Friday 15 June - 8:00pm MELBOURNE! updates

aussie_axl

who would have thought they would refrain from playing Hair of the Dog for 2 ENTIRE SHOWS

I don't get it. Have they played Hair Of The Dog recently?

Don't listen to the guy.

Yeah don't listen to me.

Thats probably best

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who would have thought they would refrain from playing Hair of the Dog for 2 ENTIRE SHOWS

I don't get it. Have they played Hair Of The Dog recently?

..no..but they should present down on the farm again..and bring perfect crime...

From The Age in Melbourne:

Axl rises to the occasion for triumphant return

With his braided red hair, leather jacket and dark sunglasses, Axl Rose was every inch the rock star at the Rod Laver Arena last night.

With his braided red hair, leather jacket and dark sunglasses, Axl Rose was every inch the rock star at the Rod Laver Arena last night.

A DUBIOUS chapter in Australian rock history came full circle last night when US rock group Guns N' Roses returned to Melbourne after a 14 year gap.

With the crowd warmed up by energetic sets from Sydney hard rockers Rose Tattoo and Sebastian Bach from Skid Row, Guns N'Roses hit the stage in an explosion of flames with what the anthem of the night, Welcome to the Jungle.

All the old classics followed: It's So Easy, Mr Brownstone, and they dropped in a couple of new songs, including Better, which plodded at first but built into a reassuring, classic Guns N' Roses rock anthem.

The band needed eight players to replicate the sound of the four original band members, but they still oozed the sound of Los Angeles' dark seedy underbelly.

They may have lacked the old chemistry, but this was clearly Axl Rose's show.

With his braided red hair and dark sunglasses, the singer made the crowd feel like no time had passed since their last visit, as he "snake-hipped" and jived his way around the stage.

You can always expected the unexpected with Guns N' Roses, the self-appointed "most dangerous band in the world".

Usually bands playing the arena have to finish up before the 11pm curfew or face fines. For these shows, promoter Paul Dainty paid the fines upfront because Rose — a notorious night owl — refuses to start before 11pm.

Rose is the only original member of the band playing this weekend. After the band split in 1996, he became a Phil Spector-esque recluse, retreating to his Malibu mansion, filled with snakes, religious paraphernalia and weaponry, working away on the band's much-anticipated new album Chinese Democracy.

That album — reportedly 13 years and $US14 million ($A16.7 million) in the making — is yet to appear, although a couple of its songs have appeared in shows.

Guns N'Roses' last Melbourne gig was the sweltering 1993 Australia Day Calder Park show before 70,000 fans. That show was marred by controversy after fans were forced to queue for hours for water and toilets, and many were stranded without public transport.

Last night was a far more civilised affair, mainly because a sell-out crowd of about 12,000 only had to venture to the Rod Laver Arena.

Hardcore fans, many who were returning 14 years later, lined up in the dense fog from 7pm. Dave Pearce, 36, said he enjoyed the smaller queue but still fondly recalled the Calder Park experience.

"You don't care about all that when you're 21," said Pearce, who avoided the Calder traffic jams by sleeping in his car. "But it would be different now at my age and in winter."

"It was our Woodstock," added his mate Dave Ferns, 36.

The band play the Rod Laver Arena again tonight. Tickets are still available.

Nice to see another very positive review

Edited by Catcher

A DUBIOUS chapter in Australian rock history came full circle last night when US rock group Guns N' Roses returned to Melbourne after a 14 year gap.

With the crowd warmed up by energetic sets from Sydney hard rockers Rose Tattoo and Sebastian Bach from Skid Row, Guns N'Roses hit the stage in an explosion of flames with what the anthem of the night, Welcome to the Jungle.

All the old classics followed: It's So Easy, Mr Brownstone, and they dropped in a couple of new songs, including Better, which plodded at first but built into a reassuring, classic Guns N' Roses rock anthem.

The band needed eight players to replicate the sound of the four original band members, but they still oozed the sound of Los Angeles' dark seedy underbelly.

With his braided red hair and dark sunglasses, the singer made the crowd feel like no time had passed since their last visit, as he "snake-hipped" and jived his way around the stage.

You can always expected the unexpected with Guns N' Roses, the self-appointed "most dangerous band in the world".

