The Blues

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

This song means alot to me, single-handedly, it got me interested in the new lineup. I liked "Chinese Democracy" also, but I've always thought that "The Blues" was an instant classic. It's one of my favorite Guns N' Roses songs.

Now I know it's been a long time since I started a topic in here or said anything too positive about the band, but I've just gone on a little excursion and I feel like some might like to read my opinion on it. This song is very important to me, and in a way it represents everything about the new band for me.

As you might have predicted, I've listened to a version from 2002 and a version from 2006. I'm not too fussed about the difference in the arrangements, in fact I think the new introduction would sound better in a studio version. I'd like to note, that on either version, the value of Pit(t)man becomes clear, his parts are essential to the song. The solo is about the same, a few more subtle technical flashes were added in the 2006 version. Now, on to the meat of it. Call me crazy, but I like Axl's voice better in the 2002 version, yes, the rasp is less apparent, but he seems like he has better control over his pitch and tone. Another big difference to me is in the general groove of the band, there was a real nice bounce to the 2002 version that just isn't there anymore. I prefer the 2002 version.

I will say that if they ever release a good studio version of "The Blues", this band will really be worth something.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This song means alot to me, single-handedly, it got me interested in the new lineup. I liked "Chinese Democracy" also, but I've always thought that "The Blues" was an instant classic. It's one of my favorite Guns N' Roses songs.

Now I know it's been a long time since I started a topic in here or said anything too positive about the band, but I've just gone on a little excursion and I feel like some might like to read my opinion on it. This song is very important to me, and in a way it represents everything about the new band for me.

As you might have predicted, I've listened to a version from 2002 and a version from 2006. I'm not too fussed about the difference in the arrangements, in fact I think the new introduction would sound better in a studio version. I'd like to note, that on either version, the value of Pit(t)man becomes clear, his parts are essential to the song. The solo is about the same, a few more subtle technical flashes were added in the 2006 version. Now, on to the meat of it. Call me crazy, but I like Axl's voice better in the 2002 version, yes, the rasp is less apparent, but he seems like he has better control over his pitch and tone. Another big difference to me is in the general groove of the band, there was a real nice bounce to the 2002 version that just isn't there anymore. I prefer the 2002 version.

I will say that if they ever release a good studio version of "The Blues", this band will really be worth something.

You arent alone man, this is my pole from earlyer today

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=78832

Nice post!

"The Blues" has become one of my favorite GN'R songs too. I'm kinda addicted to it now. I can't wait to hear how it'll be on the album. And yes, it is a classic.

I have to say that I perfer everything about the 2002 version to now. The intro where Fortus lets it rips is missed, by me anyhow. Axl's softer sounding vocals were better, than all the raspy stuff. It did sound much better than now. But I still think the song kicks major fucking ass.

Overrated song by some fans on this board. It is a good song, but not a "great" song. Not a song that will top the charts. Everything that is topping the charts right now, or everything that is running MTV is all a different dynamic, "verse-chorus, verse-chorus, bridge/solo, verse-chorus"

The Blues kinda bounces around a bit and is a long song, almost too long of a song for a huge mainstream audience to pay attention to. It is a good song, but not a song that grabs people.

No, it's not the new November Rain

Is anyone else worried that when someone, who reads the message boards for GNR tells Axl that many fans prefer the 2002 version of the Blues, Axl will stop the release of CD and reenter the studio to rerecord that song? :P

:scared:

No.. Axl does what he wants when he wants and our oppinions wont mean anything to him if he thinks it's perfect. ;)

Overrated song by some fans on this board. It is a good song, but not a "great" song. Not a song that will top the charts. Everything that is topping the charts right now, or everything that is running MTV is all a different dynamic, "verse-chorus, verse-chorus, bridge/solo, verse-chorus"

The Blues kinda bounces around a bit and is a long song, almost too long of a song for a huge mainstream audience to pay attention to. It is a good song, but not a song that grabs people.

I don't think it can be considered overrated. Don't forget that many of us are nostalgic of a certain kind of music and as it seems, THE BLUES tends to fit this lack of good music. (for me, same for Madagascar)

I do not consider it a new NovemberRain at all for example but I think it can have a good impact.

You're rigtht that it can be seen as a long song but hell, there's a place for all in this world and I wouldn't want it to be shorter, to be honest I sometimes would like it to be longer.

I guess the band has chosen another kind of song for the new single so I won't try to make bets here.

I don't think it can be considered overrated. Don't forget that many of us are nostalgic of a certain kind of music and as it seems, THE BLUES tends to fit this lack of good music. (for me, same for Madagascar)

I do not consider it a new NovemberRain at all for example but I think it can have a good impact.

You're rigtht that it can be seen as a long song but hell, there's a place for all in this world and I wouldn't want it to be shorter, to be honest I sometimes would like it to be longer.

I guess the band has chosen another kind of song for the new single so I won't try to make bets here.

When I say it is has been overrated, I am refering to the way that people think if it comes on the radio, GNR will be back at it's '91 strength; that everyone, everywhere will love it. That's the way some fans hype it. Chinese Democracy the song too. There is hype on these boards that CD will change the world. That is what I am refering to as overrated. Unrealistic expectations.

It can have an impact but it is a depressive song and to release a single like that too soon when you are a band again trying to rise again can be a huge mistake. Guns N Roses was a rock band and they rocked, thats what people remember. To remind em you are back is to rock your way back. Madagascar and The Blues arent the way to go IMO.