MSG Reviews

madison

Will people that saw both the 2002 and 2006 shows please tell me and the rest of this forum which show was better....then tell me who should fuck off

Saw 2002 twice..

Saw Hammerstein May 17...won't see the arena show until next Wednesday.

Sonically,visually,nunchuck-ually...Hammerstein was far superior.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I won't change my tune once the album drops. You know why? Cuase I will never be excited watching these guitar players live, they are just boring

Ron Thal and Richard Fortus are anything but boring. That's a genuine and honest verdict Kaneda, I find BBF's solo far more exciting than Slash's talk box one on the UYI II dvd.

Ron has ZERO fucking stage presence. Say what you must about Bucket, but that man was 10 times better than RON and all these other fucks.

Hmm okay....

Were talking about stage presene..... yeh.... bucket had loads of that just standing there looking like a fucking robot & a fag. ;)

And tbh im sure that EVERYONE APART FROM YOU would take Ron's Dont Cry solo over some nun-chuck freak show who does a fucking robot dance on stage

*OMG HOW ROCK AND ROLL IS TEH ROBOT DANCE ! * :laugh:

Dude wake the fuck up..... Bucket did NOT fit in with GnR, he was more of an embarasment than anything. The more GnR do to distance themselfs from him, the better IMO.

CJ

Other parts of note: Finck was awesome. and even staged-dived into the crowd and crowd-surfed for a while as he was playing. ..

If he did that I'll change my mind about Finck right now.

Finck is COOL!!!!!!!!

too bad he can't play guitar though.

mr.Q

The simple fact that Robin has emerged on stage with so much charisma and confidence is evidence enough. Nevermind that Axl himself is a totally different person. He looks and sounds like Axl Rose. Sure, he may miss some notes from night to night, but it is easy to see how much more comfortable on stage he is today compared to four years ago.

Doesn't this tell you that they dropped the "mysterious" look to the band for a more "normal" look? It's in most of the significant members. Now they look "normal" - on top of playing a dated setlist to fans who in part want new material (amid the immovable IMHO old classics) - and that is not working in today's world. 2002 on the other hand still remains shrouded in mystery... that's what makes it memorable. That's why releasing "IRS" with Buckethead shredding in the video would have put Gn'R back on top in 2002/03, not BBF boring us on "Better" in 2006.

Hammerstein rocked and I enjoyed the shows here... but other than that.<_<

No I won't change my tune once the album drops. You know why? Cuase I will never be excited watching these guitar players live, they are just boring

Ron Thal and Richard Fortus are anything but boring. That's a genuine and honest verdict Kaneda, I find BBF's solo far more exciting than Slash's talk box one on the UYI II dvd.

What about this?

-Kickingthehabit

I am sure BBF, RF and RFor are torn up about that. Personally, one less Asshole at a concert is always a good thing. :) Dude, your act is more tired than Pearl Jam, We are kinda bored of you. I am actualy more apathetic to you than anything. I just dont care man.

If you could have come up with a "point" when you argue that would be good, but it seems from your last 50 or so posts you just regurgitate old complaints. :sleeper:

was anyone able to get some pics or videos???

Considering the security was non existant, and I saw about 30 cameras before I stopped counting, there should be a lot of footage/photos popping up eventually.

Other parts of note: Finck was awesome. and even staged-dived into the crowd and crowd-surfed for a while as he was playing. ..

If he did that I'll change my mind about Finck right now.

Finck is COOL!!!!!!!!

too bad he can't play guitar though.

mr.Q

Yeah, he should just be moved to cowbell player or something.

Lets' not get things confused 2002 kicked 2006's ass.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD!!!!!!

of all things that is the funniest thing i have ever heard you say EVER!

yeah Axl was SO much cooler in 2002 with those oversized jerseys and beyond shitty voice.

OH yeah and fink didnt look like a fag at all and his playing was SO much better too!

not to mention how much they were getting made fun of for having buckethead in there, and that abrupt cancellation KICKED ASS!

Also, a filled MSG and AXL never ONCE mentioned the album...he never talked about the new songs, he didn't sing any news songs...

What? I was there. I do believe they played The Blues, IRS, Better, and Chinese Democracy (which I thought sounded the best that I've heard it yet and I really haven't liked that song much until last night). That's 4 "new" songs. We know we aren't gettin' any more off CD until the album drops, so stop anticipating we'll hear a new "big gun" or whatever.

Hey just offering another review. I was sending texts back to several members all night.

Basics:

The crowd was fantastic they had energy all night long really made the show a memorable one.

The new vocal patterns on KOHD were freaking sweet as hell. Maybe they arent new but i know he didnt do the extra vocal scales when i saw them at the Hammerstein in May

Better sounded very good as did IRS and The Blues will become an instant fan favorite if they put the same amount of energy into it as they did last night for all the rest of the tour.

Nightrain, Out ta get me, and you could be mine were a lot better than they were back at the Hammerstein (4th show) in May. In fact his voice overall was soo much improved.

I was disappointed (this will sound like me being selfish i know a lot of people would have kille dto be there and i shouldnt complain) that there was no announcement of the CD release, no Izzy, no rocket queen, and no real rant other than his "MYtube in HERspace" joke

The show was great i can give tons of details or answer any questions just write them below.

