Super Bowl??

Bailey15

I heard that Billy Joel is doing the national anthem tomorrow. I'm actually interested in seeing that, it's been a long time since he was in the spotlight.

Anywyas, I disagree that GN'R could never do the SB. I'm sure the SB would love to have a rock band the stature of GN'R play the halftime show. To say that Guns are popular with typical football fans but not with the casual fans that only tune in to watch the SB, I don't really agree with that. GN'R is possibly the most known band of it's era; and if not they are probably second. That' pretty impressive for a band that has been out of the public spotlight since 1994.

And I mean, do you really think the fans that like Justin/Janet also like the Stones and Aerosmith? Of course not. They may know of them more than they do Axl Rose, but that will change after Chi Dem is out. Which is why the right time for GN'R to play the SB is in 2008 (assuming the album comes out in 2007).

Another great time for GN'R to play the SB is if and when there is a reunion. That would be fucking massive, and don't think for a second the NFL wouldn't want some of that action. Yes, they'd have to deal with Axl and some uncertainty. But as someone else mentioned, Axl isn't going to flake out of playing the SB halftime show and they have contracts to enforce good behaviour. Swear words aren't a big deal. They just air on a time delay and bleep them out.

But yeah, there's no way GN'R play the SB this year. Grammy's on the other hand are a lot more likely (even though they probably won't be there either).

Edited by KBear

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noooooooo... .Not the dreaded Super Bowl thread that somebody starts every year.

Please .. no .. not again. ....... *Raises garlic and a cross*.......

*Thinks to self: And we're not even into 2007 yet. This is going to be a long five weeks* ... *shakes head*

Noooooooo, Not the dreaded "Not the Dreaded Super Bowl thread." Madison, you bitch about this thread every time someone starts it, yet you let countless threads about redundant crud go on all the time. Hope is a good thing. Much better than all the neagative bashing and pointless "reunion" threads you dont seem to have a problem with. Lighten up about the SB threads. Just my opinion.

Noooooooo... .Not the dreaded Super Bowl thread that somebody starts every year.

*Thinks to self: And we're not even into 2007 yet. This is going to be a long five weeks* ... *shakes head*

Noooooooo, Not the dreaded "Not the Dreaded Super Bowl thread." Madison, you bitch about this thread every time someone starts it, yet you let countless threads about redundant crud go on all the time. Hope is a good thing. Much better than all the neagative bashing and pointless "reunion" threads you dont seem to have a problem with. Lighten up about the SB threads. Just my opinion.

Honestly, I think all the reunion threads are moved into "Dust N' Bones" and even if the mods don't catch you bashing a bandmember - the other members of the forum certainly will, and they'll give you hell for it.

I think people are pretty positive here. Especially considering what they've been put through as fans over the years. There's the occasional troll, but they're always taken care of.

Honestly, I think all the reunion threads are moved into "Dust N' Bones" and even if the mods don't catch you bashing a bandmember - the other members of the forum certainly will, and they'll give you hell for it.

I think people are pretty positive here. Especially considering what they've been put through as fans over the years. There's the occasional cupcake, but they're always taken care of.

Very true, ER.

In case anyone missed it, Prince will headline the halftime show this year.... It seems extremely hard to understnad for some people... :monkey:

I think people are pretty positive here. Especially considering what they've been put through as fans over the years. There's the occasional cupcake, but they're always taken care of.

Very true, ER.

In case anyone missed it, Prince will headline the halftime show this year.... It seems extremely hard to understnad for some people... :monkey:

Yeah but what if it's not really Prince? What if it's Axl dress as Prince!!!! Let's not get our hopes down!! I still believe!!!

Ok, time for my mediaction!

Very true, ER.

Yeah but what if it's not really Prince? What if it's Axl dress as Prince!!!! Let's not get our hopes down!! I still believe!!!

Ok, time for my mediaction!

