Give It Up For Axl!

MarlaHooch

In Chicago the other night, we all knew Axl was having a bad night by the 4th or 5th song of a 30 song set. Obviously he knew before any of us that it was going to be a rough night for him. But he's clearly changed over the past few years.

He didn't quit. He didn't bitch. He didn't say "sorry I'm sick" or make excuses. He didn't give up. He didn't cut the show short.

No, he played a set as long or longer than what he's been playing the past six months. He kept at it and pushed through an epic set that most singers half his age couldn't keep up for half as long.

Give the man some credit. He has come a LONG way these past couple of years. The shows are great, the setlists are incredible (although some spoiled children will never be satisfied), his voice is (for the most part) better than it has been in over 20 years, they're starting at a reasonable hour, he is gracious to the crowds and occasionally stands up for them. Everyone is more than getting their money's worth at these shows.

Call me sappy but I'm fucking proud of our boy and he deserves a fuck load of credit for how hard he has been working lately. Cheers.

Edited by MarlaHooch

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Chicago the other night, we all knew Axl was having a bad night by the 4th or 5th song of a 30 song set. Obviously he knew before any of us that it was going to be a rough night for him. But he's clearly changed over the past few years.

He didn't quit. He didn't bitch. He didn't say "sorry I'm sick" or make excuses. He didn't give up. He didn't cut the show short.

No, he played a set as long or longer than what he's been playing the past six months. He kept at it and pushed through an epic set that most singers half his age couldn't keep up for half as long.

Give the man some credit. He has come a LONG way these past couple of years. The shows are great, the setlists are incredible (although some spoiled children will never be satisfied), his voice is (for the most part) better than it has been in over 20 years, they're starting at a reasonable hour, he is gracious to the crowds and occasionally stands up for them. Everyone is more than getting their money's worth at these shows.

Call me sappy but I'm fucking proud of our boy and he deserves a fuck load of credit for how hard he has been working lately. Cheers.

+100!

Very well said! :thumbsup:

I think some of us "fans" are way too critical. For once the media are praising the concert and giving this band a fighting chance. The late starts aren't even an issue anymore (thanks to management communicating more accurate start times and having the openers start later). Big things are on the way folks...

I'm very proud of what this band has accomplished over the past two years. They are keeping their heads down and allowing to let the music do the talking. That's as professional as it gets in my book. Instead of wastsing their time fighting with paparazi in the airport, biting legs, and responding to every bad review, they've chosen the high road and the music and awesome shows have spoken.

There are only so many times a music critic can be critical of things that have been discussed again and again. The crowds are getting larger, gnr seem to be considered 'reliable' since they are headlining more festivals this summer, etc.

Once these guys have the opportunity to receive the media respect they deserve, I think we'll see new music quicker than we expect.

Well done current line-up. I loved the show in Chicago the other night too. I was lucky enough to watch from the second or third row.

Please book another date in Denver so I don't have to fly anywhere next time.

I don't get around to posting much, but I read this and I agree whole Heartedly! I'm sick of the shit storm that axl constantly has to endure. He has really opened up lately and thats great to see!

Right fucking on!

I know people keep on bitching about this and that, but this thread sums it up pretty well. He has come a long way as far as show times and professionalism. Really this is the lesser of two "evils", whereas now, the shows are much more structured, almost to the point of it looking like he's just going through the motions, which I do not believe he is. Sure, we lose out on a certian air of unpredictability that was a GNR trademark for so long, but in the end, the structure benifits Axl, and in turn, us, the fans.

And, yes. That fucker did the right thing by fighting through his struggles on Sunday evening. I know I appriciated it, and I assume others such as Mr . Eddie Money, who traveled quite a distance for rock and roll, do too.

Agreed.

I wonder how much influence management has over the positive reviews. I find it really interesting that they are getting a good response from the media who normally take cheap shot at everything GnR. The trend is changing and I wonder if that's because of someone's influence.

+100!

I'm with you man! Well said! Go Axl!!!

I agree.

He doesn't have to play a 3hr set at all. If he had made it 2hrs and 20, no-one would've complained (except this forum :rolleyes: ). You gotta give him immense credit for that. Sign of a great performer that'll give it his all no matter the circumstances

+100!

+101

You are spot on, in the "old" days he walked out of the concert cos someone had a camera. These days he supports the fans against security, or his co-workers do what they can to accommodate fans, kudos to him for the last concert and even having it streamed while he obviously felt lousy. :thumbsup:

Shame that he is so sick, I know you all want the concerts to go ahead and don't blame you. He probably does too but imagine feeling so ill and having to go out and sing for 3hrs plus preparation. :(

He's done a great job and seems a changed person, maybe age or maybe Beta and family in his life has settled him somewhat.

Thanks for you post "sappy" - just kidding :D

Agreed.

I wonder how much influence management has over the positive reviews. I find it really interesting that they are getting a good response from the media who normally take cheap shot at everything GnR. The trend is changing and I wonder if that's because of someone's influence.

Yeah, I have a theory on that.

I think Jan Wenner knows that if Axl shows at the HOF Ceremony, it's a major boost for the HOF, therefore it appears that it in fact could be a "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" kind of move. Now, is it an gentleman's agreement, or just Jan making a move out of his own best interests? Things that make you go hmmm...

Politics + Rock and Roll= :tongue2: