Sebastian Bach Interview

Rainman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, what is he going to say?! He owes Axl SO MUCH right now, I really doubt he would have said he'd rather hear Slash and Duff play than Axl sing! :rofl-lol: I bet if he did, he'd be where EODM are right now.

Even if he didn't owe Axl anything, about 99% of GNR fans would agree with that statement. You're the 1% that probably doesn't. So don't create excuses for the man, he speaks the truth.

Sad, but true.

99%? Based on what scientific or factual evidence? Sorry but numbers spurting out of your ass like diarrhea don't count.

You're telling me that your average GNR fan would rather listen to Slash & Duff do classic GNR songs with Weiland on vocals or listen to Axl Rose with any backing band sing classic GNR tunes?

Yep, you're smoking crack. Let's start a poll! 99% might be a stretch, but I bet it would be in the 90's:)

On those who say the 2006 version of GUNS N' ROSES isn't the real thing:

"You know, you've got Slash and Duff doing STONE TEMPLE PILOTS songs with Weiland (in VELVET REVOLVER). They can't do 'Welcome to the Jungle' because he can't sing it. Let's be honest. Then, you've got Axl doing 'Sweet Child o' Mine' and 'Rocket Queen' with some other dudes. I'd rather see Axl singing GUNS N' ROSES songs than Slash doing STONE TEMPLE PILOTS songs. Nobody can sing 'Paradise City' like Axl Rose."

Amen to that..Fuckin' Amen!!

Bach is fucking awsome.. rock3

LOL, what is he going to say?! He owes Axl SO MUCH right now, I really doubt he would have said he'd rather hear Slash and Duff play than Axl sing! :rofl-lol: I bet if he did, he'd be where EODM are right now.

Even if he didn't owe Axl anything, about 99% of GNR fans would agree with that statement. You're the 1% that probably doesn't. So don't create excuses for the man, he speaks the truth.

Sad, but true.

99%? Based on what scientific or factual evidence? Sorry but numbers spurting out of your ass like diarrhea don't count.

You're telling me that your average GNR fan would rather listen to Slash & Duff do classic GNR songs with Weiland on vocals or listen to Axl Rose with any backing band sing classic GNR tunes?

Yep, you're smoking crack. Let's start a poll! 99% might be a stretch, but I bet it would be in the 90's:)

Let´s look at it this way. If it is about the music(which it should be) and we would have two recordings of a GnR song, one with current GnR and one with VR and then let GnR fans judge which one they prefer, I don´t think 99% would be a strech. But now people are pissed at Axl and in some strange way their anger somehow affect their taste of music, so it would probably be about 85-90% ;)

Bach rules but I would want to ask him "Could you see Axl on Supergroup?" That would never happen in my book. In fact I wouldn't let it. Axl wouldn't need Oakland for death threats. I'd be like Sam Fisher ninja style on him. I would sacrifice my life for the good of rock n roll. I'm joking just in case any think I would do that. But Axl on Supergroup? I'd laff hard and long. Talk about late.

Sebastian Bach is an idiot. He was pissed off because he had to play before the Eagles of Death Metal... so he went to Axl talking shit about them...

Bach's ego is getting Axl in trouble.

And you know that because you were there and saw it al :rolleyes:

Back looks like a very cool dude rock3

I'd rather see Axl singing GUNS N' ROSES songs than Slash doing STONE TEMPLE PILOTS songs. Nobody can sing 'Paradise City' like Axl Rose

And I would rather see Slash playing Guns N Roses tunes then Bumblefoot playing Christina Aguliera songs at a (Nu)GNR concert.

When I seen VR I loved the STP songs they are done very well.

SEBASTIAN BACH INTERVIEW

“I THANK GOD FOR AXL ROSE FOR BRINGING ME ON TOUR!”

If glam metal has a Renaissance man, there's no doubt it's Sebastian Bach. As the frontman for the '90s hair-metal act Skid Row, he sold over twenty million records (and probably went through just as many cans of hairspray). However, when his peers cut their hair short and bought flannel shirts to try to remain relevant, Bach reinvented himself as a Broadway performer, television personality and, most recently, honorary Gilmore Girl. We caught up with Bach in Toronto while he was on tour with Guns N' Roses — although his St. Louis date is a solo show — and talked with him about his past, his future and what he's most thankful for this Turkey day. (Hint: It has cornrows.)

Jonah Bayer: First off, I wanted to tell you that my first show ever was seeing Skid Row open for Guns N' Roses on the "Use Your Illusion" tour.

Sebastian Bach: Yeah! [Laughs] Now we're coming again to rock you, dude.

Do you remember that tour pretty well?

Yup, I sure do. I just can't believe that I'm on the road with Axl again fifteen years later. That's really crazy.

How is it different this time around?

