Does this band really need 3 guitar players????

rockstar81

nope so we should get rid of the wrost one for the worst always brings the band down...so lets say bye to Finck

They already did get rid of the worst one... Buckethead.

Thank goodness.

Oh, triplea said something about the new stuff needing three... this is very true... listen to TWAT... closely... definitely three guitars layered on that one (not counting bass, of course).

Right on! With Bucketface gone this band has been able to be accepted is a fucking awesome rock band.

my god you two are idiots. buckethead was the best thing to happen to NewGnR. too bad he left <_<

Look, I appreciate what Buckethead has brought to the leaks so far, but he has no presense on stage and there is nothing he has played which BBF can't play better.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No band needs 3 guitarists, period. This is just Axl flexing his muscles and trying to be grander than everyone else( see the illusions tour ). It looks really silly on stage and it's hard to keep up with what they are all doing. It's funny seeing a band use 3 guitarist to play November Rain . I guess it doesn't really matter anyway since everybody is just watching Axl and not paying attention to these guys.

i think the one of the main reasons why GnR has 3 guitarist is this below, and I can see why because it plays to the strengths of each of the players.

Robin - solos for new songs .. if you observe closely, he plays in most of the solos in the CD songs ..

Fortus - he nails the solos in AFD and UYI songs .. he's good at this

Ron - he provides rythm guitars when the above 2 perform solos .. and sometimes puts more metal/aggresive solo rendition of the old song ...

there you go ..

nope so we should get rid of the wrost one for the worst always brings the band down...so lets say bye to Finck

Thank goodness.

Oh, triplea said something about the new stuff needing three... this is very true... listen to TWAT... closely... definitely three guitars layered on that one (not counting bass, of course).

Right on! With Bucketface gone this band has been able to be accepted is a fucking awesome rock band.

my god you two are idiots. buckethead was the best thing to happen to NewGnR. too bad he left <_<

Look, I appreciate what Buckethead has brought to the leaks so far, but he has no presense on stage and there is nothing he has played which BBF can't play better.

Rubbish and rubbish.

I don't think they need 3 guitarists really. They could ditch Finck and do just fine. Wish they would.

I went to a newGN'R show and honnestly I think they don't need 3 players. 2 are enough. I will go with the Fiink/Fortus duet (no disrespect to bbf).

With 2 guitar players, there would be more chemistry between them, it would work as a duet, the sound would be clearer (you would hear clearly each players), there would be less long solos etc...

It doesn't matter. They HAVE 3 guitarists and it sounds great. Apparently Axl feels he needs them for what he's doing so who the fuck are you to say he's wrong? It doesn't matter what you think. It matters how the situation is now? Does it sound good? Yes. So shut the hell up about it.

Man I'm really getting sick and tired of all the negativity lately. Pointless whinefest!

Agreed... there are a lot of know-it-all rockstars apparently that frequent the forum that know more about a rock band than Axl Rose or GNR. Whether or not you like 3 guitarist is up to your own personal mind. Don't come on here and tell folks they should only have two... or BH is better than BBF. That's one persons opinion.

My opinion is in what I've heard from the new stuff, most of the songs have three layers of guitars... especially TWAT all throughout. W/O three players on stage, they wouldn't be able to pull off that same sound and I'm sure it will be evident when the CD is finally released and we hear more material and final mixes. Honestly, TWAT is just so amazing on so many levels. I just listened to that song pumped way up just listening to the guitars and every time I listen to it, I notice something new about it... like a hidden layer. I'm stoked to hear the album based on this one song alone.

The whole arguement about BH or BBF is also personal opinion. They're both amazing guitar players and it's hard to say who's better than who... in fact, you can't say it.

What can be argued perhaps is the fact I haven't heard a mention of GNR being a 'circus act' this time around in the media, or with the general public. When BH was in the band, it was a laughing stock outside of the hardcore GNR community for the most part. That's a fact. I tried to get my casual GNR fans to like the band or appreciate them, but they couldn't get past the idiot with a KFC bucket on his head on the stage. Call it ignorance or whatever, I have to agree with them. If the man would have only taken off his mask and ditched the whole 'hand-puppet-raised-by-chicken' bit, which is a gimmick taken to the extreme leaving one to question the man's mental state.

Like it or not, looks go a long way in the business of rock n' roll with the majority of fans. You can put a 120 'Steve Irkel' look alike up on stage or a woman that looks like Hillary Clinton that could outplay Ron or BH any day and the public won't give a rats ass about ability. It would be a laughing stock... just like if you put a guy up on stage in a hockey mask, raincoat and a KFC bucket on his head surrounded by hand puppets decorating his amps.

Edited by Matt13

It doesn't matter. They HAVE 3 guitarists and it sounds great. Apparently Axl feels he needs them for what he's doing so who the fuck are you to say he's wrong? It doesn't matter what you think. It matters how the situation is now? Does it sound good? Yes. So shut the hell up about it.

Man I'm really getting sick and tired of all the negativity lately. Pointless whinefest!

What can be argued perhaps is the fact I haven't heard a mention of GNR being a 'circus act' this time around in the media, or with the general public. When BH was in the band, it was a laughing stock outside of the hardcore GNR community for the most part. That's a fact. I tried to get my casual GNR fans to like the band or appreciate them, but they couldn't get past the idiot with a KFC bucket on his head on the stage. Call it ignorance or whatever, I have to agree with them. If the man would have only taken off his mask and ditched the whole 'hand-puppet-raised-by-chicken' bit, which is a gimmick taken to the extreme leaving one to question the man's mental state.

