Good job Merk -

Guest Apollo

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it...atleast he got Axl off his manic depressive ass to tour and work on Chinese Democracy. And if Merck really sucked, don't you think Axl would have fired him earlier? Merck succeeded where Doug Goldstien failed. If he was a crap manager, he wouldn't be one of the top execs at Sanctuary, manager of Iron Maiden, etc.

Axl has bad interpersonal realtionships with people. Just look at all the people in his past. Just wait until Tommy Stinson starts doing interviews about how his life was a nightmare while in GNR.

Merck was never the manager of Iron Maiden, that has always been Rod. Merck works for Rod.

He did the best job he could. It ain't his fault that Axl couldn't find his muse on time. That's not a shot at Axl, it's just the situation. I think it's fucking stupid how everyone is trying to shift these months of frustration solely on Merck. If you had fuckin' Doc Mcgee in there working with Ax all these years, do you think we would have the album by now? No fuckin' way, Joe.

Let's face it...atleast he got Axl off his manic depressive ass to tour and work on Chinese Democracy. And if Merck really sucked, don't you think Axl would have fired him earlier? Merck succeeded where Doug Goldstien failed. If he was a crap manager, he wouldn't be one of the top execs at Sanctuary, manager of Iron Maiden, etc.

Axl has bad interpersonal realtionships with people. Just look at all the people in his past. Just wait until Tommy Stinson starts doing interviews about how his life was a nightmare while in GNR.

?

I don't think Merck was the best manager GNR's ever had (Doug Goldstein seems to have been the best fit for the band), but I don't hate the guy. It's possible the band/Axl just needs someone with a different managerial style. Not every manager clicks for every group; and not every manager continues to click when the group evolves. It just seems like both parties moved on.

Edited by stella

Merck's comment, along with a few other things he said in the letter just smack of trying to still kiss Axl's ass in the hopes of getting his job back.

He's simply trying to stay gracious to his former client(s). It's not professional to slam your previous employer. This much is true in any business. To do so sabotoges your prospects at new employment elsewhere. He's not kissing Axl's ass. If it were Hitler's World Tour and impending album the same thing would have been said. This of course is Hyperbole, but you get my drift.

Merck is a dumbass and sucked as a manager! Axl got off his own ass to make money.

"The fact that Merck would have to slam a band that has actually accomplished something is just pathetic."

How did he slam them???????

He didn't say that they sucked.

He said that he thought the new band was better.

He said, and I quote,

I believe Chinese Democracy is one of the best albums ever made, Axl Rose is one of the greatest vocalists and front men and the new Guns N' Roses (which kicks the shit out of the old) is one of the greatest bands.

If you can't recognize that as a slam then I suggest you go back to school and take some English classes. It's obviously a slam, no two ways about it. I've even added emphasis to the quote for your benefit.

I don't even really care if it was appropriate in the context of his letter (it wasn't btw). Slamming the old Guns N' Roses is just ridiculous. That band was arguably the greatest hard rock band of all time. During most of their lifespan they ruled the music world. Four incredible albums, countless numbers of great live shows, dozens of top tier songs. And now Merck (and a few clowns here) want to argue that the new band (which let's be honest has barely even achieved lift off) kicks the shit out of them? Here's my reaction --> :lol: . He's dead wrong and it's a ridiculous argument to make. For the new band to even come close to the old would take years and at least two or three album's worth of great material. And even then, it would be Axl working with a dozen other musicians and a dozen producers and composers, with millions of dollars plus access to greater technology, over 15 years vs. five guys living in the gutter who came up with AFD, and then within the span of only three or so years released three other phenomenal albums.

So to wrap, a) he most definitely slammed the old band, and B) he couldn't have been more wrong.

Sometimes I wonder just what is it you guys are fans of? 99.9% of those who call themselves GN'R fans are fans because of Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, and Steven. I don't give a crap what hatred exists between them, that band should always be put up on a pedestal by it's fans (or should I say "so-called" fans?). They've given us way more than the new band has, and probably ever will.