It actually feels a lot more the same. There's a lot more similarities to talk about than differences, because there's nothing like music that transports you to where you were when you first heard it. So when I'm in a big arena like I was last night in Baltimore, and there's thousands of people in front of me, and I'm singing "18 & Life," the only difference is that in 1991 people held up lighters and in 2006 they hold up cell phones.

How do you think the music industry has changed in the past fifteen years?

Well, the Internet has obviously been the biggest change. Back in '91 the first Skid Row album sold over ten million copies worldwide, and with Slave to the Grind we sold over seven million worldwide — and nobody now sells that many records. How people get their music now is completely different; people don't go into a store and buy CDs anymore. I've got a brand-new song called "Body Inside" that I started doing when we started playing with GNR in Europe, and it's got over 40,000 plays and it's not even out on any record. So people already know my new songs that are on my forthcoming album because of the Internet.

I heard you're also doing "My Michelle" with GNR on this tour. Is that fun for you?

It is fun, but it's also challenging vocally to do my whole set and then wait through Papa Roach and then come out at the end and scream at the top of my lungs again. [Laughs. ]

Obviously, you've been very involved in theater in the past decade. What's the biggest difference between performing at a rock show and a Broadway show?

Well, in rock & roll I am in control of my stage, and in Broadway the director or the producer have control. Like when I'm doing Andrew Lloyd Webber's Jesus Christ Superstar, it's Andrew Lloyd Webber's thing, it's not Sebastian Bach's thing, you know? So that got kind of old for me, because I'm used to being in control. I love rock & roll. I love theater, too, but I've just had my fill of that for right now.

What's starring on Gilmore Girls like? I'd imagine that a lot of the younger viewers probably have never heard of Skid Row.

Yeah, well, I get noticed a lot for the Gilmore Girls. Walking down the street, little girls will say, "Are you that guy?" And I'm thinking they're saying, "Are you the guy from Skid Row?" and they're not — they're saying, "Are you that guy from the Gilmore Girls?" I think I get noticed more now because of that show.

Honestly, between Supergroup and all your other appearances, it's really difficult to keep track of everything you've been up to in the past few years.

[Laughs] Yeah, that's good. I like that. Well, dude, all that TV and acting stuff I do enjoy, but rock & roll is my first love by far, so right now I'm concentrating on that. I'll definitely do more TV in the future — I'm doing another episode of the Gilmore Girls next week, actually — but rock & roll is where my heart is.

You have a solo record coming out next year. Was it hard to find the time to record that will your schedule?

Yeah, we actually recorded it when we were on the European Guns N' Roses tour, and then we went to LA for three weeks and recorded, and then we went right back on tour. It's not totally finished yet, musically it is and vocally it's probably at about 95 percent. I just have a little more work to do on it.

How would you describe the way it sounds?

It sounds new. I always try to make something that sounds different, but I also want you to be able to put it in your iPod and have it make sense with all the other stuff I've put out — except for the Last Hard Men [bach's supergroup featuring members of the Breeders, Smashing Pumpkins and the Frogs], because that doesn't make sense at all. [Laughs.]

Is your set on this tour mostly hits from Skid Row, or are you doing a lot of solo stuff?

Yes and yes. [it's weird] when people ask me if I'm doing Skid Row songs, because it's almost like people are saying you're the first person to do your own songs. Ozzy Osbourne plays "Paranoid" every night and nobody ever says, "Are you going to do 'Paranoid?'" Yeah, he is. Well, Sebastian Bach does "Youth Gone Wild"; that's how he works.

Do you still like playing those old Skid Row songs live?

Yeah, I sold twenty million records; I'm not going to not do those songs. [Laughs] What the fuck would that be? That would suck.

I guess it just seems a little strange because the other members of Skid Row are out there playing those songs right now, too.

But you're acting like this is the first time this has happened in music. Every single band you can think of has gone through this. David Lee Roth plays "Running with the Devil" and so does Eddie Van Halen; Tony Iommi plays Black Sabbath songs and so does Ozzy. I'm not the first guy in rock to have a solo career.

Understood. Well, Thanksgiving's right around the corner: What is Sebastian Bach most thankful for this year?

I thank God for Axl Rose for bringing me on tour. Welcome to the jungle of the youth gone wild; we're gonna tear it up. Rock & roll is back, mother trucker — that's what I want to say.

Article at: http://music.riverfronttimes.com/issues/20...ic/music_1.html

Another Sebastian interview: VELVET REVOLVER Can't Do 'Welcome To The Jungle' Because WEILAND Can't Sing It

Ross Raihala of TwinCities.com recently conducted an interview with former SKID ROW frontman Sebastian Bach. A few excerpts from the chat follows:

On what it's like to be back playing arenas:

"It was the most amazing thing for Axl to ask my band to join the tour. It's something I've waited for for a long time. I get offers to do those package tours, the nostalgia-oriented ones, but I always say no. But GUNS N' ROSES, that one I'll do. I'm very, very lucky. There's a lot of firsts on this tour for me. We got to play a sold-out Madison Square Garden. There have been a lot of places I've never played before, and for an old guy like me, it's great."

