Beethoven took roughly 20 years to the write the 9th

brizobst

Axl Rose is not Beethoven, and Chinese Democracy is not the ninth symphony.

Most great rock records - AFD, Dark Side of the Moon, Exile on Main Street, The White Album, Pet Sounds, etc. - weren't labored over for twenty years.

Brian Wilson tried for perfection with the Beach Boys after Pet Sounds, too, and look what happened: a forty year wait for an album that didn't get recorded until 2004. And was it as good as Pet Sounds?

No. Not even close.

Edited by Estranged Reality

Brahms took about 15 years to right his first.

I'm not saying its completely the same with CD, but its not completely different either.

well, considering that beethoven was fucking deaf, i think that was pretty quick.

it is similar, though:

ludwig van was the only original member left of beethoven by the time the 9th came about..... ;)

How far off is Axl from writing a piano concerto?

He does string arrangements on Nov Rain. Is it the level of musical accomplishment that is not up there or just the amount of time.

What's the real difference between classical and rock?

NOTHING comes close to the 9th.

And nothing will EVER. It's just a completely different league.

Also: Metallica didn't write the orchestestral adaptions for their songs, it was Michael Kamen.

And: The string arrangements - for example on November Rain - are fitting, but so logical that I would not dare at all to call them masterpieces.

I'm not saying its completely the same with CD, but its not completely different either.

What in the world are you on about, Axl is no Beethoven, he is a rock star. there is no comparison to writing a bloody symphony to a song like better. stop sucking axl's balls and making excuses.

fish

Actually, Matt Sorum said something very similar to this on Behind The Music - "What are you doing man, what's taking so long...are you Wolfgang Amadeus Motzart writing a 82 piece orchestral masterpiece?" or something to that effect.

The casual observer checking the headlines on this board must be laughing even harder than I was at the title of this thread.

What's the real difference between classical and rock?

Well first off, usually in classical music, they have to record dozens of instruments and dozens more individual people, whereas GNR is 8 people, not 60 or however many, and most of the instrumentation is digially made, rather than acoustically made.

Classical symphonies (such as Beethovens 9th) are longer than a typical rock song.

So thats why it probably took Beethoven 20 years, because he was deaf, and had to literally write 60+ parts of music by himself, and the song is relatively longer than a 3 minute rock song. Axl isnt deaf, he doesnt have to meticulously write 60+ parts of music by hand, and Axl doesnt have to write 20 minute songs.

Thats a hell of a difference if you ask me.

IF the record company has rejected it, it's not because it's not awesome. It's because it's not good enough for the 13 years of work put into it.

Crack is bad.

If it's awsome, it would be as close to being worth the wait as you can get.

Crack is bad.

A8R

Axl and Ludwig, different ballparks: 'this I know'.

As for the deafness, LvB showed signs by symphony 2 and was probably completely deaf by Eroica (the 3rd) but he was still very prolific. Also Brahms wasn't deaf but he still struggled (being in LvB's shadow).

The comparison I'm drawing is two egos struggling with themselves to get something nearly perfect (by their own standard). If the result is something timelesss, musically 'significant' or not, what difference does a couple decades make?

Fact on the side: the length of the compact disc was determined by the length of Beehoven 9.

:o I'm sure you have never listened to 9th symphony or other classic masterpiece. If you had you wouldn't make such a parallelism.

There are thousands of rock bands and thousands music cds and new ones appear every single day.

But there has been only one Beethoven for more than 2 hundred years. So think before you post craps like this.