As for this hypocrisy you speak of, the reason Slasholes, as you call them, get upset is because people actually try to argue that Slash sucks as a guitarist. Or they deride the old band as a music producing entity. Case in point - Merck's letter. These are baseless claims. The reason Axl gets attacked is much different. It's not for his abilities as a singer/songwriter/performer (that happens, but it's infrequent - stuff like his Mighty Mouse voice). It's for his behaviour and the decisions he has made. If you can't understand why Guns fans are a little peeved at that stuff, well, I'm not gonna go through the whole story. Research what has happened the past 12 years and that might clue you in. The whole thing is bittersweet for me - I'm definitely looking forward to buying Chi Dem, no doubt it'll be a great album, but when I look back at the last 12 years it's just sad.

Edited by KBear

Kbear,

Thanks for the post, sir. I wish all people in your boat, posted thought out and well written posts like yours.

But on to your points.

I think Jessica Alba kicks the shit out of Gwen Steffani. But I still think Steffani is HOT and I'd tear her up.

I think Safeco Field kicks the shit out of Dodger Stadium. But I still love going to Dodger games, and I love the feel of it.

I think Deadwood and My Name is Earl kicks the shit out of any weekly show on TV. But I still watch Entourage and Malcom In The Middle.

I think Appetite and Illusions and Lies kick the shit out of ALL albums put out in the last 15 years. But I still listen to other band's CDS.

Good points on how all the albums were made. But I don't give a fuck about it. I don't care if Axl worked in the gutter with 4 other hungry musicians - or if he spent a month in the studio with Vanilla Ice and Shaquille O'Neal and had Kevin Federline singing back-up. All I care about is what the MUSIC sounds like!

Your points are correct on the old Guns n Roses. BUT you also have to remember . . . they broke up. For a reason. The fact that ALL the guys PISSED away what could have potentially been a career that rivaled Led Zepp in terms of importance in the HISTORY of rock and roll HAS to be a negative mark against EVERYBODY involved.

And your wrong, and it's a typical argument your side uses. Show me more than 2-3 people in this forum who have said that Slash sucks. Nobody says that he sucks as a guitar player. They make fun of him for playing with everybody from Pink to Michael Jackson to performing at Computer Tech shows. But nobody questions that he's a guitar God. WHAT you people get mad about is if anybody DARES compliments Fink or any of the new guys - you take that as an insult to the old guys (case in point, Merck's letter).

Mainly I'm just arguing that people should attack the IDEA or premise of Merck's statement. Tell us why YOU think he is wrong. Instead people just make personal attacks on him.

You at least tried to show reasons you think he is wrong. I respect that!

Well what did you expect from Merck? He is obviously agreeing with King Axl as a last chance to save his job and ass. Of course he throws in a little slam to the old GN'R as a way of showing a trong support for the new act :rolleyes:

Edited by Lukinx

Now, whos gonna be a new band manager?

Lets f'n hope there wont be additional delays, explained like - you know, we had to take time to do auditions :krider: :blink::scared::D to hire a new band manager, we have to have one, y'know...

get what im sayin?

You didn't hear? I'm the new manager, only my name is Mitch Melodius, you can call me Melo.

Okay, I won't write too much, but expect the album on February 14th, Axl wants to spread his love on the very blessed day of our Saint Hallmark.

Also, expect McFarlane to issue an Axl Rose line of figures to interchange with their HIGHLY popular and AWESOME Slash figure! Each figure will feature two lines from that HIT single "Sweet Child of Mine!"

Soo buy them all!

Also, expect a reissue of Terminator 3:Rise of the Machines, the James Cameron Cut, with Gun's second single, "I.R.S.", IN THE MOVIE! Eddie Furlong did some press in Shanghai last month and is stoked to work with Axl in the video! Cameron and Axl chatted over some tea and talked about what it was like to go on such a long hiatus! He might even direct the video! It's all crazy!