Like it or not, looks go a long way in the business of rock n' roll with the majority of fans. You can put a 120 'Steve Irkel' look alike up on stage or a woman that looks like Hillary Clinton that could outplay Ron or BH any day and the public won't give a rats ass about ability. It would be a laughing stock... just like if you put a guy up on stage in a hockey mask, raincoat and a KFC bucket on his head surrounded by hand puppets decorating his amps.

There we go. Nice to see that someone can face the reality in all this. I agree so much with what Matt13 mentions about BH.

Thank goodness.

Yes because as we all know, image and popularity is much more important than artistic integrity.

I love how everyone thinks three guitarists is somehow a bad thing just because most other bands have one or two. Three guitarists makes GnR better, not worse.

oh and to the guy who started this thread, is every post you make anti Bucket/Thal?

Seriously, you're doing my fucking head in. Every thread you start is about only needing 2 guitar players and you always say Finck and Fortus. Wake up and smell the virtuoso pwnage, cockface.

Edited by PurpleHaze

Actually, Dizzy and Pittman usually synth in extra guitar. So yeah, it's necessary.

So there could potentially be 4 fucking guitars going? That's never necessary, I'd be down with Finck and Fortus, Bumble must go.

Why? Bumble's more talented than either of them. I think three guitars is fine, no one complains at maiden for a three guitar attack, i think it's effective as each adds their own dynamic to the sound. Guns only needs two guitars but three makes them shine.

I just hate Bumblefoots style, he's one of those mindless freakout shredder types and has no taste or ear for development or anything. I like Finck because he's got soul even though he fucks up sometimes, and Fortus is just a really solid rock gutiarist. I'd say those two guitarists, and get rid of Dizzy and keep Pitman, this band would be a lot better off.

Hmm Bumblefoot's saving grace is the diversity of styles he can play in. Shred isn't mindless, it's the most difficult style of lead guitar to master. People who call it "Mindless" are just jealous because they can't shred so they put it down. Ron's admired by Joe Satriani..... got to count for something.

I can play fast but I wouldn't say I can shred, but I could learn if I want. I just choose not to, because its lame and serves no purpose other than "hey, look what I can do!!!" Its not about how many notes you can play in a short amount of time, its what you're saying with the notes. I couldn't be less jealous of shred guitarists, honestly. In fact I kind of pity them, I feel like they're missing out on what music is about.

Very true. Personally I see shredding as similar to weight lifting or typing-anyone can become good at it with enough practice. There is no substitute for a good ear and feel for music.

On topic though, I think 3 guitars is pretty pointless, especially since there are usually 2 rhythm guitars basically playing the same parts with very little variation.

Having said that, if the arrangements for CD songs are as complex as Axl has intimated, 3 guitars may be useful for those songs.

Thank goodness.

I disagree with that last part, I think BH>BBF. That's no slam on Thal, he's an awesome player. But whatever. I'm not crying over BH because the simple fact of the matter is that he didn't want to stay. I will say however that he had stage presence. His guitar playing was stage presence. I mean, if you are a fan of great guitar work then you should be pretty satisfied listening to BH live, jmo.

Guess the people that can't get by his look (which sorry, is not equivalent to a bunch of Steve Urkels or Hilary Clintons) are pretty damn lucky, cuz if Axl had his way BH would have been back in the band. Axl asked him back, and as you guys like to point out, Axl knows what he's doing.

Yeah, honestly I think it adds to the sound's depth. You've got the bluesy guy (Finck), the one who kicks ass (Fortus) and then there are the virtue solos by Bumblefoot. I mean, sounds good to me. Why change the combination that works.

huhu0dm.jpg

Yeah, why change a combination that works?

Nice! rock1 :(

Personally I prefer just two players a lead and rythym , but 3 is not a bad thing , like I've said it gives the group a really full sound , If anything Pittman is unnessecary , really I think his purpouse is not really that important .

Peace GnR Nation :shades:

Yeah, honestly I think it adds to the sound's depth. You've got the bluesy guy (Finck), the one who kicks ass (Fortus) and then there are the virtue solos by Bumblefoot. I mean, sounds good to me. Why change the combination that works.

huhu0dm.jpg

Obviously didn't work that well, otherwise they'd be working together still in one capacity.

huhu0dm.jpg

Obviously didn't work that well, otherwise they'd be working together still in one capacity.

Obviously 3 can't work that well either, as they can't even release an album.

huhu0dm.jpg

One's been in the band for about 6 months...

Plus: Iron Maiden.

I went to a newGN'R show and honnestly I think they don't need 3 players. 2 are enough. I will go with the Fiink/Fortus duet (no disrespect to bbf).

With 2 guitar players, there would be more chemistry between them, it would work as a duet, the sound would be clearer (you would hear clearly each players), there would be less long solos etc...

Circus Act? Yea, because a guitarist who has cred who yes is a little strang cause GnR to be a freak show. I knew who buckethead was and knew he was good, the whole band looked like a frean show.

Axl-looked like he was botoxed up the ass with his jersey looked and cornrolls

Buckethead-enough said

Finck-looked like some transvestit

and the rest of the band looked like a punk band

To me Finck looked like a fag overall, that whole transy look made me wanna shoot him

huhu0dm.jpg

According to a couple people here, they've had 3 almost sence slash left...

also, those 2 never spent 12 million on one cd....

huhu0dm.jpg

Bucket was in the band for 4 years... Plenty of time.

Thats Iron Maiden, this is Guns N' Roses.

i wouldn't miss robin one bit, ron and fortus crush him in every aspect, ESPECIALLY songwriting.

Piss off...'Better' is one of the best new songs and Robin wrote that. The material hasnt been released yet and always already got one winner.

Hes had no solo project because Chinese Democracy is it. Its what hes been working on for 9 years. I think from what weve heard Robins has oodles of talent already.