New Track - "Better" - Used In Harley-Davidson Ad

captaint

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to read 28 page thread, so these issues mays have been covered already. Two conflicting ideas come to mind. Obviously there is the idea that this is great promotion for the band, but there is also the possibilty that some people will consider this selling out. Personally, I used to think that having one's music or likeness in any form of advertising was selling out. The state of modern music has changed that opinion. Now my feeling is that as long as the band isn't changing their music to fit in with the trends of the mainstream they can retain their credibility. Better may have a poppy feel during the verse parts, but taking the song as a whole I don't think it is pandering to the masses.

Better may have a poppy feel during the verse parts, but taking the song as a whole I don't think it is pandering to the masses.

It's not, but when you haven't released any music for 15 years and this is the first thing people hear of your new venture, it makes him seem kind of soft as the specific clip sounds ultra poppy, even though the rest of the song is heavier.

Establishing that he can still do balls to the wall rock might have been the best plan of attack if you want to perpetuate to an audience that this is really GNR. I doubt at first glance that type of song is what people are going to be expecting from the new Guns N' Roses album.

It sounds like a different vocal track and slower than the demo. Or it may be the sleeping pills I just took.

Hmm, I'm not sure the vocal track has changed. But I agree, the one in the Harley ad definitely has a slower tempo. On my first few listens I must say I prefer the song a bit faster. And I'm not liking the mix. I think the guitars are too low relative to Axl's voice. You hear Axl crystal clear but the music is so low in the mix. I hope this is adjusted on the album (but I doubt it will be since this is likely the album version). The song just lacks the punch the demo version had.

Of course, you can't pass judgement based on song clips. Perhaps they turned up Axl's vocals just for the ad itself so that the lyrics could be heard more clearly. Who knows.

Edited by KBear

Odd....it still plays 'Better' for me.

Yeah, it's still doing it for me too, but I think it's a Firefox thing perhaps. Are you using Firefox or what? Cuz I think Firefox had the page cached from when I watched it earlier. When I switch it to "low bandwidth," it plays the PC one. Also, when I open it in IE it plays the PC one.

they havent taken it down at all ...im not sure they will either because advertisements are an exception i believe ....to somethng like a music film clip thats ripped from a DVD source

i could be wrong but i dont see why the commercial would be deleted

(i noticed that the solo is different on this version of better and the drums are heavier in the mix)

Edited by motownjunkie