Allllso, expect a guest appearance of Izzy Stradlin on the new album and a possible addition to the band? I put the question mark to stress how awesome it is and up in the air it all is and how this is so exciting.

The online store will also have a pre-order the new album and receive a "Better" single available for download with a rare b-side of "Riyadh". That should be out by Christmas!

What else?

Oh yeah, any questions... be sure to e-mail me at melo@dodgeit.com

And about the US Second Leg Tour... there's still six months between now and then, you might just walk along the streets and hear them play!

EXCITING STUFF!!

---okay, my dream is over and I'm still staring at a half empty Red Bull and listening to "Civil War" for the fortieth time. Fuck.

Funny how it's OK for the Slasholes to continually rip and say negative things about Axl . . . but when somebody makes a bad comment about Slash/Duff, then you people come out and rip that person for being a jerk! Apparently in your minds, freedom of speech only means if they agree with you.

Ummmmmm........those of who are critical of Axhole get bashed just as much. You have no point.

Apollo:

I guess it depends on your definition of "kicks the shit out of". Call me crazy, but to me that doesn't conjure up much respect. If you say The Bills kicked the shit out of Miami (what will happen this weekend :P ) you don't expect a close 20-17 game. You expect either a rout or at least a game that the Bills dominated despite the score. The term is not flattering, it's meant to indicate the loser was dominated.

I guess we can also disagree about who's fault it was that the old band broke up. I firmly believe that it falls on Axl more than anyone else. Not to say the others weren't partially at fault, none of them were exactly saints. But most evidence I believe points to Axl's dominating and controlling personality that slowly pushed the others to leave the band. You don't just walk away from something like Guns N' Roses so easily. It must have been the toughest decision those guys ever had to make - leaving possibly the greatest hard rock band ever, with possibly the greatest front man ever. You don't make that sort of decision capriciously, I believe you make that decision when you are at your wit's end, not a moment before. Furthermore, the old guys have all expressed the desire to reunite. It's only Axl (and Izzy who just wouldn't be into it) who hasn't.

As for Slash, he is bashed constantly for his work after GN'R despite the fact that much of that material is up to his lofty standards. The old band is constantly put down - called washed up, has beens, glad the are gone, fuck them, the list goes on. And this from people who are supposed to be fans! Granted, one person was probably responsible for half of that garbage.

I've praised the new band on many occasion. I don't really see too many Slash fans having a go a BBF or Fortus. Finck does take a lot of flack but hey, the way he plays some of those old solos is just awful. I can understand why it drives people nuts, because it drove me nuts for a long time. But I've grown to accept him in the new band, because it seems like the man can write some great stuff. And some of the old solos he can play pretty well. So I see his value to the team (mainly as a writer) and I accept it. Writing great tunes is the most important thing IMO. If Finck does that better than most, then I see his importance to the band. Better than some guy who can play the hell out of the old stuff, but can't write a great riff or solo to save his life.

Anyways, you have to expect fans to be touchy when it comes to the old band. They've done it all and as such they command respect - when they don't get it fans get pissed off. The new band has a long way to go before they are in old GN'R's league. That's just a fact. They may eventually get there, I guess we'll see. It certainly won't happen before the album is out, so here's hoping Axl can hit his target.

Which NuGnR?

The one with Bucket and Brain? The one with Thal and Frank? Or the one with Tobias and Freese. :laugh:

Ouch.

You know this is coming...which old GN'R? The one with Tracii and Kries, the one with Izzy and Steven, or the one with Gilby and Matt? :rolleyes:

Which NuGnR?

The one with Bucket and Brain? The one with Thal and Frank? Or the one with Tobias and Freese. :laugh:

Ouch.

You know this is coming...which old GN'R? The one with Tracii and Kries, the one with Izzy and Steven, or the one with Gilby and Matt? :rolleyes:

burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrn.