LOL :lol:

GnR would have been way cooler than Prince,that's for god damn sure!

Not as a diss towards Axl, but I think Prince has that general mainstream pop quality that would appeal to a larger amount of people. I'd be very, very surprised to see an act like GN'R play the Superbowl. You don't often see many hard rock bands like GN'R play, mainly because - especially in conservative America - you have to either be a highly iconic, legendary rock band (like the Rolling Stones) and steer far away from controversial lyrics (they removed the "cock" line from Rough Justice when they played the superbowl), or you have to be a clean mainstream act with mass appeal like Justin Timberlake/Jackson. Which is why the whole nipple exposure created such a HUUUUGE ordeal.

If it had happened in Europe, it probably wouldn't have made a single news outlet. America has a different mindset. You utter the F-word like Sienna Miller did two days ago and it makes major news. There are a lot of Midwestern conservatives in the US who would probably throw a fit just at the sight of seeing an act like GN'R on stage. You have to remember that not everybody watching the Superbowl is going to be into GN'R and the producers know this. GN'R just wouldn't carry the same impact as a band like the Stones would. They appeal to 60-year-olds and 20-year-olds alike, whereas GN'R still has another twenty years or so to go until they can claim that.

But Prince is pretty damn cool anyway. He's got great talent as a pop artist and has written some amazing songs - I'm not disappointed at all. It's better than having Timberlake back again.

Very true, ER.

Unless you know something we don't, there is a chance we could see a commercial. Here's hoping anyway.

Unless you know something we don't, there is a chance we could see a commercial. Here's hoping anyway.

Spend $2.5 million for a 30sec ad and reach out to a couple of US couch potatoes who have no interest in GN'R? Yes, I know the number of viewers, but I think the PR team have to think a bit smarter and more global than that.

Superbowl is only really popular in America. Granted, it's becoming more of an event in the UK and the rest of the world - but let's face facts here, the biggest sporting events in the world are football related, not American football related. The World Cup would be the biggest and best way for GNR to reach a global audience. The Superbowl will only really serve to get US fans at least talking about GNR again.

Superbowl is only really popular in America. Granted, it's becoming more of an event in the UK and the rest of the world - but let's face facts here, the biggest sporting events in the world are football related, not American football related. The World Cup would be the biggest and best way for GNR to reach a global audience. The Superbowl will only really serve to get US fans at least talking about GNR again.

Maybe that's what Axl's doing then: waiting for the 2010 World Cup to start PR! :rolleyes:

The superbowl happens every year, and clearly Europe and the rest of the world embrace this incarnation of GNR more than America does. In Europe they sell out festivals, in America they half-sell college basketball stadiums. America is where the biggest PR push needs to be made, and why not do it at the superbowl??

That said, nothing GNR-related will happen tonight, and BEAR DOWN!!

Spend $2.5 million for a 30sec ad and reach out to a couple of US couch potatoes who have no interest in GN'R? Yes, I know the number of viewers, but I think the PR team have to think a bit smarter and more global than that.

People who hate football watch the superbowl just to see the commercials. The entire country is watching the game, with the possible exception of the people who are busy delivering pizza. But, there is no way that GN'R will be any part of it, the idea that any record company would spend that kind of money on Axl when he hasn't delivered, is just delusional.

yeah, it would be great if gnr would just happen to show up, take Prince out back, beat the shit out of that fruitcake, and take over the stage. p.s.go bears

and the winner for least intelligent post of the day ::drum roll::

mike jones! congratulations asshole, you've managed to make yourself look like a complete stooge, great 40th post! let's take a look at all you've won:

a place on the 7th page of a stupid thread, value estimated at absolutely nothing

a huge sign that says "i'm an idiot who has never actually listened to prince and bases everything i think about him on the way he looks", value estimated at less than nothing

a razzing from another guy on the same lame ass topic, value estimated at the cost of a college tuition

let's give him a round of applause guys