Best show GN'R ever played?

angelo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you ask me, I thought that the Ritz '88 show was perfect. The band were really on top form that night, and every song sounded awesome.

What's your personal favourite?

Does anyone have video of this show? I can't find it anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...p;search=Search

I found a few videos on YouTube, but that's all I could find.

02.02.88 - The Ritz, New York, NY

set: It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Out Ta Get Me, Sweet Child O' Mine, My Michelle, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Welcome To The Jungle, Nightrain, Paradise City, Mama Kin, Rocket Queen

audio/video recording : video [pro-shot], audio

notes: This show was an MTV special, also broadcast on many FM stations. GN'R were on the same bill as Great White. A full video feed of this exists. Slash stage dives after 'Rocket Queen!'

source : gnrontour.com

Outta the two shows i saw, Glasgow was the best, I also believe it to be the best crowd GnR has played to since the old days. And just because it's a gig with the new guys does NOT mean for one minute that it couldn't be the best GnR show ever. I think the Ritz 88 is overrated as the "Perfect" GnR show, I love it all the same, i just think that Axl fucked up Rocket Queen by not singing half the words, and Paradise City really did not sound like the powerful blast of energy it usually does, plus Slash's guitar was slightly outta tune during the SCOM intro.... I know, I'm being a nit-picking bastard aren't i? :P but just pointing out the imperfections if you will allow me! The attitude was there allright, buckets of it, just sometimes the music lacked a little consistency. Glasgow was the best crowd i've ever seen and the band fed off that, therefore making it one hell of a show. All I've gotta say.

Edited by Graeme

I´m not tooo sure actually.

I don´t know why everbody finds ritz 88 so great. OK i know why, the band has it´s afd-lineup, the still have the cool-as-fuck street attitude, it´s all how it schould be. But then again , the setlist isn´t that great, and axl missing at the end of rocket queen really destroys a nearly perfect performance.

I sometimes get the feeling although Rotz 88 was great, it was more of a weaker show of that decade, hell don´t cry wasn´t even played (very sad). I thin a full pro shot of the marquee 87 for example would kick ritz´ass.

For me two other great shows are chicago 92 and Argentinia 93.

Although the 92 gunners shows seemed a bit too "perfect" for me, they really were great, and chicago for sure has the best rants i ever heard, and it has coma. Enough said.

Argenitinia 93 is just cool because of the acoustic section and the general mood. It all seems like much fun, and the whole show is less bloated and more kind of laid back than the year before.

BTW: In the uncensored Garaffa version of Argentinia you can see Axl ans Slash hugging after the show, they really looked like two good friend who are happy to be on stage together. Makes you wonder what happened.....

Further BTW: Novarock was agreat concert too, but i don´t want to include it in the above, cause i was there myself. and you can´t compare a show you were at with other shows.

Pre AFD: 01.18.86 - The Roxy, Hollywood, CA

AFD Era: 02.02.88 - The Ritz, New York, NY

Illusion's Era: 06.06.92 - Hippodrome De Vincennes, Paris, France

New GN'R 2002: 12.05.02 - Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

New GN'R 2006: 11.02.06 - Greensboro Collesium, Greensboro, NC [i was there so I'm a little biased]