Should we get the album same day as the critics?

dtjmf13

i was thinkin, since readin the new article from Rolling Stone and knowin the album could show up on any Tuesday comin, should that mean everyone gets the album at the same time?

i think that we the fans have waited so long for this record and the fact that the critics from magazines etc would hear it before us wouldnt be right.

The fans will get it first. That way the FANS can digest the album without having some cock-boy critic slating it for not having Slash in the band.

Also if the album hits shops without promotion, we the fans will buy countless copies withough it being hijacked for download!

The Stone Roses did the same thing with the second coming and got slaughtered for it...

Actually not exactly the same thing.... they also did no interviews either and gave the Big Issue (magazine for homeless people to sell to 'earn a living') an exclusive interview. It became the biggest selling issue ever, and the album got panned.

However when the journalists finally got over it, they were voting it as the best album of the year. Music eventually talks for itself I guess.

LP

gave the Big Issue (magazine for homeless people to sell to 'earn a living') an exclusive interview. It became the biggest selling issue ever, and the album got panned.

that sounds like such a cool thing to do.....pitty it didn't really work out for them.

There is a reason movies are held back from critics and released without any major reviews.

And it AIN'T cause they are awesome.

The Grudge 2, anyone? :rofl-lol:

But horror movies are held back more than most anyway.

Look, I know we have a strong contingent here who truly believe this is the most anticipated album of the decade. I am not. I see no evidence to support that mindset other then message board fanboy back and forth.

I hope it does well. But I damn sure don't see this huge demand a lot of you do, which is why this whole promotion "strategy" makes zero sense to me.

many will probably bash it (like kerrang, which will bash without even having a copy of it).

But i think it will get fair reviews too, for example form the rolling stone, they really seem to like axl, and a RS title story is for sure good promotion

Edited by Ragnarok

gave the Big Issue (magazine for homeless people to sell to 'earn a living') an exclusive interview. It became the biggest selling issue ever, and the album got panned.

that sounds like such a cool thing to do.....pitty it didn't really work out for them.

Yeah they still did ok the album sold ok, but like I said it pissed off the critics.

When they signed a deal with Geffen and walked about the streets of manchester giving their advance away to the homeless as well. Alright bunch o' guys really. I like people who do stuff against the grain for artistic reasons more than sucking the devil's cock to sell a few more records to people who don't understand the music in the first place. It's why I kinda want this releasing it with no date thing would happen.

Fuck the media and fuck selling millions of albums to the average morons who won't appreciate it. Axl doesn't need the money, so it doesn't matter if he doesn't sell a billion in the first week. I don't give 2 fucks about GnR being the biggest band. I just want them to produce great music and get the sales that way.

Anyway enough of this I need a beer

LP

I imagine the album will be held back from critics, record stores and radio stations until it is released. It is really the only way to prevent it leaking and even that isn't foolproof. The promotion(if you can even call it that) for this album is the worst I have ever seen-but there must be some hidden strategy behind it, or else Axl and Merck are simply delusional enough to believe the album will sell huge numbers based on name recognition alone. Obviously the hardcore fans will be lining up at midnight to buy it, but CD isn't UYI and we need to recognize that it will not sell like that initially. In order to sell CD to the average lsitener there has to be a strong single and video in heavy rotation. The whole idea Merck has put forward that there may not even be a release date makes me wonder what the hell he is smoking and where can I get some of it.

The whole idea Merck has put forward that there may not even be a release date makes me wonder what the hell he is smoking and where can I get some of it.

yeah i really hope that this Merck guy is smarter than he sounds....becuase he doesn't sound that good....and that he truly comes up with something amazing to impress us....i am looking forward to his techniques as much as i am to Axl's album....he's also been built up so much over the past few years....if he fucks up on this one...let's just pray that the music is really that good to make up for it....

I imagine the album will be held back from critics, record stores and radio stations until it is released. It is really the only way to prevent it leaking and even that isn't foolproof. The promotion(if you can even call it that) for this album is the worst I have ever seen-but there must be some hidden strategy behind it, or else Axl and Merck are simply delusional enough to believe the album will sell huge numbers based on name recognition alone. Obviously the hardcore fans will be lining up at midnight to buy it, but CD isn't UYI and we need to recognize that it will not sell like that initially. In order to sell CD to the average lsitener there has to be a strong single and video in heavy rotation. The whole idea Merck has put forward that there may not even be a release date makes me wonder what the hell he is smoking and where can I get some of it.

There isn't any need to hold the album back from critics in order to prevent leaks. Music critics can be brought into the record company's office and allowed to listen to the album, and that will prevent them from leaking anything.

Maybe I'm wrong but didn't Metallica play their "black album" for a group of fans before its release? That might be a way to create some excitement about CD.

makes sense why let the media bash it before the fans get to listen to it :shades: maybe Axl knows what he doing alittle more than we think at times

I think you're 100% spot on. I don't know who some of these burger flipping critics around here think they are, but they're nothing more than burger flipping critics on some fan forum. I'm sure major record companies and Axl Rose know what they're doing. It's their job.

official promotion for most major albums doesn't begin until a few weeks before release...we are still about a month away from the possible release date, so no need to get all your panties up in a bunch yet!! chill the fuck out everyone, geez! i think the harley ad will be the first step and obviously it was puled for a few days for a reason, but once it is "officially" out there i think the ball will really start rolling and we will slowly start to hear more and more until the big crescendo of the actual release. do yo guys seriously think management and the record company has no clue what they are doing? do you think they have NO experience whatsoever?? come on!?! give me a break....