No Reaction To This Bit About Money Problems?

D-GenerationX

Axl had no funding for this album, that was made public a while back when the record label pulled the plug.

This has been a general consensus around here for a while-that the tour was a cash grab...which, as it now appears, was a correct assumption...Now, if the album really does come out in march and the tour was to fund it, ok...

I guess here is what I don't get.

Where are the expenses for this album really? I mean, it seems they book studio time rather infrequently. I know that does cost you by the hour. And, by not showing up, you are just pissing money away.

But how much are we talking about here?

Where are the expenses for this album really?

He has a huge payroll to meet every month. He has been paying people like Finck, Dizzy and Tommy every month for 9 years now with no way to recoup their salaries, not to mention the other band members who have filtered in and out for the past 9 years. Throw in all of the studio time and other costs, and it gets astronomical.

He has a huge payroll to meet every month. He has been paying people like Finck, Dizzy and Tommy every month for 9 years now with no way to recoup their salaries, not to mention the other band members who have filtered in and out for the past 9 years. Throw in all of the studio time and other costs, and it gets astronomical.

Yeah, that's a good point.

So are we to the point that if this album really flops, he is looking at serious financial hardship??

I'm surprised there is no reaction to Merck basically saying they had to tour to get some cash and that raising money for this project is a full time job.

I'm kind of surprised by that.

Raising money for any album is a full time job. The same applies with any artistic project, particularly one 13 years in the making.

I'm surprised there is no reaction to Merck basically saying they had to tour to get some cash and that raising money for this project is a full time job.

I'm kind of surprised by that.

Raising money for any album is a full time job. The same applies with any artistic project, particularly one 13 years in the making.

Makes you wonder if maybe they did not do anything from 2003-2005 out of necessity more than anything.

Wow.

With all the money that has "supposedly" been spent on the album, wouldn't it have been cheaper just to buy and setup your own home recording studio?

I mean thats what I did, and it worked wonders... ;)

A4A: That 13 million wasnt just for the album. You have to consider the new boat Axl bought, that Island just off the South of France and numorous shares in VW. :)

Edited by Charles Manson

I guess here is what I don't get.

Where are the expenses for this album really? I mean, it seems they book studio time rather infrequently. I know that does cost you by the hour. And, by not showing up, you are just pissing money away.

But how much are we talking about here?

When you book studio time you pay for it. Merck stated that several sessions in NY was booked but Axl failed to appear (due to a rough touring schedule.) He implies that if Axl did succesfully complete these session that the album would have been out by Dec 06'.

That being said, it appears that Axl will try to make up for these dates in January with the targeted release date of March.

since when were real fucking band members on a payroll? real bands like u2 for instance does bono pay the edge adam and the other guy salaries? no they make music together and split the royalties 4 ways equally and look how fucking huge they became, shame axl couldnt have followed the same route instead of thinking hes the most important fucker in the band this aint a band its axl and his hired friends

since when were real fucking band members on a payroll? real bands like u2 for instance does bono pay the edge adam and the other guy salaries? no they make music together and split the royalties 4 ways equally and look how fucking huge they became, shame axl couldnt have followed the same route instead of thinking hes the most important fucker in the band this aint a band its axl and his hired friends

Well where else are the other guys gonna earn money? They are on a payroll to keep them in the band. Once the album is out (and the label paid back) they will begin to earn royalties etc. Until that time they don't have any GNR income other than payroll.

Well where else are the other guys gonna earn money? They are on a payroll to keep them in the band. Once the album is out (and the label paid back) they will begin to earn royalties etc. Until that time they don't have any GNR income other than payroll.

People are saying payroll like it's a BAD thing.

It simply means they are getting paid. Which they should be! They are working and playing shows and do not have an album out to gain royalties off of. This isn't charity work! Even musicians want to get paid, what is the problem???????

Where are people reading this?

"I know I sleep well at night in the knowledge that when Chinese Democracy hits the streets in March that it is in large part down to my efforts over the last almost 5 years. I found the money and the motivation to keep Axl and the band alive and get the record made when everyone else had given up and walked away."

That doesn't necessarily mean the tour. It could just as easily mean the publishing rights deal - even more likely since Axl would be getting MUCH more money from that deal than the tour. Merck was key to that deal as he was still at Santuary and likely negotiated it. Any manager can put together a tour.

i was thinking, how are these guys, including Axl getting paid? Its not coming out of his pocket/bank account. Universal must be footing the bill and basically they are paid back from the concerts and eventually from the album itself. Although Axl still has to be a multi-millionaire i wouold think even he would have gone broke without corporate support..

Where are people reading this?

"I know I sleep well at night in the knowledge that when Chinese Democracy hits the streets in March that it is in large part down to my efforts over the last almost 5 years. I found the money and the motivation to keep Axl and the band alive and get the record made when everyone else had given up and walked away."

That doesn't necessarily mean the tour. It could just as easily mean the publishing rights deal - even more likely since Axl would be getting MUCH more money from that deal than the tour. Merck was key to that deal as he was still at Santuary and likely negotiated it. Any manager can put together a tour.

He did state in the letter that the tour funded the record if you re-read it you will see. But ultimately I do not see this as a negative thing because countless people have gotten to see the band, many of them who were too young to have seen them previously. They got mostly positive reviews and are now back in the public eye to a degree. All good things as far as I am concerned.

Axl cancelled the rest of the tour to get the album done even though they lose alot of money by doing so. I don't blame him for the whole keeping it a secret so fans still buy tickets. Touring was just a hoop that the band had to jump through for their company. Obviously by this letter you can tell Axl did not want to tour, he wanted to finish the album. It must be hard for him to perform on tour like he did when his heart wasn't in to it, playin in front of half empty venues.

Lets hope now he can hit that studio and get this shit done.

Like I said in another thread. I don't mind paying to see the band 3 times this year, I got my money's worth but to string fans along with hopes of an album for the purpose of selling concet tickets is not cool.