In a business situation you don't need to put something else down in order to build something else up.

But this being GNR there's no way to sell the new band without bashing the old one.

Whether Axl agrees with Merck's comments or not I highly doubt he would approve of it. Because it comes across (again) making Axl look like the bad guy. People have been and will be sucked into this point of view (clearly including yourself).

It's not like this is Axl making a move to promote the new band. Infact he fired the manager for promising the fans something they couldn't deliver. Knowing the current situation with GN'R - If you're out, you're irrelevant. I respect Merck's statement to the fans as it was honest (partly the reason we all loved Axl in the first place) but as he is out of the picture, so is my interest in him.

What Merck did would be akin to Slash coming out and saying, "I'm so glad that Velvet Revolver was able to get Scott Weiland (who by the way, kicks the shit out of my old lead singer!)"

No one would believe him.

old band resume:

AFD

Lies

UYI

TSI

Several successful and sold out arena and stadium tours all over the world

new band resume:

2001-02 bootlegs

4 demos

one failed tour, and another failing with half empty arenas at many shows on both tours

who has the better resume?

YOUR MISSING THE POINT SIR.

IT's not who has been more successful in the past.

It's ONE MAN'S OPINION of who he thinks is better.

Not who sold more albums. Not who toured longer.

It's one man having the balls to voice his opinion.

And where is the old band now? Whether you like it or not, the "old" band isn't together any more. There is a reason for that.

and i think we all know who is the reason for that :rolleyes::rolleyes: and talking shit about the old band doesnt mean u have balls...

Apollo:

I guess it depends on your definition of "kicks the shit out of". Call me crazy, but to me that doesn't conjure up much respect. If you say The Bills kicked the shit out of Miami (what will happen this weekend :P ) you don't expect a close 20-17 game. You expect either a rout or at least a game that the Bills dominated despite the score. The term is not flattering, it's meant to indicate the loser was dominated.

I guess we can also disagree about who's fault it was that the old band broke up. I firmly believe that it falls on Axl more than anyone else. Not to say the others weren't partially at fault, none of them were exactly saints. But most evidence I believe points to Axl's dominating and controlling personality that slowly pushed the others to leave the band. You don't just walk away from something like Guns N' Roses so easily. It must have been the toughest decision those guys ever had to make - leaving possibly the greatest hard rock band ever, with possibly the greatest front man ever. You don't make that sort of decision capriciously, I believe you make that decision when you are at your wit's end, not a moment before. Furthermore, the old guys have all expressed the desire to reunite. It's only Axl (and Izzy who just wouldn't be into it) who hasn't.

As for Slash, he is bashed constantly for his work after GN'R despite the fact that much of that material is up to his lofty standards. The old band is constantly put down - called washed up, has beens, glad the are gone, fuck them, the list goes on. And this from people who are supposed to be fans! Granted, one person was probably responsible for half of that garbage.

I've praised the new band on many occasion. I don't really see too many Slash fans having a go a BBF or Fortus. Finck does take a lot of flack but hey, the way he plays some of those old solos is just awful. I can understand why it drives people nuts, because it drove me nuts for a long time. But I've grown to accept him in the new band, because it seems like the man can write some great stuff. And some of the old solos he can play pretty well. So I see his value to the team (mainly as a writer) and I accept it. Writing great tunes is the most important thing IMO. If Finck does that better than most, then I see his importance to the band. Better than some guy who can play the hell out of the old stuff, but can't write a great riff or solo to save his life.

Anyways, you have to expect fans to be touchy when it comes to the old band. They've done it all and as such they command respect - when they don't get it fans get pissed off. The new band has a long way to go before they are in old GN'R's league. That's just a fact. They may eventually get there, I guess we'll see. It certainly won't happen before the album is out, so here's hoping Axl can hit his target.

[great post dude rock1