AXL Not Smelling Like A Rose To Fans

Midnight Gunner2

AXL Not Smelling Like A Rose To Fans - Nov. 7, 2006

Several disappointed GUNS N' ROSES fans spoke to the Portland Press Herald about the group's cancellation of its concert at the Cumberland County Civic Center in Portland Monday (Nov. 6), 2 1/2 hours before the event was scheduled to begin.

The unexplained cancellation angered fans, many of whom pinned the decision on GUNS N' ROSES lead singer Axl Rose, who has a reputation for calling off shows.

"I got all dressed up; I went all out for this concert," said 17-year-old Misty McAuliffe of Rockland, standing across the street from the civic center in a tight black outfit and a GUNS N' ROSES belt buckle.

Fans like McAuliffe turned a section of Free Street behind the civic center into ground zero for Rose-bashing Monday night.

While fans griped outside, a crew of dozens worked inside the civic center to take apart the stage, which was show-ready - lighting, amplifiers and all — by 5:30 p.m., when GUNS N' ROSES' promoter told the venue's manager the show was off.

Steve Crane, the civic center's general manager, said the band's promoter, AEG Live, did not give a reason for the decision.

Crane, who has worked at the venue for 29 years, said he could remember only one or two other times when a show was called off so close to the scheduled starting time.

He said he scrambled to tell local television and radio stations about the decision in hopes some fans would get the word before leaving for the concert.

Approximately 3,400 fans bought tickets for the show; Crane said the venue could've accommodated around 6,500 spectators Monday. Tickets were $65, and vendors will give refunds beginning today at the box office.

Chris Kirby, 39, of New Gloucester said a parking garage attendant in Portland told him the show was canceled. Kirby brought his son, stepson and one of the boys' friends with him to the show.

The four stood outside the civic center around 6:15 p.m. Monday when a passerby jokingly asked, "Where's Axl?"

"He better be far, far away," Kirby said, laughing.

Jonni Tegarden, 58, of Rumford said she attended the show at the Meadowlands Sunday and couldn't believe the Portland concert was canceled.

"(Rose) was in a really good mood last night," said Tegarden, who was once president of California-based Ruthless Management and said she has known the singer for years.

Rose, who has been going from city to city by plane during the tour, did not come to Portland, the civic center's Crane said.

AXL Not Smelling Like A Rose To Fans - Nov. 7, 2006

Several disappointed GUNS N' ROSES fans spoke to the Portland Press Herald about the group's cancellation of its concert at the Cumberland County Civic Center in Portland Monday (Nov. 6), 2 1/2 hours before the event was scheduled to begin.

The unexplained cancellation angered fans, many of whom pinned the decision on GUNS N' ROSES lead singer Axl Rose, who has a reputation for calling off shows.

"I got all dressed up; I went all out for this concert," said 17-year-old Misty McAuliffe of Rockland, standing across the street from the civic center in a tight black outfit and a GUNS N' ROSES belt buckle.

Fans like McAuliffe turned a section of Free Street behind the civic center into ground zero for Rose-bashing Monday night.

While fans griped outside, a crew of dozens worked inside the civic center to take apart the stage, which was show-ready - lighting, amplifiers and all — by 5:30 p.m., when GUNS N' ROSES' promoter told the venue's manager the show was off.

Steve Crane, the civic center's general manager, said the band's promoter, AEG Live, did not give a reason for the decision.

Crane, who has worked at the venue for 29 years, said he could remember only one or two other times when a show was called off so close to the scheduled starting time.

He said he scrambled to tell local television and radio stations about the decision in hopes some fans would get the word before leaving for the concert.

Approximately 3,400 fans bought tickets for the show; Crane said the venue could've accommodated around 6,500 spectators Monday. Tickets were $65, and vendors will give refunds beginning today at the box office.

Chris Kirby, 39, of New Gloucester said a parking garage attendant in Portland told him the show was canceled. Kirby brought his son, stepson and one of the boys' friends with him to the show.

The four stood outside the civic center around 6:15 p.m. Monday when a passerby jokingly asked, "Where's Axl?"

