

The group had a lot of songs placed in films such as One Night at McCools and The Animal staring Rob

Schneider.

However, band members went their separate ways and Colin did a tour playing for Keanu Reeves's band

Dogstar.

When his friend Dave Navarro left the Red Hot Chili Peppers Colin played a few gigs with them before John

Frusciante stepped back into the fold. He also played Jones Beach in New York with Duran Duran.

A veteran of many sessions, one sticks out in his mind – working for Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose.

Colin said: 'He had everyone in the studio for 2pm and he turned up at 3am a bit worse for wear. We had

been waiting 13 hours.'

Source: http://www.iomonline.co.im/ViewArticle2.as...ticleID=1705406

It is funny.

But it flies in the face of all the "perfectionist" crap that people go on with.

What does being late has to do with being a perfectionist? You can't be both, is that what you're trying to say?

• 3 weeks later...

It is funny.

But it flies in the face of all the "perfectionist" crap that people go on with.

What does being late has to do with being a perfectionist? You can't be both, is that what you're trying to say?

Besides at least during the UYI era Axl liked to record during night :tongue2:

My other half has terrible time keeping (he doesn't run 13 hours late but he's pretty bad!) but he's still known to be a perfectionist as far as his job is concerned! Being tardy doesn't mean he doesn't produce the stuff once he shows, anyone whose waited for him to come on stage knows that once he does it's awsome.

rock3

Jo