Axl's voice in 2002 vs 1992 vs 2006

brock landers

I can't listen to 2002 bootlegs. He sounds awful. It's depressing seeing/hearing your idol like that.

I'd rate his voice like this:

86-89 = His peak. Perfection. Nothing beats his live singing from this time.

91-93 = Even though he did have his off days and blew out his voice, he still sounded amazing at times.

2006 = Awesome. When he's on form, he blows away the bad performances of the UYI era, but he still can't match his peak in the UYI era.

2002 = Absolutlely awful.

Edited by Slash's Appetite

His WORST day in 91-93 is better than his best day with that helium sounding crap in 02. 06 is a different story, but i guess the question i have is what the hell was wrong in 02 and was this the reason he stopped the tour and went away for basically another 4 years? Did he have some sort of vocal surgery in that time too?

I think the point of this was "what happened between 2002 and 2006 that makes him sound a lot more like 1992 in 2006 than he did in 2002".

It's not about picking out certain concerts to "prove" that his voice was better in a certain year!!

Plus how many times has this piss-poor argument been had!?!

Some people like his "fucked voice" e.g. in Tokyo 1992, some people prefer it now, 1986-1990 was the best etc... etc... his voice is sounding pretty great nowadays that's what's important about that.

So any ideas how his voice improved so much - is fitness really that important to someones voice (obviously he'll be out or breath if he runs about, but surely the rasp isn't affected)?

LP

I can't listen to 2002 bootlegs. He sounds awful. It's depressing seeing/hearing your idol like that.

I'd rate his voice like this:

86-89 = His peak. Perfection. Nothing beats his live singing from this time.

91-93 = Even though he did have his off days and blew out his voice, he still sounded amazing at times.

2006 = Awesome. When he's on form, he blows away the bad performances of the UYI era, but he still can't match his peak in the UYI era.

2002 = Absolutlely awful.

exactly. :lol:

I really don´t think his 2002 show was shot, please people listen to "The Blues" from Pittsburgh 02 and tell me that is not amazing. His voice doesn´t has the rasp, but he seems like he has infinite breath, i don´t think he holds the screams as long now as back in 02.

I really don´t think his 2002 show was shot, please people listen to "The Blues" from Pittsburgh 02 and tell me that is not amazing. His voice doesn´t has the rasp, but he seems like he has infinite breath, i don´t think he holds the screams as long now as back in 02.

but overall it was terrible in 2002 there are exceptions

but overall it was terrible in 2002 there are exceptions

Yeah and i don´t want so defend him, i really thought Rir 3 was a great concert for the atmosphere, but i so much dislike axl´s voice.

In 02 it was better, but i don´t have many boots from that, just some single songs from different shows.

He just seems like a totally different singer in 02, in rio it was weak, but i think 02 there were other things goings on. Inidianna Rose, who I really resepect for his good posts, did even say that Axl did sing without the rasp on purpose which might be true. I don´t know, although i can´t see his reasons for it.

I really love the chicago 92 concert, i think his voice is just spot on, although some songs like sweet child could have been a bit cleaner sung.

I also love his 06 voice but sometimes he sounds a bit too "weak" (don´t know how to describe it) to me, there would be one verse where he sings very high pitched, and then in the next one it´s full with strength.

For me it seems like he can now decide how much power he wants to put into a scream and thats ok, even great if it gives us a whole great tour.

In 2002 the highlights were, The Blues, and Live And Let Die. Those screams in LALD were fucking amazing. Check Albany.

You took my example, And trust me the boots don't do justice to the live performance of it, If that says anything. Really the whole albany show wasn't bad, I liked Hammerstein better overall. But I cannot complain at all about Albany 02, I just wish their was an Albany 06, or 07.

Inidianna Rose, who I really resepect for his good posts, did even say that Axl did sing without the rasp on purpose which might be true. I don´t know, although i can´t see his reasons for it.

i remember that post. he was spot on with that i think. saving his voice for recording and such...