why does axl constantly run off stage?

Guest Apollo

What does Beta look like? Im just curious if its the women he hugged just off stage a couple of times during the show I saw.

WHY does Axl run off stage during most songs? Does anybody know for real?

Edited by Apollo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, one reason we know is for oxygen.

I have a feeling that another reason is because he has nothing else to do on stage after his vocal parts are done with. Most other frontmen just stand around or bop their heads like they don't know what else to do. Back in the day, Axl used to dance around like a possessed maniac, which was uber-cool because he was so into it, but that shit takes up a lot of energy and I don't think he can spare it these days. Thus, he walks off to embrace friends, gather energy, and avoid the predicament of most other singers who look nervous, lame, and clueless when they're not singing.

I have a feeling that another reason is because he has nothing else to do on stage after his vocal parts are done with. Most other frontmen just stand around or bop their heads like they don't know what else to do. Back in the day, Axl used to dance around like a possessed maniac, which was uber-cool because he was so into it, but that shit takes up a lot of energy and I don't think he can spare it these days. Thus, he walks off to embrace friends, gather energy, and avoid the predicament of most other singers who look nervous, lame, and clueless when they're not singing.

that a good point, unless you have a wired mike and twirl your microphne over and over again, then act like you are churning butter, you dont have much else to do. I wish Baz would leave the stage too.... and stay there ;)

Couldn't said it better....... :P

....plus he has ALWAYS walked off stage, at least since he started the Illusions-tour. Back in the days he changed clothes alot, which he doesn't do now but with such long shows I guess it's nice with a little sit down time. :)

you said it very very nice...

you said it very very nice...

Meet Bluesy... the Forum's answer to the messiah!

Its pretty much assumed that one of the major reasons he goes offstage is for oxygen - Doing a show like he does can be very exhausting.

But I bet he does a lot of work with his voice as well. It takes a lot to maintain the condition of his throat/voice to be able to sound as good as he does day after day. you have to realize that singing the way he does, generally speaking, rapes your throat and makes it verrrry hard to sing for long periods of time. So its important to take good care of it. Theres most likely tons of bottles of honey back stage!! :P

Well there's the oxygen as others have stated, as for changing of clothes well i dunno, does he even change his clothes now days? i know he used to get through a complete wardrobe before (which was ridiculous really).

I'd imagine Axl is having a go at the sound guys behind the scenes aswell, maybe threatening to sack them - you know the usual stuff. Getting fresh water maybe, umm going to the toilet....

I think he runs off for a breath of oxygen from time to time, but also to change.

Sometimes, if they are using the larger stage setup, he will run off and then come back on on the upper level with the keyboards.

My seats backstage at Baltimore were right behind his big black felt box and the soundboards. He only ran back a few times to the box, maybe 3 total (assuming this is where his oxygen is). The rest of the time, he was just changing stage position. For 99.999% of the show, he stayed front and center on the stage. People are blowing this running off stage thing WAY out of proportion. I'm pretty sure most of the times were for costume change, like when he changed into his hoodie and skullcap.

Edited by jah772

At the Warfield show in S.F. which I seen from the balcony, that little black room covered around by black curtains, you could see a make up room with a mirror with those light bulbs above it that models use. I guess he goes back there to make sure he looks alirght and that there's nothing hanging out of his nose or if he has a loose braid coming off. And also to change outfits and get water or whatever. The guy has to look good for the audience and his fans right?

Edited by J. Rose

Oxygen, cigarette if he still smokes, shirt change, line of blow if he still does that :xmassrudolph:

...most likely just oxygen...I don't think he smokes (regularly) anymore.

For the record, he does it almost every song. Jungle solo, beginning and middle of YCBM, all the solo sections (3 or 4 a night), musical outro to Nightrain, etc.

Jonathan Davis from KoRn also uses oxygen at shows. I wonder if Steven Tyler does?

Honestly, Steven Tyler is the only frontman in the business that works as hard or harder than Axl onstage. Axl sprints, Steven does backflips. They both earn their money like no other, I can see why Axl needs the breaks!

At the Warfield show in S.F. from the balcony, that little black room covered around by black curtains, you could see a make up room with a mirror with those light bulbs above it that models use. I guess he goes back there to make sure he looks alirght and that there's nothing hanging out of his nose or if he has a loose braid coming off. And also to change outfits and get water or whatever. The guy has to look good for the audience and his fans right?

you might be right...