Now it's really official: GNR have been chosen for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

tange

that Izzy finally gets recognized for his more than substantial contributions.

Nighttrain

Patience

Don't Cry

YCBM

Brownstone

thats really the end of the argument right there. When they needed a new album and hit he gave us patience. when the band was ready to release the UYI albums we got YCBM.

I won't even get started on Dont cry.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course Izzy was an awsome part of the original sound of GN'R, but really it was a collective effort of all 5 members.

On a side note....What about the new members of GN'R? some guys like Tommy have been in

the band longer than the originals. It will be interesting to see how that whole thing works out.

Nighttrain

Patience

Don't Cry

YCBM

Brownstone

thats really the end of the argument right there. When they needed a new album and hit he gave us patience. when the band was ready to release the UYI albums we got YCBM.

YCBM was an Appetite outtake last I checked....

Of course Izzy was an awsome part of the original sound of GN'R, but really it was a collective effort of all 5 members.

On a side note....What about the new members of GN'R? some guys like Tommy have been in

the band longer than the originals. It will be interesting to see how that whole thing works out.

I've always said at the very least, Tommy should get in. But then you have the question of why other new members shouldn't/don't...

Tommy/the rest of the new band will not be included because RRHOF only counts album appearances (which is why Dave Mustaine was not inducted with Metallica despite his writing contributions towards their first two albums). They all played on one (awesome) album that didn't sell. Dizzy will get in if Matt gets in, but I'd give them maybe 25% odds (to my knowledge, neither of them have writing credits, etc.) I'd imagine Dizzy and Matt will be invited, not sure about the rest.

The "new" members will definitely be acknowledged from the stage, much more so than, say, Gary Cherone was at VH's induction. I wouldn't even be surprised if Slash or Duff said something nice about the new band, possibly something about "doing such a great job keeping the name alive" or something. They saw enough drama with VH and know better than to be anything less than class acts at this point.

I've always said at the very least, Tommy should get in. But then you have the question of why other new members shouldn't/don't...

Wow you can't be serious. WTF has Tommy done. Appeared on GNR's worst album. Don't think that's enough....

Wow you can't be serious. WTF has Tommy done. Appeared on GNR's worst album. Don't think that's enough....

I don't thjink the new members would be eligible till 2033 since that'll be the 25th anniversary of CD.

Not to mention Think About You, Double Talkin Jive, Dust N Bones, Pretty Tied Up, 14 Years, and Bad Obsession.

Izzy was key to their rock sound.

+ Slash

Based on the song titles listed on this thread, Tommy has no place accepting anything on behalf of Guns N'Roses

Tommy/the rest of the new band will not be included because RRHOF only counts album appearances (which is why Dave Mustaine was not inducted with Metallica despite his writing contributions towards their first two albums). They all played on one (awesome) album that didn't sell. Dizzy will get in if Matt gets in, but I'd give them maybe 25% odds (to my knowledge, neither of them have writing credits, etc.) I'd imagine Dizzy and Matt will be invited, not sure about the rest.

The "new" members will definitely be acknowledged from the stage, much more so than, say, Gary Cherone was at VH's induction. I wouldn't even be surprised if Slash or Duff said something nice about the new band, possibly something about "doing such a great job keeping the name alive" or something. They saw enough drama with VH and know better than to be anything less than class acts at this point.

Good point. It does require that their first recordings be at least 25 years ago. So I see no 'New' members will be inducted.

That's subjective.

Based on the song titles listed on this thread, Tommy has no place accepting anything on behalf of Guns N'Roses

My comment on Tommy was in response to the question asked about new members, 2 totally different topics between the original post and what I was responding to.

Good point. It does require that their first recordings be at least 25 years ago. So I see no 'New' members will be inducted.

