VIDEOGAME Thread...

That Mario Maker is a nice little feature. I managed to grab a Gamecube with 13 games off eBay yesterday for £45, can't wait to finally get stuck into MGS: Twin Snakes. I've no doubt I'll complain about differences from the original but I've waited this damn long I'm going to enjoy it.

The differences aren't that bad, after a long wait you probably won't notice many of them. Hardcore MGS fans hate it though.

I don't know if I'd consider myself a hardcore MGS fan so hopefully it'll be alright. I'm going to play through them all before Phantom Pain, just trying to work out whether to do it in release order or timeline order. I've still not played Peace Walker yet, I've got it in the HD collection but just never bothered to get around to it.

Release order. Always release order. It makes the storyline much more powerful that way, in my opinion.

I have no idea why some people seem to think playing through the series in timeline order is a good idea... it would make absolutely no sense.

One of the reasons Snake Eater is so good is because you've been hearing about this legendary Big Boss character throughout the past games, so the experience of actually getting to play through his story is that much more enjoyable.

• Like 2

That Mario Maker is a nice little feature. I managed to grab a Gamecube with 13 games off eBay yesterday for £45, can't wait to finally get stuck into MGS: Twin Snakes. I've no doubt I'll complain about differences from the original but I've waited this damn long I'm going to enjoy it.

The differences aren't that bad, after a long wait you probably won't notice many of them. Hardcore MGS fans hate it though.

I don't know if I'd consider myself a hardcore MGS fan so hopefully it'll be alright. I'm going to play through them all before Phantom Pain, just trying to work out whether to do it in release order or timeline order. I've still not played Peace Walker yet, I've got it in the HD collection but just never bothered to get around to it.

Release order. Always release order. It makes the storyline much more powerful that way, in my opinion.

I have no idea why some people seem to think playing through the series in timeline order is a good idea... it would make absolutely no sense.

One of the reasons Snake Eater is so good is because you've been hearing about this legendary Big Boss character throughout the past games, so the experience of actually getting to play through his story is that much more enjoyable.

Exactly. I think the ending of that game was incredibly satisfying because you know what it all lead into.. if you played it in timeline order for the first time (like I almost did), that ending would have nowhere near as much power as it actually does. (I'm specifically talking about all the stuff with the boss, actually. And how it all starts with her, not with big boss)

Edited by Aaron_H

I'd never do it or recommend it to someone as their first playthrough, but I don't really see the harm when someone's completed each game a few times already.

Well especially since some of the Metal Gear lore is retconed/rebooted with every new installment. That's why it's much better to start with the first MGS I agree. As for MGS2, it was meant as a conclusion to the series, I really see it as a standalone game, almost a simulation, another view on the whole series, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it just after MGS1 as it's very confusing plot-wise. The best way for a beginner would be imo: MGS1-MGS3-Peace Walker - MGS2-MGS4. Then maybe Ground Zeroes but there's not much in it so it doesn't really count as a game, it's ultimately just a demo for MGSV Phantom Pain.

Damn I'm so pumped for The Phantom Pain, while it wasn't the best looking game on the E3 (that award would go to the Witcher 3, even though I really don't like how occidental developers make games), it was certainly the most cinematographic, and deep trailer shown. As a MGS fan, you can't help but see how much work went into it, so many new informations, details... Kojima really let me down with MGS3, 4 and Peace Walker, I thought the games were less polished (not as good as MGS2 anyway which was the most brilliant game in early 2000's) and targetted to a more mainstream audience, but this one man.. he really took risks, references everywhere (Peter Pan, Dracula, Moby Dick, 1984- can't wait to see how the torture scenes will be inspired by Winston and Julia story- and so much more) and the gameplay is really gonna be the best out there for a TPS/infiltration game. Wasn't much impressed by ground zeroes as they took down some stuff you could do in MGS4 and Peace Walker, but this one seems to have it all, and more.

As for the Twin Snakes, I wouldn't call it bad, but it suffers some of the problems the Gus Van Sant's Psycho remake suffered, it's almost a copy/paste thing without adding anything useful, and this is especially a problem with the gameplay, everything is too easy. They took the gameplay from MGS2 but didn't change the level design from MGS1, everything is the same, so it makes the game very casual. As for the cutscenes, most of it was changed with an over the top style (but believe me I love Ryuhei Kitamura's work, especially Versus and his Godzilla), the voice acting was changed and most importantly, the music: it was much much MUCH better in the original. Then if you just care for the graphics and playing an easy game, then yeah it's a better deal, but if you care about the atmosphere, the deep stuff of MGS, then you have to play the original. Again Twin Snakes is a sign that Kojima wanted to go more mainstream, he is the one who insisted Kitamura added is own over the top stuff to please a more mainstream audience.

