Marilyn Manson, why did he become a santanist?

batman1987

Ok, i'm not really into Marilyn Manson(except i really kinda like his version sweet dreams :ph34r: ); just wanted to get that clear. I was just wondering, does anyone know if he became a satanist for the image or for the actual belief? Does anyone have more info on this? Please? :)

Remember; don't bash, i don't like marilyn manson.

I have your answer homes.

first, yes, i like and have liked marilyn manson's music for many years. and yes, in some ways it's a guilty pleasure because most of the time people automatically assume you are immature or dress stupid if you're an actuall mm fan- that ain't me though. with that said, here's the answer in a nutshell (which is based on what he's explained in his autobiography):

growing up, religion (catholicism mainly) was aggresively forced down his throat constantly in middle school/junior high. heavy emphasis was placed on the book of revelations, primarily the stories of the coming of the antichrist and who would and would not be saved from satan's wrath. he had a very hard time with this and was paranoid as a result. he was always led to believe that because his parents followed a certain sect of catholicism (a sect that was looked down upon by his school teachers), he was at a very high risk of going to hell when armageddon (which just happened to be taking place [according to his teachers] VERY soon) occured.

next, school administration made popular the practice of playing popular rock records such as albums by led zeppelin, queen, kiss, etc. backwards during assemblies to reveal outloud the satanic subliminal messages they supposedly contained. young brian was attracted to the heavy riffage of these artists and found a love for heavy metal music.

a few years later, when armageddon never took place and nothing bad happened to him that the school said would happen, he became pissed off and resentful of the whole religion thing. and, of course, during a time when satanism was growing increasingly popular among teenagers and heavy metal music, he too started dabbling in black magic/the occult. fast forward another few years and with minimal recognition within the industrial heavy metal scene, the at-the-time leader of the church of satanism, anton levay asked to meet marilyn manson. anton levay then ordained brian warner a high-priest in the church of satan. to him, it was a great honer.

now today: on several occasions marilyn manson has claimed he is not actually a "satanist" but rather someone who follows no organized religion, including satanism. in my opinion, the whole thing was really a symptom of his age and such. now that he is older, i don't think it's much of a thought or issue with him anymore.

i hope that's helped. if you've skipped through all that and will only read this: he declared himself a satanist in his late teenage years out of rebellion but is believed he is not involved with the practice of satanism any longer.

first, yes, i like and have liked marilyn manson's music for many years.  and yes, in some ways it's a guilty pleasure because most of the time people automatically assume you are immature or dress stupid if you're an actuall mm fan- that ain't me though. with that said, here's the answer in a nutshell (which is based on what he's explained in his autobiography):

growing up, religion (catholicism mainly) was aggresively forced down his throat constantly in middle school/junior high.  heavy emphasis was placed on the book of revelations, primarily the stories of the coming of the antichrist and who would and would not be saved from satan's wrath.  he had a very hard time with this and was paranoid as a result. he was always led to believe that because his parents followed a certain sect of catholicism (a sect that was looked down upon by his school teachers), he was at a very high risk of going to hell when armageddon (which just happened to be taking place [according to his teachers] VERY soon) occured.

next, school administration made popular the practice of playing popular rock records such as albums by led zeppelin, queen, kiss, etc. backwards during assemblies to reveal outloud the satanic subliminal messages they supposedly contained.  young brian was attracted to the heavy riffage of these artists and found a love for heavy metal music. 

a few years later, when armageddon never took place and nothing bad happened to him that the school said would happen, he became pissed off and resentful of the whole religion thing.  and, of course, during a time when satanism was growing increasingly popular among teenagers and heavy metal music, he too started dabbling in black magic/the occult.  fast forward another few years and with minimal recognition within the industrial heavy metal scene, the at-the-time leader of the church of satanism, anton levay asked to meet marilyn manson.  anton levay then ordained brian warner a high-priest in the church of satan. to him, it was a great honer.

now today: on several occasions marilyn manson has claimed he is not actually a "satanist" but rather someone who follows no organized religion, including satanism.  in my opinion, the whole thing was really a symptom of his age and such.  now that he is older, i don't think it's much of a thought or issue with him anymore.

i hope that's helped.  if you've skipped through all that and will only read this: he declared himself a satanist in his late teenage years out of rebellion but is believed he is not involved with the practice of satanism any longer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perfect. The guys a genious watch bowling for columbine, axlander...excuse me Almost Famous, your a fuckin lucky guy to have met him rock3

first, yes, i like and have liked marilyn manson's music for many years.  and yes, in some ways it's a guilty pleasure because most of the time people automatically assume you are immature or dress stupid if you're an actuall mm fan- that ain't me though. with that said, here's the answer in a nutshell (which is based on what he's explained in his autobiography):

growing up, religion (catholicism mainly) was aggresively forced down his throat constantly in middle school/junior high.  heavy emphasis was placed on the book of revelations, primarily the stories of the coming of the antichrist and who would and would not be saved from satan's wrath.  he had a very hard time with this and was paranoid as a result. he was always led to believe that because his parents followed a certain sect of catholicism (a sect that was looked down upon by his school teachers), he was at a very high risk of going to hell when armageddon (which just happened to be taking place [according to his teachers] VERY soon) occured.