On what Axl's like behind the scenes:

"He likes to laugh. He likes to joke around, like, a lot. And he's got the most unique voice I've ever heard. His speaking voice is this low baritone, Clint Eastwood kind of a voice. And then when he laughs, it's like a boy soprano's highest note that comes out. You know, he's singing better than ever now, and that's a fact. That's one thing about Axl people forget. He is one of the best rock 'n' roll singers that ever lived."

On the sometimes long wait from his solo set to "My Michelle":

"Well, I've been on the road since June. And, you know, that whole 'My Michelle' thing is great. I sing my own stuff, then wait two or three hours and jump up there and scream even harder. I've been doing that every day. It's good work if you can get it. The one thing I've learned about myself — and I learned this when I did 'Jesus Christ Superstar' — is that my voice is probably the strongest part about me. It's the rest of me that gets tired. My legs and my eyeballs and my arms and my brain. But my pipes are fine."

On his appearance on "SuperGroup":

"My favorite part of it was when I tell the powers that be to f— off. I just love that. And when they brought that stylist in, I'm, like, 'No, I'm not cutting my hair.' They tell me she cut Jennifer Lopez's hair. Dude, Sebastian Bach has cooler hair than Jennifer Lopez. I look at music as a form of self-expression. I don't need a stylist. Why doesn't she have her own band if she's such an expert? Whatever. My father was a famous painter, and as a little boy, I watched him wake up every day, get his paintbrush and paint all day. He did that 'til the day he died. My microphone is my paintbrush. That's what I do."

On getting the call to star in "Jekyll and Hyde" on Broadway:

"I was, like, 'Do you have the right phone number? Why are you calling me?' They sent the script, and I was on the road with my solo band playing some f——— dump. I was looking around at this club and thinking, hmmm, Broadway or this place? Honestly, though, I didn't think I could do it. The script is so thick, it's like 300 pages or some s—. It's all in old English, and there were these words I'd never heard before in my life. There's 17 songs, and I'm in every scene. But I had a lot of encouragement from people. And I loved doing it. It really was the highlight of my life."

On those who say the 2006 version of GUNS N' ROSES isn't the real thing:

"You know, you've got Slash and Duff doing STONE TEMPLE PILOTS songs with Weiland (in VELVET REVOLVER). They can't do 'Welcome to the Jungle' because he can't sing it. Let's be honest. Then, you've got Axl doing 'Sweet Child o' Mine' and 'Rocket Queen' with some other dudes. I'd rather see Axl singing GUNS N' ROSES songs than Slash doing STONE TEMPLE PILOTS songs. Nobody can sing 'Paradise City' like Axl Rose."

To ALL you fuckers that like to talk shit about Baz.... well... Go eat a dry piece of shit, and smile ... ya fuckin cock faces! That mutha fucker rocks (and has the pipes of a fuckin god)!!... and you know it!! HA!

Sebastian Bach is a dumb idiot!

Go spoon out your asshole and eat it! He's on tour with GnR, and your not!

is wife is hot.

::nods quietly in respect::

And I would rather see Slash playing Guns N Roses tunes then Bumblefoot playing Christina Aguliera songs at a (Nu)GNR concert.

When I seen VR I loved the STP songs they are done very well.

1 - if you're going to bash the new line-up, which is Guns N' Roses, get you're shit straight. bumblefoot does NOT play "beautiful"

2 - when my band does STP songs they're done very well. because they're easy. great songs, but there's nothing technically (especially on vocals) challenging about them. i'm not saying to be good something has to be hard, but it was apparent before VR existed that slash could play the parts convincingly whereas scott just can't sing most GNR songs (i liked him doing "mr. brownstone" and they did "it's so easy" if i'm not mistaken).

i agree that i'd rather see axl perform gnr than slash and co. perform STP, but what i'd really love to see is each playing some new shit. VR played most of contraband when i saw them so as far as this goes i'll give them the upper hand. once CD drops, we'll see who's who and what's what.

as far as baz goes, i love him... he put on a great show when i saw him and his voice sounds GREAT. his personality is a bit much at times and i wish he would say 'fucker' instead of 'trucker' on TV and in print, even if it's gonna be censored, but that's a tiny flaw.

And why does everybody bash everybody?. We can´t have the same taste or agree in all the things but why can´t people say what they think/like without ressorting to insults and lacks of respect?.It seems like you have to bash everybody in the GNR camp :monkey:

Edited by November_rain