Anyway, MGSV... damn I can't wait. Won't be out til late 2015/2016 I fear, if you have watched every trailer from TPP, it's just too gigantic. There is the hospital scene which has a very special animation on Snake, Afghanistan (which maps looks gigantic)... and then there's Africa, didn't see it coming. That and the fact the Mother Base is customizable, plus there will be a lot of time gaps as we will probably start on Diamond Dogs (which must have been built during Big Boss' coma), then we'll move on to Outer Heaven (probably the result of an alliance with XOF, which will take some time), and Kojima must introduce the formation of Foxhound (since Psycho Mantis was seen in one of the first trailers).

Clearly it's gigantic, since Ground Zeroes took four years to get released (the development was known to the public in 2012 but clearly it must have began in 2010 since almost everything was completed in september 2012), so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes two more years to complete the main piece.

Absolutely blown away again by this new trailer, Kojima is definitely the most qualified video game director these days, to the point the rest of the games look already old and déjà vu.

Edit: also don't bother with the MSX2 games (Metal Gear 1 and 2). The first one has aged a lot but it's still good, and the second one is a great game, in the vibe of his previous game, Snatcher, but it's mostly a game for retrogamers and Kojima lovers. It won't give you much more on the story and you might be disappointed in some stuff you want in it (some revelations made in MGS1 were never mentioned in the first two games, a good example of a retcon often happening in this series). Still it's incredible to see that everything you liked in MGS1 was already there in MG2. Just complete it if you have done everything else, as they are really tough games, very hard to complete without walkthroughs.
I also wouldn't recommend Portable Ops which has some good ideas (that were kept/brought back in a new way in Peace Walker) but is mostly garbage with a poor story, poor character writing and disappointing music. It was just produced by Kojima but made by other people within his company. It also retcons way too much stuff and isn't even mentioned in peace walker (except for a line) and ground zeroes. We still don't know if it can be considered canon (most probably not, as it got the snake's revenge treatment).

As for Ghost Babel on the game boy color, same as portable ops, mainly garbage, non story related, it's an alternate sequel to the very first Metal Gear on the MSX2, it's incredible for this handheld console graphics-wise, but there's nothing much to it. Even the music is irritating.

Edited by D..

I feel like I'm in the minority when I say I didn't actually enjoy MGS4 all that much. Storywise it was great, and the ending was brilliant, but in terms of actual gameplay I just wasn't much of a fan. I feel like it didn't age as well as MGS2 or MGS3, and the gameplay Kojima wanted to achieve was only done in Ground Zeroes and ultimately Phantom Pain. I'm looking forward to playing Twin Snakes, and if it's shitty, I can just as easily jump into the original. I wasn't never to get it working well on an emulator, so it's about time I bit the bullet on it and appeased my younger self. Yeah I've played Portable Ops and Ghost Babel, enjoyed them both for what they were but couldn't look much more seriously at them than that. I've never completed the MSX games (though gave them a good go when they were released with the expanded Snake Eater), and Peace Walker and Revengeance are the only two I've not touched.

I don't want to touch Ghost Babel again, at the time the idea of playing anything Metal Gear on my little Gameboy was mind blowing and I don't want to ruin it. Being able to play MGS on the toilet now, that's a world I'm glad to live in.

Edit:- I do hope we get something more of a younger Solid Snake at some stage, whether he appears in Phantom Pain or in another game. They could do worse than reimagining the likes of the MSX games into a whole new beast, but that doesn't seem like Kojima's style. The thought of a big long Sutherland vs Hayter codec call though, phwoar.

Edited by Conor

Really impressed by that No Man's Sky trailer:

Then I found out it's been developed by just 7 people in Guildford. Fuck me, that's unbelievable.

Got a new VGA box for my Dreamcast and busted it out again. Nostalgia overload!

• Like 1

Really impressed by that No Man's Sky trailer:

Then I found out it's been developed by just 7 people in Guildford. Fuck me, that's unbelievable.

Got a new VGA box for my Dreamcast and busted it out again. Nostalgia overload!

WOW! Jaw droped, but im a bit sceptic.

Yeah I am dubious about No Man's Sky, seems too good to be true and likely wont deliver.

WOW! Jaw droped, but im a bit sceptic.

Yeah, I mean, how "infinite" can it be? I assume it'll be variations on a few basic planet types (desert, snow, Avatar-esque, etc.), and beyond exploring, what is the objective? That said, the planets they've shown are off are really cool (desert one with Dune-esque sandworms, dinosaur planets, underwater regions...), and there's space flight, too. Seems they've got warp travel as well so if you go miles and miles off into the infinite it won't be a pain in the arse to get back in the action.

Somebody found the code for the original graphics effects seen at E3 for the PC version of Watch Dogs.

http://imgur.com/a/23usB

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=838538

Somebody found the code for the original graphics effects seen at E3 for the PC version of Watch Dogs.

http://imgur.com/a/23usB

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=838538

Already installed them, theyre not ALL the effects, some dof and blur and dynamic lighting

Already installed them, theyre not ALL the effects, some dof and blur and dynamic lighting

The DoF is ridiculous, that guy needs to go to an optician.

Found in shaders.dat in the Watch Dogs files, I even found them myself

Watch-Dogs-comentario-oculto.jpg

"This is PC only, who cares."

Seriously, fuck Ubisoft