Usually bands playing the arena have to finish up before the 11pm curfew or face fines. For these shows, promoter Paul Dainty paid the fines upfront because Rose â€â€ a notorious night owl â€â€ refuses to start before 11pm.

Rose is the only original member of the band playing this weekend. After the band split in 1996, he became a Phil Spector-esque recluse, retreating to his Malibu mansion, filled with snakes, religious paraphernalia and weaponry, working away on the band's much-anticipated new album Chinese Democracy.

That album â€â€ reportedly 13 years and $US14 million ($A16.7 million) in the making â€â€ is yet to appear, although a couple of its songs have appeared in shows.

Guns N'Roses' last Melbourne gig was the sweltering 1993 Australia Day Calder Park show before 70,000 fans. That show was marred by controversy after fans were forced to queue for hours for water and toilets, and many were stranded without public transport.

Last night was a far more civilised affair, mainly because a sell-out crowd of about 12,000 only had to venture to the Rod Laver Arena.

Hardcore fans, many who were returning 14 years later, lined up in the dense fog from 7pm. Dave Pearce, 36, said he enjoyed the smaller queue but still fondly recalled the Calder Park experience.

"You don't care about all that when you're 21," said Pearce, who avoided the Calder traffic jams by sleeping in his car. "But it would be different now at my age and in winter."

This review is the WORST thing I have ever fucking read!

Yeah "with what the anthem of the night" and the "original 4 members" and .... thanks for fucking coming now fuck off.

How do people like that get fucking jobs? Don't you have educated people writing reviews anymore?

LP

Edited by Longpig

Usually bands playing the arena have to finish up before the 11pm curfew or face fines. For these shows, promoter Paul Dainty paid the fines upfront because Rose — a notorious night owl — refuses to start before 11pm.

That album — reportedly 13 years and $US14 million ($A16.7 million) in the making — is yet to appear, although a couple of its songs have appeared in shows.

ouch.jpg

hahahahahahahahahaha

LP

a new name for the band The Replicants

Edited by dobadog

great review, although the band did have heaps of chemistry!!! rock3

So did anyone drink much at the show? I woulnt mind but I dont wanna get totally smashed and I dont wanna keep going to the toilet.

I some champagne before the concert.

hey my friend reckons the Fortus solo was downtown train by Rod Stewart when robin came in"

the concert friday night definately went way above any expectations i had. fuck guys, it was awesome. even better that metal mike gave me a backstage pass, yey! got to meet everyone, and went out with them after the backstage patry. and they sure know how to fkn party.

but yeh, definately was a night i'll remember for the rest of my life. :D

check out the hyatt! ;)! would be a good place to start.

nope. they stayed at the hilton. yes, a bit late for that now. im not sure where axl and seb stayed (prob up in the penthouse or whatever), but yeh... definately know where the others were, hehe.

Edited by Kaz (loyal gunner)

check out the hyatt! ;) ! would be a good place to start.

nope. they stayed at the hilton. yes, a bit late for that now. im not sure where axl and seb stayed (prob up in the penthouse or whatever), but yeh... definately know where the others were, hehe.

so did you get to meet axl

yep. and stupid fkn me didnt have a camera coz i wasnt planning on gettin backstage coz its never EVER happened before. im tryin to track down some randoms that were there who took photos, coz i was in a few. but in answer to ur question, yeh, i met him. hes actually pretty nice lol. but by the end of the night, him n seb kinda kept to themselves, n i decided to leave them alone lol. didnt wanna get kicked out or anything! thatd be embarrassing... :huh: lol. i seriously cant wait for chinese democracy to be released though, itd gunna be sooooo good.

yep. and stupid fkn me didnt have a camera coz i wasnt planning on gettin backstage coz its never EVER happened before. im tryin to track down some randoms that were there who took photos, coz i was in a few. but in answer to ur question, yeh, i met him. hes actually pretty nice lol. but by the end of the night, him n seb kinda kept to themselves, n i decided to leave them alone lol. didnt wanna get kicked out or anything! thatd be embarrassing... :huh: lol. i seriously cant wait for chinese democracy to be released though, itd gunna be sooooo good.

that's so cool you got to go to the after party, how did you go about doing that, and where was it if you don't mind me asking, you're so lucky that you got to meet Axl and the rest of the gang!! that totally rocks!!!

Sounds like u had a good time. Did u shag any band members? :tongue2: