The Official MMA (Mixed martial arts) Thread

vulgar

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Video-UFC-111-Weigh-ins-23496

Video of the weigh-ins ^^

Fresh of my success of only being able to predict prelims... Time to fail again! :lol:

UFC Welterweight Championship

Georges St. Pierre (170) vs. Dan Hardy (170) - not a massive fan of Hardy, but I would quite like to see him win.

Interim UFC Heavyweight Championship

Frank Mir (265) vs. Shane Carwin (265) - Could go either way, this is what I hope though

Kurt Pellegrino (155) vs. Fabricio Camoes (155) - TKO

Jon Fitch (171) vs. Ben Saunders (169) - all credit to Saunders for stepping up, and I think Saunders wins a Clinch game, but Fitch to have a decision or 2nd KO

Jim Miller (155) vs. Mark Bocek (154) - Hard to call, I do like MIller, but I think Bocek will steal a decision

Nate Diaz (171) vs. Rory Markham (177) - Again, tough fight. Catchweight which really favours Markham, but i think Diaz is probably the better fighter

Ricardo Almeida (170) vs. Matt Brown (170) - Decision for the big dog

Rousimar Palhares (186) vs. Tomasz Drwal (185) - TKO, 2nd

Rodney Wallace (206) vs. Jared Hamman (205) - Don't really know either of them, KO first.

Matt Riddle (170) vs. Greg Soto (170) - Riddle, by ko/sub 2nd.

Prepare for these to be wrong B)

Edited by The Sandman

The heavyweight fight was basically Lesnar vs. Mir II, only shorter and standing. Just goes to show that putting on all that muscle was a pretty fruitless endeavour for Frank. The guy looked pathetic out there tonight; no explosiveness, all hesitation, no improvements in his wrestling AT ALL. Hell, I'd even put Gabe Gonzaga over him, at this point. I'm genuinely concerned about his mental health now. Dana better put him on death watch, pronto. And what a fucking tool that Dan Miragliotta is; taking them off the cage early on, and almost getting Frank killed at the end, there. They need Herb Dean to ref every major fight from here on out. Other than that, it's nice to see Brock back to his heelish ways. That's gonna be one monumental battle of the beasts.

Also, cheers to Dan Hardy for being a fucking stud. Human beings aren't supposed to take armbars and kimuras of that magnitude. In my book, he has the moral victory. Damn that GSP.

i have new found respect for dan hardy. i watched a bit of pre fight hype and liked him from that even tho i stand by the canadian, great performance by georges, who technically won the fight 3 times, but you gotta give hardy an E for effort. and a H for heart i guess.

The heavyweight fight was basically Lesnar vs. Mir II, only shorter and standing. Just goes to show that putting on all that muscle was a pretty fruitless endeavour for Frank. The guy looked pathetic out there tonight; no explosiveness, all hesitation, no improvements in his wrestling AT ALL. Hell, I'd even put Gabe Gonzaga over him, at this point. I'm genuinely concerned about his mental health now. Dana better put him on death watch, pronto. And what a fucking tool that Dan Miragliotta is; taking them off the cage early on, and almost getting Frank killed at the end, there. They need Herb Dean to ref every major fight from here on out. Other than that, it's nice to see Brock back to his heelish ways. That's gonna be one monumental battle of the beasts.

Also, cheers to Dan Hardy for being a fucking stud. Human beings aren't supposed to take armbars and kimuras of that magnitude. In my book, he has the moral victory. Damn that GSP.

Completely agree - I was gutted Mir didn't offer more. I legitimately thought he would. I hope Mir doesn't go all Heath Herring and start gatekeeping on us now. Mir needs to go to ATT, get Monson and Bocek - hell, anyone who can wrestle - and teach him. Then he'll be something to be recon'd with again. Gutted.

Completely agree about Miragliotta also - I was so surprised Dean/Rozenthal weren't reffing. If I'm honest, I thought at first it was good Dan let Carwin continue until Mir completely stopped - but it's as soon as you stop intelligently defending yourself... should've been earlier.

Furthermore, Hardy makes me love and hate him, full credit for going 5 rounds and not knowing the meaning of quit.

Equally, comment of the night to Rogan (as ever) - "Hamman looks like a postman."

Completely agree - I was gutted Mir didn't offer more. I legitimately thought he would. I hope Mir doesn't go all Heath Herring and start gatekeeping on us now. Mir needs to go to ATT, get Monson and Bocek - hell, anyone who can wrestle - and teach him. Then he'll be something to be recon'd with again. Gutted.

Mir 4.0 ftw, eh? :D

I don't see him ever becoming the champ again because of guys like Lesnar and Carwin, who can totally neutralize his skills and make him pay for his weaknesses, but match-ups against Dos Santos and Velasquez are still really intriguing. Both those guys have awesome standup, so it would be a treat to watch 'em trade with Frank just to see where everybody's at in terms of technique. A rematch with Big Nog also makes a lot of sense, since they've just both been finished with ease by two elite up-and-coming heavyweights.

Mir 4.0 ftw, eh? :D

I don't see him ever becoming the champ again because of guys like Lesnar and Carwin, who can totally neutralize his skills and make him pay for his weaknesses, but match-ups against Dos Santos and Velasquez are still really intriguing. Both those guys have awesome standup, so it would be a treat to watch 'em trade with Frank just to see where everybody's at in terms of technique. A rematch with Big Nog also makes a lot of sense, since they've just both been finished with ease by two elite up-and-coming heavyweights.

Haha, who knows - he's only 30. I'm not sure if it's looking like a suspect chin or just these guys have ridiculous cinderblock hands.

I think he's probably a few more runs in him, he's just got to sort some things out.

Brandon Vera rematch? ;D

Brandon Vera rematch? ;D

I wouldn't object to that, provided one of 'em adjust their weight accordingly. Vera would be a fool to go back to HW, though, all things considered. On the other hand, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for Frank to consider LHW. I read somewhere that he's one of the guys Anderson Silva wants to have a superfight with, so there's plenty of awesome to come from making such a move.

In other news, looking forward to Gomi vs. Florian tonight. rock3

WTF was Silva doing out there tonight?! No wonder Dana White walked out. Now I just wanna see someone beat his ass.

Sadly, that's how I felt - I mean, I've not heard boos like that for aaaaaaaaaaaages, nor have I heard people chanting "Maia" over and over. Good on Dan Miragliotta for saying he'd deduct a point if he kept pissing about. Maia just couldn't get near him that's the thing, Silva just didn't want to engage. Sadly, unless he didn't KO Maia, he would've been slated anyway...

Speechless, man. Silva is a complete tool. It looks like the GSP fight is being called off now. WTF?! :angry:

I'd love to see him move up to HW and try to pull this kind of shit with any of the Top 5 guys in that division. That's a fucking pathetic excuse, too -- the idea that he felt disrespected. Jesus Christ, God forbid fighters talk a little trash to build up the bout. Two words: Frank Mir. Book it!

On another note, pretty crazy upset by Frankie Edgar. Dude has a hyperreal standup game.

On another note, pretty crazy upset by Frankie Edgar. Dude has a hyperreal standup game.

Tbh I thought BJ won the fight... a split decision to edgar i might have understood but unanimous? And with one judge giving it 50-45!? Wtf?

The challenger has to push the fight and simply moving around a lot does not constitute that imo.