The Official MMA (Mixed martial arts) Thread

vulgar

On another note, pretty crazy upset by Frankie Edgar. Dude has a hyperreal standup game.

Tbh I thought BJ won the fight... a split decision to edgar i might have understood but unanimous? And with one judge giving it 50-45!? Wtf?

The challenger has to push the fight and simply moving around a lot does not constitute that imo.

It was really close, I agree. It could have gone either way, but as much as I was routing for Penn, he just seemed to be off -- either that, or he couldn't do anything except land some jabs on account of Edgar bobbing like a lunatic. I think it just comes down to the fact that Frankie was the one who was pressing hard and dictating the pace. He also took BJ down twice, which hasn't happened at LW in 6 years, so you knew people were all over that. What BJ should have done was try to take it to the ground, but he just stuck with the same gameplan for five rounds and it got him nowhere. It actually kind of reminds me of the Machida/Shogun fight, only in this case the judges gave it to the challenger.

Thanks for that!

Nice to see Frank with his feet on the ground. I admire the dude for being upfront about his shortcomings and learning something from every fight.

Another cool interview:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/othersports/2010/04/11/13542391.html

Cool, comparison chart. Carwin DOES wear size 4XL, he says so himself. http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/shane-carwin-i-call-myself-62-my-glove-size-4xl-1061574/

Hmm... interesting. I wonder why the UFC feels the need to exaggerate Carwin's size; the 6'5 claims, all that talk of his hands being bigger than Brock's -- what's the point?

Brock better take Carwin down or else me thinks he may end up getting KTFO. I hear the fight is gonna happen on July 3rd.

Yep, UFC 116 in Vegas.

Whats with the Silva hate :lol:

The dude embarrased Maia the first 3 rounds and went the distance just to humiliate him. Anderson Silva is the best in the business folks. If we see Silva vs GSP, you better believe Silva will win that fight.

What's up with it is, we didn't pay to watch him dance around like a jackass for 5 rounds, especially when he clearly could've finished the fight. His conduct was very unsportsmanlike. I wish Belfort wouldn't have gotten injured. I don't think Silva would've gotten away with that shit then.

Whats with the Silva hate :lol:

The dude embarrased Maia the first 3 rounds and went the distance just to humiliate him. Anderson Silva is the best in the business folks. If we see Silva vs GSP, you better believe Silva will win that fight.

What's up with it is, we didn't pay to watch him dance around like a jackass for 5 rounds, especially when he clearly could've finished the fight. His conduct was very unsportsmanlike. I wish Belfort wouldn't have gotten injured. I don't think Silva would've gotten away with that shit then.

Silva is cocky and always has been. Look at what he did to Forrest Griffin.... the way he fights is what makes him so entertaining. The lack of sportsmanship is just him being completely pumped when he fights, the dude bows to his opponent before and after every fight. He is still thw best IMO, I still don't think anyone can touch him at the moment. Whoever is lined up with him next will be destroyed.

Silva is cocky and always has been. Look at what he did to Forrest Griffin.... the way he fights is what makes him so entertaining. The lack of sportsmanship is just him being completely pumped when he fights, the dude bows to his opponent before and after every fight. He is still thw best IMO, I still don't think anyone can touch him at the moment. Whoever is lined up with him next will be destroyed.

Yeah he's cocky but he's fun to watch and he doesn't just say shit to stir it up, he's not a disrespectful asswipe like Lesnar or Mir.

All his talking is done in the ring, and in there he's untouchable.

To be honest the last few fights he'd done, it seems he was not serious about them, because the opponents were not worth getting serious about.

Nothing wrong with being cocky, but his antics are clearly annoying and off-putting to the majority of fans and officials. His lack of sportsmanship is also in a different league than say Brock Lesnar's school of "Talk all the shit you want now, motherfucker!" No, Silva is a unique breed of douchebag -- a genuine asshole who superfluously elongates his fights for no other reason than to disrespect the sport and turn his headlining bouts into self-masturbatory, showboating spectacles. I'm also convinced now that he's a supremely "safe" kind of fighter who only risks getting hurt against opponents who are more evenly matched against him. He'll explode and take a chance, imposing his aggression on LHW guys because he knows that finishing those bouts early lies in his best interest, but with MW's, he takes every opportunity to play the methodical sadist who basks in the humiliation of his opponents. He leaves his mark, maintains distance, refuses to engage, and seems entirely content with not only defensive reactivity from there on, but blatant acts of cowardry, which is the only rationale that can haphazardly explain his choice to gingerly circle around the octagon like an uber-pansy for the better part of three rounds. Simply put, hit-and-run is not a calculated strategy for Anderson Silva, it's perverse exploitation refined into an artform. But hey, if you get off on that, good for you. Eat it up when he's relegated to the prelims.

