Do people think Axl making an appearance on the VMAs will be enough promotion?

Kaneda

I agree that if the CD is going to come out this fall, they definately need to step up promotion of the band. I am sure all those news stories about Uncle Bill Bailey's overseas behavior brought him back into the public at least a little bit, but I don't think the average person, or the average music fan has GNR on their mind right now. That's why tickets are not selling very fast... People don't know that something is going on. Even us forumgoers dont know for sure if anything is happening, outside the announced dates...

GN'R need to get out in the media and make some headlines, some suprise performances, and get back in the public eye. Once Axl reminds people who he is, and was, i am sure they will have no problem selling tickets or CDs, even without people knowing the new band. I have faith in the new CD's material, but right now GNR are missing the publicity bandwagon.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really care about promotion or ticket sales, but I'm forced to cuz I think Axl cares a great deal about this shit and if it all goes tits up I'm afraid he'll freak out and rip up the masters, get in a fight with Brain, lose the fight and then we'll never hear from him again.

I just want the new album.

:D

Do any of you have real jobs? Seriously, I fucking WORK in promotions and all of you have your head up your asses if you think AXL is good a promotion. What I am saying is that promotions start about 6 months out, and the fact that AXL isn't even mentioning Chinese D shows this thing hasn't begun.

This board is a bunch of brainless twats.

you want us to dicuss your topic, but then you post this. you dont deserve the time of day. seriously bro, why in the hell would you make yourself look so damn stupid. you certaintly arent marketing yourselff in an intelligent light for us to take your posts seriously now are you?

What I am saying is that anything other than releasing Chinese D is irrelevant at this point. Axl performing/presenting at the VMAs is pointless, the release date is even pointless (as it can easily be delayed)...the only thing that will excite people is the album.

Remember the VMA's in 1991? The release date for the UYI albums where delayed many times in 1991. But than came the VMA's. There was a live performance of G N' R at the Wembley Arena in London(Live and let die) on that show and suddenly 2-3 weeks after the VMA's (sept.17 1991) both albums where released without a big promotion carousel. All they did was doing a tour in the U.S.A and Europe. Does this sound familiar to you??

What I am saying is that anything other than releasing Chinese D is irrelevant at this point. Axl performing/presenting at the VMAs is pointless, the release date is even pointless (as it can easily be delayed)...the only thing that will excite people is the album.

Remember the VMA's in 1991? The release date for the UYI albums where delayed many times in 1991. But than came the VMA's. There was a live performance of G N' R at the Wembley Arena in London(Live and let die) on that show and suddenly 2-3 weeks after the VMA's (sept.17 1991) both albums where released without a big promotion carousel. All they did was doing a tour in the U.S.A and Europe. Does this sound familiar to you??

great point.

I don't think Axl's apperance will be a promotion for cd or concerts. I wouldn't buy Chinese Democracy just because Axl presented VMAs. The best promotion it's Axl Rose his talent and his music. I'd love to see him no matter what he gonna do.

Why can't people discuss my points without crying so much? I think I make some valid points that deserve discussion.

because your points have already been discussed countless times in countless replies to countless other threads. You start a new thread everytime you think you have somthing new when it's the same bloody point applied to a different situation? Why not reply to the thread where the vma appearance was posted, instead of spamming up the board.

Do any of you have real jobs? Seriously, I fucking WORK in promotions and all of you have your head up your asses if you think AXL is good a promotion. What I am saying is that promotions start about 6 months out, and the fact that AXL isn't even mentioning Chinese D shows this thing hasn't begun.

Very true these guys cant come to grips that it's september and axl is still in hiding with no promotion or intent to give info, AXL GIVE -110% ABOUT CD SO PLEASE STOP LIVING THROUGH HIM.

you want us to dicuss your topic, but then you post this. you dont deserve the time of day. seriously bro, why in the hell would you make yourself look so damn stupid. you certaintly arent marketing yourselff in an intelligent light for us to take your posts seriously now are you?

You have to admit, this board can be frustrating at times.

A lot of delusion going on here a lot of the time. I realize that's part of being a fan I guess. But those who dare to point out what is pretty much the reality of the situation do get pretty shit on.

The Illusions may have been released kind of wacky and it didn't hurt, but I don't think anybody thought Guns dropped off the face of the planet at that time either. That was, what, a three or four year wait? Appetite wasn't really that big until 1988 was it? So, three years plus Lies came out between. Oh, and some tours mixed in there and being all over MTV. And, it was actually Guns N Roses.