-Johnny

*I found people in my section sitting down, playing with their phones, and even chatting with each other during the solos. I think they need to be cut in half.

marry me madison! :)

Not to be redundant, but I can put up with a few slow spots so Axl can take a breather, after all, he is over 40. He obviously needs the breaks. I took the oppurtunity to get a breather as well, why is that bad???And it would be one thing if he played for an hour and a half and took the breaks, but he plays well over two hours, so there are still between 18-20 full songs. Stop the damn nitpicking, jesus. Besides, we need breaks to get the text messages out! ;)

See I love how everyone tells me to FUCK OFF, but anyone that was at MSG last night saw the concert momentum DIE after 5 songs, and it never came back..

I have no idea which show you attended, but it certainly couldn't have been last night's MSG show. Yes, the momentum slowed down during the solos, but it certainly bounced back. I found the applause absolutely thunderous when they played the classics, and the sound of people singing drowned out Axl's voice in many places. So, how can you claim the momentum died after five songs? :huh:

.. .

I love how even Del James said that everyone tried hard to get Bucket back in the band...BUCKET was THE MOST interesting part of the new band, you can't deny that...

I totally disagree.

I was cracking open the champagne when I heard Buckethead had departed, and I haven't missed him one bit since. Yes, he is an extraordinarily talented guitarist -- but it takes more than raw talent to make a band. It takes stage presence, chemistry, soul, and interacting with the other band members for a band to truly come into its own. I didn't see any of that back in 2002, but I did see it at last night's show.

In 2002, it was a collection of musicians - each with their own individual personas, attire, attitude, gimmicks, etc - bumping into each other on the stage because they hadn't played together long enough to be a band. But today - we have a band that plays together and has real chemistry.

.. Ron has ZERO fucking stage presence. Say what you must about Bucket, but that man was 10 times better than RON and all these other fucks. ..

I laughed out loud at this one. Are you trying to suggest Buckethead - with his yellow raincoat, bucket and mask who never mixed with the other band members onstage - had stage presence? roflmao. Ron has the stage presence of Mick Jagger compared with Buckethead.

And btw - the best of the new songs we've heard - "Better" - was written by Mr. Finck - not Buckethead. I rest my case.

.. Will people that saw both the 2002 and 2006 shows please tell me and the rest of this forum which show was better....then tell me who should fuck off

2006 - hands down.

Did they have sound "mix" problems last night that made Axl's vocal too soft? Yes.

Could they shorten the solos in half? Definitely.

Could they have added a few different songs from the AFD and Illusions era into the mix? Sure.

But overall, it was still a good show.

Guest Duffan2

Wish I was , there , anyway on the whole it seems as it was a much better show than in 02 and that Axl sounded a lot better , I'm suprised there was no mntion of any new material , or CD but that's alright I'm just glad that he's back out there , wish they would play the Nassua Colisuem out by me .

Peace GnR Nation :shades:

I am talking about the 2002 MSG show to the 2006 MSG show, moron. And by the way, Axl was running around a lot more in 2002...and the crowd was much more into it then.

Hey Jerkoff, Can you shut up about the 2002 MSG show already? I went to the 2002 MSG show and in my opinion it was ok at best . Axl's voice sucked and Buckethead was a joke. Playing Star Wars and willie wonka themes at a GNR show is pathetic . Everybody in my section was booing and yelling for the douchebag to stop playing because it was just ridiculous. I saw the original band 4 times and those shows were magnificent . The 2002 show was average . The 2006 GNR blow away the 2002 band out of the water. Axl actually looks more like a rock star this time around instead of 50 cent. His vocals are stronger and have more rasp. Axl and the band were a circus in 2002 ( I was embarrassed to admit I was a GNR fan). Axl of 2006 is like a completely different person compared to 2002 and we should be thankful for that. If you think that 2002 MSG was a great show then I guess you never saw the original band and don't know much about Live rock shows .

2006 GNR = Axl is awesome ( rest of the band has improved)

2002 GNR = absolute joke and embarrassment and should be erased from history

Kaneda go eat shit and shut the fuck up already .

Yeh adding more new songs might not be such a good idea without an album. It would be good for most of us that visit the forum but alot of the fans that go to the shows wouldn't have herd the new tracks and they would prefer to here all the gnr classics. It's a good setlist, would like to here more songs from UYI though. Btw when are they coming to Australia ?

Obviously I wasn't at last night's show. Just weighing in here about 2002. I think those performances definitely had their bright spots. Three key ones to me are:

a) There was more mystery surrounding the band because it was a brand new entity and nobody knew what to expect - to me this made the whole thing a bit more interesting.

B) BBF definitely has more stage presence than BH, but BH's playing was truly magical. If you couldn't be captivated by his solos (especially Nightrain) then I wonder just how much you actually dig the guitar (not directed at you madison). He was far from just being a shredder. Honestly, he trumps what the new band does guitar wise and often even Slash as well. And this coming from a big Slash supporter.

c) Axl's voice - yeah, overall it is better this year for sure. But there were some songs that his 2002 voice was just great on. I prefer how he sang The Blues for example (I prefer the way the band played it too). Often times I think his voice was more powerful back then, the only problem was when it had that helium sound which unfortunately happened often.

Edited by KBear

I am talking about the 2002 MSG show to the 2006 MSG show, moron. And by the way, Axl was running around a lot more in 2002...and the crowd was much more into it then.

2002 looked like a freakin' circus act, not a band. No matter how good of a player Buckethead is he did NOT fit in this band.

Where I was on the floor the crowd was GREAT. Not sure what show YOU were at.