No one is arguing that he isn't an amazing fighter. He could very well be the best P4P in the business, which is why it's all the more frustrating to watch him piss on his legacy.

Nothing wrong with being cocky, but his antics are clearly annoying and off-putting to the majority of fans and officials. His lack of sportsmanship is also in a different league than say Brock Lesnar's school of "Talk all the shit you want now, motherfucker!" No, Silva is a unique breed of douchebag -- a genuine asshole who superfluously elongates his fights for no other reason than to disrespect the sport and turn his headlining bouts into self-masturbatory, showboating spectacles. I'm also convinced now that he's a supremely "safe" kind of fighter who only risks getting hurt against opponents who are more evenly matched against him. He'll explode and take a chance, imposing his aggression on LHW guys because he knows that finishing those bouts early lies in his best interest, but with MW's, he takes every opportunity to play the methodical sadist who basks in the humiliation of his opponents. He leaves his mark, maintains distance, refuses to engage, and seems entirely content with not only defensive reactivity from there on, but blatant acts of cowardry, which is the only rationale that can haphazardly explain his choice to gingerly circle around the octagon like an uber-pansy for the better part of three rounds. Simply put, hit-and-run is not a calculated strategy for Anderson Silva, it's perverse exploitation refined into an artform. But hey, if you get off on that, good for you. Eat it up when he's relegated to the prelims.

No one is arguing that he isn't an amazing fighter. He could very well be the best P4P in the business, which is why it's all the more frustrating to watch him piss on his legacy.

Perfect! I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Cool, comparison chart. Carwin DOES wear size 4XL, he says so himself. http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/shane-carwin-i-call-myself-62-my-glove-size-4xl-1061574/

Hmm... interesting. I wonder why the UFC feels the need to exaggerate Carwin's size; the 6'5 claims, all that talk of his hands being bigger than Brock's -- what's the point?

It's just hype isn't it? I'm glad that actually listed Carwin's height for once - the fact he's shorter than Mir and was billed as being signifcantly taller... :lol:

To be honest, I think a fair few height measurements are out - I mean, I love it when fighters are the same size, and are supposedly 3" apart on the UFC calculator...

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/17574.html

Dana should put this fight on free TV,imo.

I wonder what happens on this season of TUF that forces Tito out? It's now going to be Rich Franklin vs Chuck Liddell in June. I guess a pic leaked that shows Rich's poster hanging in place of Tito's in the UFC gym, and UFC have announced the Franklin/Liddell fight: http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventDetail.Home&eid=2958

Edited by tat2d1

It's just hype isn't it? I'm glad that actually listed Carwin's height for once - the fact he's shorter than Mir and was billed as being signifcantly taller... :lol:

To be honest, I think a fair few height measurements are out - I mean, I love it when fighters are the same size, and are supposedly 3" apart on the UFC calculator...

:D

It actually seems like a completely arbitrary thing because it doesn't make any sense at all to hype up a guy like Carwin and not do the same thing with Lesnar. If anything, it would be more logical to build up the latter, since he's the champ, is clearly the bigger draw, and has a more notable reputation for being a monster. All I can speculate is that consistency isn't a priority for the idiot in the back who fails with numbers.

:D

It actually seems like a completely arbitrary thing because it doesn't make any sense at all to hype up a guy like Carwin and not do the same thing with Lesnar. If anything, it would be more logical to build up the latter, since he's the champ, is clearly the bigger draw, and has a more notable reputation for being a monster. All I can speculate is that consistency isn't a priority for the idiot in the back who fails with numbers.

Same happens with Velasquez and Dos Santos though, although the stats seems reasonable having had a gander. Whilst I agree to an extent, you've also got to build up credible contenders - because after all, they are moulding future title challengers or champions.

Irrespective, we can agree whoever does the numbers is a mong :lol:

To those that haven't seen, we've had seven UFC cuts in the past few days:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18737/rafaello-oliveira-matt-veach-and-mostapha-al-turk-added-to-ufc-cut-list.mma

Lightweights Rafaello Oliveira and Matt Veach and heavyweight Mostapha Al Turk have been added to the list, which included welterweight Jason High, lightweight Rob Emerson, welterweight Brad Blackburn and lightweight Fabricio Camoes.

Edited by The Sandman

Anyone see Henderson get owned by Shields last night?

Yeah, the Strikeforce event was actually a good card except for the final 5 minutes when Miller, Melendez and the idiot Diaz boys got all ghetto. Thanks to all four of you dumbasses for making it even harder for the rest of us to legitimately defend MMA as a disciplined sport and not legalized human cockfighting. :fuckyou:

As for the card, I was surprised King Mo took out Moussasi! His wrestling was strong and just kept taking Gegard down time and again. Was expecting much more from Moussasi.

Shields dominated Hendo, except for that one right hand that put him down momentarily. Couldn't believe how easily Shields kept passing Hendo's guard and mounting.