"He better be far, far away," Kirby said, laughing.

Jonni Tegarden, 58, of Rumford said she attended the show at the Meadowlands Sunday and couldn't believe the Portland concert was canceled.

"(Rose) was in a really good mood last night," said Tegarden, who was once president of California-based Ruthless Management and said she has known the singer for years.

Rose, who has been going from city to city by plane during the tour, did not come to Portland, the civic center's Crane said.

Dont wanna sound like a ass, but can we drop this????? concerts have been cancelled before, and btw a 17 year old isnt a die hard GNR fan. They are the newcomers, she will have plenty of time to see concerts.

Dont wanna sound like a ass, but can we drop this????? concerts have been cancelled before, and btw a 17 year old isnt a die hard GNR fan. They are the newcomers, she will have plenty of time to see concerts.

Um, dude. I'm 17 and I've been brought up on GnR. I grew up watching Oklahoma, Tokyo, Indiana, St. Louis, etc on VHS. Watched the Paris PPV, '92 VMA's, World premier (sp) of Estranged, etc...

But, I guess, since I'm only 17, I'm a 'newcomer' to Guns N' Roses.

Fans Get Thorns

Two disappointed GUNS N' ROSES fags spoke to the Porkland Press Herald about the group's cancellation of its concert at the Cumberland Cunty Civic Center in Porkand Monday (Nov. 6), 2 1/2 seconds before the event was scheduled to begin.

The explained cancellation mildly irritated fans, many of whom nailed the decision on GUNS N' ROSES lead screecher Axl "Bail" Rose, who has a reputation for abusing drugs, women and little lost poodles.

"I got all dressed up; I went all out for this concert in my moms lace panties," said 17-year-old Misty McCuntliffe of Fockland, standing across the street from the civic center in a tight pvc black mini-shirt and a GUNS N' ROSES halter top looking to pick up GNR roadies by flashing her beer gut.

Fans like McCuntliffe turned a section of Free Street behind the civic center into ground zero for Bail-bashing Monday night.

While fans danced outside, a crew of dozens laughed inside the civic center to take apart the stage, which was show-ready - lighting, amplifiers, oxygen tent and all — by 5:30 p.m., when GUNS N' ROSES' promoter told the venue's manager the show was fucked.

Steve Crane, the civic center's general manager, said the band's promoter, AEG Live, did give a reason for the decision but it was unrepeatable with young children and ladies present.

Crane, who has worked at the venue for no time at all, said he could remember only 50 or 200 other times when a show was called off so close to the scheduled starting time.

Rose is said to have order chili fries and a coke seconds before calling off the most eagerly awaited show in Porklands musically diverse history.

Smack and cappucinos all round.

Edited by wasted

Um, dude. I'm 17 and I've been brought up on GnR. I grew up watching Oklahoma, Tokyo, Indiana, St. Louis, etc on VHS. Watched the Paris PPV, '92 VMA's, World premier (sp) of Estranged, etc...

But, I guess, since I'm only 17, I'm a 'newcomer' to Guns N' Roses.

If you are 17 then you werent alive when AFD came out. You are a newcomer. You were not brought up on GNR you were brought up on formula, then milk. You were not alive to see the phenomena, you came after. It is not a slight, but I dont claim to get the beatles, even though I have always heard them. I was not there. I dont care if you were listening since you were 0, and you have plenty of time to see shows, stop whining.

Dude, Age ain't got shit to do with anything, just because I'm 17 does not mean a thing, I've seen the shows, live on PPV, bootleg VHS, wore out 4 copies of my Dad's UYI I before I was in Kindetgarten (My Mom told me this the other night). So, in your eyes, because I'm not as old as you, means I'm a new comer? Well, you're wrong, I've been listening to GnR probably more so then any other 'newcomer' on this site.

Just because you're older, and were around for the release of AFD, doesn't mean a thing.