next, school administration made popular the practice of playing popular rock records such as albums by led zeppelin, queen, kiss, etc. backwards during assemblies to reveal outloud the satanic subliminal messages they supposedly contained.  young brian was attracted to the heavy riffage of these artists and found a love for heavy metal music. 

a few years later, when armageddon never took place and nothing bad happened to him that the school said would happen, he became pissed off and resentful of the whole religion thing.  and, of course, during a time when satanism was growing increasingly popular among teenagers and heavy metal music, he too started dabbling in black magic/the occult.  fast forward another few years and with minimal recognition within the industrial heavy metal scene, the at-the-time leader of the church of satanism, anton levay asked to meet marilyn manson.  anton levay then ordained brian warner a high-priest in the church of satan. to him, it was a great honer.

now today: on several occasions marilyn manson has claimed he is not actually a "satanist" but rather someone who follows no organized religion, including satanism.  in my opinion, the whole thing was really a symptom of his age and such.  now that he is older, i don't think it's much of a thought or issue with him anymore.

i hope that's helped.  if you've skipped through all that and will only read this: he declared himself a satanist in his late teenage years out of rebellion but is believed he is not involved with the practice of satanism any longer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like Manson, as well :) .

Read his biography. I finished reading it awhile ago. I don't think that thats why he wanted to become a satanist, but it could be a reason, well anyways this is what Manson says about satanism:

"What nearly everybody in my life- from John Crowell to Ms.Price- had misunderstood about Satanism was that it is not about ritual sacrifices, digging up graves and worshipping the devil. The devil does not exist. Satanism is about worshipping yourself, because you are responsible for your own good and evil. Christianity's war against the devil has always been a fight against man's most natural instincts- for sex, for violence, for self-gratification- and a denial of man's membership in the animal kingdom. The idea of heaven is just Christianity's way of creating a hell on earth. I'm not and have never been a spokesperson for Satanism. It's simply part of what I believe in, along with Dr.Seuss, Dr.Hook, Nietzshe and the Bible, which I also believe in. I just have my own interpretation."

What Manson said made me want to become a Satanist.

"What nearly everybody in my life- from John Crowell to Ms.Price- had misunderstood about Satanism was that it is not about ritual sacrifices, digging up graves and worshipping the devil. The devil does not exist. Satanism is about worshipping yourself, because you are responsible for your own good and evil. Christianity's war against the devil has always been a fight against man's most natural instincts- for sex, for violence, for self-gratification- and a denial of man's membership in the animal kingdom. The idea of heaven is just Christianity's way of creating a hell on earth. I'm not and have never been a spokesperson for Satanism. It's simply part of what I believe in, along with Dr.Seuss, Dr.Hook, Nietzshe and the Bible, which I also believe in. I just have my own interpretation."

What Manson said made me want to become a Satanist.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cool. another fan of his autobiography like me. however, the devout christian in me has to speak out when reading about someone else wanting to become a satanist... you may wanna try experimenting with Christ, too. he works :)

also, while i'm at it. i just realized something else too. if you disect the text in his book, you can see that he technically declared himself a Satanist when he accepted the crimson card that Anton Levay gave him with the title of "Revrand" on it. so- yeah, you know, if you wanna get technical.

anyway, nice to see someone else is as much of a fan of the book as i am.

well he most probarly did it for the belief i mean do people that are christians become christians for the image? and for everyone that think maryalyn manson is shit id just like to say i achually quite like him some of his songs are really crap but song like mobscene are up there with the greatest songs ever

My sister's version is that MM studied how to win money faster and easier, and he found out that the satanist people didn't have one leader then he decided that way, he's a mask , he's unreal, I hate his music, they say it's creepy but for me it's ridiculous

Manson is one of the nicest people I've ever met, he was walking about at the Mall Of America, no one even noticed him. He came into my Dad's store when I was helping out and Manson and one of the guitiarists came in as well, he wasn't dressed goth. Nice as fuck as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

where do you come up with your storys? :ph34r:

Manson is one of the nicest people I've ever met, he was walking about at the Mall Of America, no one even noticed him. He came into my Dad's store when I was helping out and Manson and one of the guitiarists came in as well, he wasn't dressed goth. Nice as fuck as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

where do you come up with your storys? :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What storys?