First of all my take on the whole Anderson situation:

I was enjoying every minute for about 3 rounds, it was entertaining to watch him mock so easily but after the third i just wanted him to put him out of his misery.Dana should actually find somebody to test him instead of placing him in the cage with people not fit to give him a contest.

The Strikeforce brawl is the very thing MMA fans and practitioners hate, it allows the people that would love MMA banned a vehicle for their ignorant views on the sport being nothing more than back street brawling with Neanderthals.The sport has been fighting for a long time to prove it and it's fighters are legitimate professionals that train incredibly hard only to have it placed at risk by stupid kids who would be in jail without the sport.Most of us that watch MMA know Miller to be a complete idiot but not in a malicious way, he is like a child with ADD, what happened was sickening and amounted to nothing more than bullying of the very worst kind.I sit with the misses and watch every event i can, she loves it and she appreciates the technical aspect as well as the striking, she loves nothing more than seeing a guy escape from an arm bar that seems impossible to get free from, my oldest son watches the events with us and all along i felt it was a good thing because he would understand discipline and commitment is far more productive than bullying.Strikeforce is soon to be no more in my opinion anyway but all fighters involved in the attack should be banned from competition for a long time ( Athletic commission revoking fight licences ?) as a warning to more idiots.

I really don't want to keep defending a sport i love to people that think that is the norm.

First of all my take on the whole Anderson situation:

I was enjoying every minute for about 3 rounds, it was entertaining to watch him mock so easily but after the third i just wanted him to put him out of his misery.Dana should actually find somebody to test him instead of placing him in the cage with people not fit to give him a contest.

The Strikeforce brawl is the very thing MMA fans and practitioners hate, it allows the people that would love MMA banned a vehicle for their ignorant views on the sport being nothing more than back street brawling with Neanderthals.The sport has been fighting for a long time to prove it and it's fighters are legitimate professionals that train incredibly hard only to have it placed at risk by stupid kids who would be in jail without the sport.Most of us that watch MMA know Miller to be a complete idiot but not in a malicious way, he is like a child with ADD, what happened was sickening and amounted to nothing more than bullying of the very worst kind.I sit with the misses and watch every event i can, she loves it and she appreciates the technical aspect as well as the striking, she loves nothing more than seeing a guy escape from an arm bar that seems impossible to get free from, my oldest son watches the events with us and all along i felt it was a good thing because he would understand discipline and commitment is far more productive than bullying.Strikeforce is soon to be no more in my opinion anyway but all fighters involved in the attack should be banned from competition for a long time ( Athletic commission revoking fight licences ?) as a warning to more idiots.

I really don't want to keep defending a sport i love to people that think that is the norm.

I love Mayhem! (Though he does kinda act like a child sometimes...) but he really shouldn't have interrupted Shields but the Diaz bros and everyone else shoulda had more class and NOT jumped him. He had like 7 guys on him before they finally broke it up!

There is this one fighter on UFC I always forget his name (I THINK his last name is Anderson) hes welterweight mad tall MAD SKINNY black guy who is LIGHTNING fast. Like his fists scare me they are so fast. He knocked some guy out in 52 seconds in the first round I was like woah....

:krider:

Current UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar returns to the UFC Octagon this summer after an extended layoff due to a server case of mononucleosis. Lesnar was scheduled to face top contender Shane Carwin at UFC 106 this past November.

Reports began to surface online websites of Lesnar’s removal from the event in late October. Lesnar’s camp confirmed the news shortly thereafter.

While Lesnar remained on the sidelines due to his illness, the UFC put Shane Carwin vs. Frank Mir for the interim UFC Heavyweight Championship While fans encouraged a Mir/Lesnar III bout, Carwin silenced critics with a devastating KO of Frank Mir.

Lesnar last fought at UFC 100, which took place July 11, 2009, where he defeated Mir and successfully defended his championship for the first time. Franklin McNeil of ESPN’s MMA Live spoke on the likely date of the Carwin/Lesnar, which is believed to be at UFC 116 on July 3.

"The UFC has not confirmed this right now so it's not official, but several sources have told me that both Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin have signed to complete this fight. Dana White said he wanted this fight to happen in July, it looks like it's going to happen," said McNeil.

UFC great Tito Ortiz was arrested this morning for felony domestic violence at the home he shares with Jenna Jameson in Huntington Beach, California.

TMZ.com reports that cops were called to the couple’s home after somebody called 911 at 9:53am this morning and reported a “disturbance.”

Police arrived to the scene and called for a Crime Scene Investigation unit after seeing that Jenna Jameson had sustained “visible injuries.”

Tito and Jenna are not married, but they have twin boys together.

According to TMZ, Tito is currently in custody and on his way to a Huntington Beach jail in Orange County, CA.