Being in the news in Europe for biting cops and "assaulting" women doesn't really seem to be publicity. That one about getting bottles of piss thrown at you on stage doesn't help your image much either. Everytime I hear any news about Axl on the radio he is being made fun of. Who cares about news? If Axl was all over the tabloids in the 80's with no Sweet Child O' Mine I don't think it would have gotten as big as it did.

Yeah, Axl needs to put out the record. Not many people get excited about a handfull of live performance bootlegs. How will anybody really know anything about the new Guns N Roses if there isn't anything to listen to? There is no record, therefore there are no songs on the radio.

Seems to me the new Guns N Roses needs to be on the radio. There is no more MTV (30 second clip of Pink on TRL) or VH1 (shows about music, but no actual music). Radio's really the best exposure. Oh, it needs to be Chinese Democracy on the radio.

I think GnR fans will buy Chinese Democracy with or without promotion or even download because they like the music. They expecting for it and always looking for news about. They will know when comes out. I don't buy a thing just because it was promotioned but only if I have interest on it. Who cares about promotion? Maybe Axl knows what he's doing or Chinese don't come out this year again.

great point.

The fucking hell it is.

They were arguably the biggest band on the planet in 1991 and everything they did was news.

Are you SERIOUSLY arguing its the same thing in 2006? If you asked most people off the street who Richard Fortus, Ron Thal, or Brain Mantia were, they'd have no clue.

Edited by D-GenerationX

Oh, that is familiar...Good point Droezle! ;)

I think a kick ass single being released sometime in september would be great for both the tour and the album, assuming it is finally released in November the latest. That would get alot of people into the band again and buying tickets for the live shows, as long as the single is a hit. I really can't imagine GNR going on a North American Tour again without any new single or album. It just does not make sense. Therefore, perhaps Axl's appearance at this years VMA's may actually hold some enticing news for us all. If not, I'd be damned if there is not atleast a new single out within the next month or two.

great point.

The fucking hell it is.

They were arguably the biggest band on the planet in 1991 and everything they did was news.

Are you SERIOUSLY arguing its the same thing in 2006? If you asked most people off the street who Richard Fortus, Ron Thal, or Brain Mantia were, they'd have no clue.

im sorry, but the names axl rose, and gnr still hold a prominent place in peoples mind.

so since they already hold that position in music culture, (whether it be good or bad) they are at a huge advantage because they dont need the advertisement to convince people to but it, they just need the advertisement to remind people that "hey were back." thus heavy advertisement for about a month or two is beyond sufficient.

say for example a rollingstone cover by axl, nobody is gonna be like who is this guy? it'll be along the lines of o shit it's axl, are they back, lets read and find out! or a single on the radio, all dj's would want to play the single instantly (dont believe me, look how well the leaks did on the radio), your comparison to 91 would hold true for a band like poison or some crap like that.

so sorry, but i feel that this is the reality of the matter.

I see veues in the US sold out already, the European tour was one of the best selling all summer.

So the way I see it, you(kaneda) are saying that GNR should have spent alot of promo money to what? sell out a little faster? Untill they embark on a tour with no promotion across the US that doesn't come close to selling out anywhere. I may say you have a point.

But... I would hope before a company dumps their money into any promotion, or any other venture, that they do an ROI, maybe the numbers don't add up.... and so far, I it seems they are doing just fine without spending a fortune, or much at all on promotion. could be they are smarter after all...

I would also hope that you are honest with clients that do not need extra promotion or marketing... or is it just sell sell sell with you?

Don't forget there is always a bigger picture....

ha makes some good points

and if you don't agree just argue your points instead of calling him gay ;)

he is right though, more needs to be done, i won't believe another release date until i see posters(which probably will never be made because someone in the gnr camp seems to think they need no promotion)

he needs to release CD then tour

i have a strong feeling that if he has an unsuccesful US tour he will dissapear for another year or so

and now allow me to quote, well, myself :krider:

Promotion for CD? :rofl-lol: are you kidding me? It's fucking Chinese Democracy! the most anticipated cd in the history of Rock n' Roll, all Axl needs to do is say "The cd will come out ________(<--date)", anywhere, anyhow, and the thing will blow up like those bombs at Hiroshima :krider: every person with a TV, Computer or Radio will know within 48hrs. Now that's a fact. B)

Kannon.

Kannon.