It's not that individual members need to have first appeared on recording at least 25 years ago, it's only the actual band that needs to have recorded 25 years prior. Look at AC/DC; Brian Johnson was inducted 23 years after Back In Black was released. Ron wood was inducted with the Rolling Stones just 13 years after the release of Black And Blue. That's no excuse for any new members not to be included

Since it seems like my Tommy comment has been blown way out of proportion, let me explain a little further what I think. I do believe that certain newer members should be inducted due to their contributions to the band over the years. However, in the interest of fairness, and based on the HOF's failure to induct noteworthy members of certain bands in the past (See: Black Sabbath), I think it's most likely that only the Appetite line-up will get inducted. Even by adding Dizzy to the induction, that opens a whole new Pandora's Box of who should and shouldn't be inducted IMO.

Robert Trujilo was inducted with Metallica before his first contribution to the band was even released. I don't see why Tommy and other members of the band won't get inducted. As far as I am concerned if you just joined an eligible band and they agreed you are to be inducted with them, then you're in.

And I happen to think Chinese Democracy is their best album since Appetite for Destruction. Use Your Illusion I and II were awesome though. I can't understand why anyone would put The Spaghetti Incident? Over CD unless they are Slasholes.

Edited by BirdCatcher

Robert Trujilo was inducted with Metallica before his first contribution to the band was even released. I don't see why Tommy and other members of the band won't get inducted. As far as I am concerned if you just joined an eligible band and they agreed you are to be inducted with them, then you're in.

And I happen to think Chinese Democracy is their best album since Appetite for Destruction. Use Your Illusion I and II were awesome though. I can't understand why anyone would put The Spaghetti Incident? Over CD unless they are Slasholes.

The best thing about CD is Buckethead, Robin Finck and Brain. Should they be inducted too ?

The best thing about CD is Buckethead, Robin Finck and Brain. Should they be inducted too ?

Yes. but will the former members allow that? I don't know. I think the original members have to agree, just like Metallica did for their bass player.

If old GN'R does the show, this should be the lineup.

Axl- Vocals

Slash- Lead guitar/backing vocals

Izzy- Rhythm guitar/backing vocals

Gilby- Rhythm guitar/backing vocals

Duff- Bass/backing vocals

Matt Sorum- Drums

Steven Adler- Drums

Dizzy Reed- Keyboards/backing vocals

Teddy Zig-zag- Harmonica/keyboards/backing vocals

976 Horns section- Sax, trumpet, etc

Tracey/Roberta- Backing Vocals

Yes. but will the former members allow that? I don't know. I think the original members have to agree, just like Metallica did for their bass player.

The bands get no say in what members are inducted; it's all up to the same committee that does the voting on nominees/inductees.

If they do get inducted are there "rules" to how they choose which members beyond the AFD lineup to induct?

I ask this question every time I'm at the HOF, and no one's ever given me a definite answer. The band I'm particularly curious about is Black Sabbath, as only Ozzy, Tony, Geezer, and Bill are inducted. I've been told to write a letter to the foundation with my question, and I finally did last time I was in Cleveland. The reply I got was that any member that contributes to the band during a time of critical and/or commercial success gets inducted. Going back to my case of Sabbath, this sort of proves that claim is bullshit; Sabbath enjoyed plenty of commercial and critical success with Dio both times he was in the band (As well as Heaven And Hell, though that was post-Sabbath induction), and they received a fair amount of commercial success, if not always critical success, with Tony Martin in Europe at the very least.

and? song was a huge hit. huge. shit still comes on the radio and was one of their gold singles.

oh and of their singles released. 6 went gold. Izzy wrote 3 of them. BOOM MF'ers!

Nighttrain

Patience

Don't Cry

YCBM

Brownstone

YCBM was an Appetite outtake last I checked....

I love Izzy as much as anybody.

But the worshipping of him gets a little over the top at times.

He was no more valuable to the rock sound or song writing of the band than Axl or slash were.

Without Izzy.....GnR still would have been huge.

Without Slash or Axl......no.