Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

GNR Manager: Great art takes time.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

darknemus

darknemus

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • 08-April 03

The title track to Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy hits radio today, and with the album officially slated for release on Nov. 23 (through an exclusive deal with retail giant Best Buy) comes the beginning of the end to a 15-year GNR drought. But at what cost to the band's label, Interscope?

Music industry veteran Matt Pinfield, a former MTV VJ and Columbia Records VP of A&R who now hosts New York station WRXP's morning show, estimates the recording process alone easily ran in the millions. "I would imagine it's the most expensive rock record ever made," he says. But according to GNR's current manager, Azoff's Andy Gould, you can't rush the magic of rock. "Art and commerce have always made strange bedfellows," Gould tells EW.com. "When they asked Michelangelo to paint the Sistine Chapel, they didn't say, 'Can you do it in the fourth quarter?' so they can make their numbers. Great art sometimes takes time."

Indeed, as recently as 2002, the same year singer Axl Rose closed out the MTV Video Music Awards with a surprise performance, some 300 DAT tapes sat in a studio cabinet — bits and pieces of Rose's "masterpiece," according to an ex-Geffen Records staffer: "As the dollars got bigger and bigger, there was even greater hope [to get the album finished]. But it got to the point where that hope went over the edge, like 'This will never happen.'"

Pinfield says, "Working on records at Columbia, I'd come across people coming off the project or going on, and they would say that Axl was just taking his time — that he wasn't satisfied with certain things."

With less than a month to go until fans can judge the final product for themselves (pending approval of the album's artwork, which, Gould hinted, could have its own complications), the anticipation — and pressure — is most certainly high, especially considering early predictions that AC/DC's new album, Black Ice, could top 250,000 in first-week sales. "Rock music has always been strong when there’s turmoil and unrest," offers Pinfield, "whether it’s the voice of reason, an accompaniment to what’s going on or a form of escapism. And look at the situation we're in now with the economy and the world. The game has changed, with artists like AC/DC selling through Wal-Mart and Guns at Best Buy, but Chinese Democracy, without a question, will be a No. 1 record."

Link to the article here: GNR Article 'great art takes time'

I was personally intrigued about the possible 'complications' regarding cover art. Could it have to do with issues within China? As in, its kind of hard to release an album called 'Chinese Democracy' in, well, China who kind of frowns on those things. Intriguing, anyway..

-darknemus

PappyTron

PappyTron

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • 16-May 07
The difference being that the Sistine Chapel was painted in four years because Michelangelo didn't repaint it half a dozen times.

"I actually had one cute hat, and it blew off at the CVS parking lot. And this whole car full of black kids ran over it, for no reason. AND THEY SAW IT! THEY SAW IT!"

GNRs00ks

GNRs00ks

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • 16-March 07
Sure it does, look how much time the Beatles took to make some of the greatest album of all time. Oh wait it was much less time than it took GnR to make Chinese Democracy. Most truly classic albums did not take 13 years to make. I actually can't even think of one classic album that took 13 years to make.

Edited by GNRs00ks, 22 October 2008 - 08:46 AM.

Kesseli

Kesseli

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts
  • 08-March 05
2005 is teh year of guns n roses. !
"The world is falling apart"
Posted Image

Patience 4 Axl

Patience 4 Axl

FRONTMAN

• Supporters
  • 15,190 posts
  • 25-August 04
I'm sorry, but did he compare Michaelangelo's work in the Sistine Chapel to recording a rock album? :xmasschef2:
Anyway, the possiblity of more complications isn't all that surprising unfortunately.
Posted Image

"I left Guns out of love. Out of love of music and being on stage."- SLASH

Whateva! I'm not some pretenderrr, I'm a native New Yorkerrr!

axlskAmpf

axlskAmpf

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  • 23-January 06
No two ways about it, 5 records were made before this one emerged. The real quote should be "Great art takes time, and Axl takes even longer".

But who cares, ITS HERE!...almost :confused:

I am also wondering about these complications as it hits 1 month from tomorrow.

Edited by axlskAmpf, 22 October 2008 - 08:53 AM.

Posted Image

I've Always Been The Caretaker

11dayempire

11dayempire

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • 31-October 05
The cover photo was a snap taken by someone working for the band, right? Not by Axl or one of the band members themselves, IIRC. In that case, the "complication" could be that the photographer might (understandably) want quite a lot of money for the photo, given that it's going to be appearing on the cover of one of the most anticipated albums of all time...

Edited by 11dayempire, 22 October 2008 - 08:50 AM.

busngabb

busngabb

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts
  • 25-February 05
So this is what the excuse is going to be? So they didn't have time to think about the artwork before now? Now it's suddenly a problem?

If this doesn't happen on time, I'm going to explode.

Many thanks to MSL, Incognito, Darknemus and L!ve Free! And any other cool people who like to share...

Danny

Danny

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • 28-October 03
Apparently Guns and their management also consider updating their website a work of art as well.

"Welcome to the bunghole"

-Anal Rose

tat2d1

tat2d1

OH MY GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,340 posts
  • 16-October 02
Maybe the complications for the cover art is why there is no longer Covers B or C listed at Best Buy.
Check out Pythons By Design on Facebook

madison

madison

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,049 posts
  • 15-January 02
Well, I hope this means they're changing the artwork.
As I mentioned in the artwork thread - I never thought it screamed rock n roll to me. I was quite surprised by the choice. They need an album cover that jumps out and shouts "rock" to someone checking out new releases at the record store.
Many of the fan-made covers that were posted here were far better. jmo.

Posted Image

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." ... Hunter S. Thompson. RIP.

Roy79

Roy79

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,594 posts
  • 16-February 06
Maybe we didn't get to see the REAL cover art yet....

Mysteroy
Posted Image

The waveform of Chinese Democracy shows the true meaning of the song: 2 lightsabers...it's all about The Force. This shit beats spinning LP's backwards!!! Axl Rose welcomes YOU into the 21st century.....

betterman

betterman

Junior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • 16-January 06

Sure it does, look how much time the Beatles took to make some of the greatest album of all time. Oh wait it was much less time than it took GnR to make Chinese Democracy. Most truly classic albums did not take 13 years to make. I actually can't even think of one classic album that took 13 years to make.

I can think of one: Chinese democracy! :P

HEADBLADE

HEADBLADE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • 18-October 08
man, i pray this wont change the release date!

rain_king

rain_king

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • 03-December 05
well, the star with the babies might get some complaints, it's at least as disturbing as the original appetite cover.