Wow, he's 17, that automaticly means he's a 'newcomer', yet, he was raised almost exclusivly on Guns N' Roses, along with a bunch of other classic bands. I've been 'round the boards since the days of the GNRONLINE board, a year or two after HTGTH launched, MYGNR back in the blue n' white skin days (Although I wasn't registered) GNRX, lost rose, Gunner Temple, 2TI, GNRSUCKS before the hacks. I've always been heavliy interested in GnR.

I personally, think that becuase you're older, doesn't give you the right to justify if someone's a new comer or not, like I've already said, age does not mean a thing.

Gunzen Alex probably knows more about GNR than you (or most people on this board) dude. He's like the encyclopedia.

Who knows if this is gnr's last tour? We all know Axl and how sometimes he just disappears.. That's why I NEED to see him this time around, because I don't know if I'll get another chance.

Edited by kevin

So I can't be a real Beethoven fan unless i'm 200 years old?

fission mailed

Are you guys blind???I didnt say you werent fans. Damn, where did I say that??? I just said you were not there for the phenomena. There was a vibe, GNR killed Poison, Big hair rock etc. But if you werent alive when it happened, then you are new to it. Why is that so hard to understand?

As for beetoven, yes you can be a fan, but you were not there when he changed music, so you are a newcomer. I wasnt here when be bop, happened, beetlemania, motown, etc, but I am a fan. But I will not say I fully understand it. Music can (sometimes) change society, GNR changed Rock an Roll, but you werent there 17 year old. And by the way, if you were two when the VMA's were on, you didnt understand it. Dont be so damn pretentious.

GNR changed music, like the Beatles, Nirvana, James Brown, and us who were in our teens or older saw it. And you didnt . By the way, knowledge doesnt make you a fan. Experiance does. I cant read music, but a 17 year old who can play SCOM will never kow what it was like. Case closed.

STOP MISQUOTING ME!!! Never said "not a fan" jackass.

In the future, please take the time to think and read carefully before you post. I never questions anyones comittment, but to use a 17 year old as the main point in an article is like asking a 12 year old about the Kennedy assasination. He knows, but he wasnt there.

Edited by Gunzen

So are the youngn's fans or not ?and where is the definative line chronologically? If thier mommas sang them to sleep with such loveable lullabyes like Welcome to the Jungle and Out to Get Me- I think in this one case we can assume that they get the two thumbs up to hop in the GUNS AND ROSES fanwagon( but they gotta be the designated drivers) but just this once and never again... are we all agreed? All in favor say FUCK YEAH!

So are the youngn's fans or not ?and where is the definative line chronologically? If thier mommas sang them to sleep with such loveable lullabyes like Welcome to the Jungle and Out to Get Me- I think in this one case we can assume that they get the two thumbs up to hop in the GUNS AND ROSES fanwagon( but they gotta be the designated drivers) but just this once and never again... are we all agreed? All in favor say FUCK YEAH!

I dont know who you are talking to. Not me, cause I never mentioned who is a fan and who isnt? I just stated a simple fact , a 17 year old cannot possibly imagine what GNR did cause they werent there. (not cause they are young, they just werent alive yet) GNR turned music on its ear, made glam rock bands look like pussies, and brought the coolness back to rock. Due to their musical skill they raised the bar as well. Motley Crue looked like amatuers. No 17 year old is gonna speak for GNR to me. You may witness history now, but dont be so pretentious to think you know their history, cause song lists and memorizing albums and bootlegs doesnt make you know the effect they had.

Fans, hell yeah, you all are, but you are newcomers, or newbies as you guys like to say.

Edited by Gunzen

I dont know who you are talking to. Not me, cause I never mentioned who is a fan and who isnt? I just stated a simple fact , a 17 year old cannot possibly imagine what GNR did cause they werent there. (not cause they are young, they just werent alive yet) GNR turned music on its ear, made glam rock bands look like pussies, and brought the coolness back to rock. Due to their musical skill they raised the bar as well. Motley Crue looked like amatuers. No 17 year old is gonna speak for GNR to me. You may witness history now, but dont be so pretentious to think you know their history, cause song lists and memorizing albums and bootlegs doesnt make you know the effect they had.

Fans, hell yeah, you all are, but you are newcomers, or newbies as you guys like to say.

Umm I was there in Hollywood in 86. I was there in Denver in 87 and Pheonix. 91 and 92....and in Moline in 02- Ummm I've been around just a little bit with this band...this aint my first rodeo.

Umm I was there in Hollywood in 86. I was there in Denver in 87 and Pheonix. 91 and 92....and in Moline in 02- Ummm I've been around just a little bit with this band...this aint my first rodeo.

Are you gonna tell me a 17 year old knows the depths of GNR as well as you? Just because they could beat you at GNR trivia?

I was referring to the article which cited a 17 year old complaining .

Never even referenced you. But good on ya.

Are you gonna tell me a 17 year old knows the depths of GNR as well as you? Just because they could beat you at GNR trivia?

I was referring to the article which cited a 17 year old complaining .

Never even referenced you. But good on ya.

No... I was just doing a shout out to the 17 year olds who have some class and taste in thier catalog. Thats what makes this tour so important to people like me.... especially for people like my nephew who really needs to learn how to rock. But there are some out there that know alot about the band.. thier music and history. If things wouldn't have been so fucked up with GNR.... it to couldhav ebeen the greatist icon band of thier generation too. OH BY THE WAY... my vote is a loud FUCK YEAH!!!

Edited by rockerman

I was around for the UYI era, experienced the craze of November Rain and YCBM with Terminator 2 and let me tell you even then at the height of their fame, it was probably nothing compared to that AFD era time period when they were just complete badasses breaking out of the gutter and blowing the crappy glam bands off the stage. That must have been an amazing thing to experience.

The younger fans are far more welcoming to the new iteration of Guns than us oldies...I guess I can't hold it against them. If you actually experienced Guns in their prime...there was nothing really like it. The only other "recent" band I can think of with that kind of raw power, street cred and magnetism probably was Nirvana...

I was around for the UYI era, experienced the craze of November Rain and YCBM with Terminator 2 and let me tell you even then at the height of their fame, it was probably nothing compared to that AFD era time period when they were just complete badasses breaking out of the gutter and blowing the crappy glam bands off the stage. That must have been an amazing thing to experience.

The younger fans are far more welcoming to the new iteration of Guns than us oldies...I guess I can't hold it against them. If you actually experienced Guns in their prime...there was nothing really like it. The only other "recent" band I can think of with that kind of raw power, street cred and magnetism probably was Nirvana...

Dude, that is my point exactly, and I hope all the younger people experiance another musical revolution as I did. GNR or not. My son is 13 and he loves GNR, and I hope he sees another. And you analogy of Nirvana was right, the changed everyting.

One more thing, the most innovative rock stars are useually the ones who ae the most enigmatic and have the most trouble. I think if you take away Axls attitude and disposition you have Mettalica, and lame ass introspective videos. If I was a Metallica fan and saw that movie I would be embarrased. :P

I'm 31. I didn't get into GNR untill the UYI's came out. Am I a newcomer?

Anyone who didn't experience GnR during the AFD era will probably not get the true extent of their influence and how much they changed music.

I was around for UYI like you and experienced the gnr madness during those times. They were the biggest band in the world, yet it probably was nothing like the AFD period. By the time of UYI, Nirvana was already overshadowing them in the biz. GnR at that point were a shell of their former selves...

Dude, that is my point exactly, and I hope all the younger people experiance another musical revolution as I did. GNR or not. My son is 13 and he loves GNR, and I hope he sees another. And you analogy of Nirvana was right, the changed everyting.

One more thing, the most innovative rock stars are useually the ones who ae the most enigmatic and have the most trouble. I think if you take away Axls attitude and disposition you have Mettalica, and lame ass introspective videos. If I was a Metallica fan and saw that movie I would be embarrased. :P

Agreed...Axl is responsible for making Guns "The most dangerous band in the world"...him and the fact that the old lineup were really charismatic and looked like rockstars made them untouchable during that time...

Like Matt Sorum said on Behind the music, "That kind of shit will never happen again".