I applaud Axl on his new musical direction

Kaneda

I will admit, listening to new GNR material is a nerve racking experience. Since I am such a fan, my expectations are sky high and over the years, I've romanticized the unknown material so much that it becomes difficult to actually accept the song in reality. So when I heard I.R.S., Better and T.W.A.T., I didn't know what to think at first. It's difficult not to look at new material through a GNR lens of old. Wanting to hear another Sweet Child, Paradise City or Estranged is not my fault, it's just what being a GNR fan waiting for new material expects. But to truly understand the genesis of Chinese Democracy, you have to let go of your expectations as a fan and look at this thing through the eyes of the creator -W.Axl Rose. For once you do that, it makes complete sense why this new band sounds so much different than the band of old. It needed to be this way.

Axl knows he can go on stage and sing all of the classics from yesterday, so why try and re-write similar versions of songs he could never top? Those songs are classics and they represent moments in Axl's life that are over. He is no longer riding the nightrain. Rather he is 44 years old and has gone through a lot of personal suffering and loss in his life. The lyrics of the new material seem to reflect and mirror his abject suffering. But Axl is the only singer that can deliver such sullen songs in such a beautiful way. His voice and lyrics seem directly linked to his tortured soul; and he sort of sings the way we all wish we could if we were to express the pain of our own lives. By combining heavy rock elements with soulful lyrics and the most unprecedented voice in music, you get something very special, something that can only be called Guns N Roses.

Axl Rose will live and die by this musical dichotomy. With Chinese Democracy we are going to get the next chapter in Axl Rose's vision for Guns N Roses. Like any good series of books or movies, it's boring if we made the same journey over and over again. While Slash and Co. were clearly keen for creating more Appetite for Destructions, Axl didn't want to go there anymore. After hearing the new creations, I am very happy he broke away. We would never be listening to songs like Better or TWAT if it was just Izzy and Slash writing. Some people say that the old guys would have made a better album. Who knows? But what we have coming our way soon is going to be something special. Hearing Axl, older and wiser, composing tracks like Better, tracks that have that timeless appeal and modern, yet classic, feel at the same time, you know it's going to take over the musical world.

And when it's all said and done, when all the material is out and you put all of W.Axl Roses material against any other performers; whether Rock, Rap, Classical, New Age, Pop...etc...there will be nobody that comes even close to his level of talent. Not the Stones, not The Doors, not Zepplin, not Bon Jovi, not Aerosmith, the only one that comes close is Enrique (just kidding). The wait is coming to an end, and it will be sad when it's over because this wait has sort of bonded us all (in misery albeit). But at least the nay sayers will eat their words when Axl returns. Sucks to be Velvet Revolver.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will admit, listening to new GNR material is a nerve racking experience. Since I am such a fan, my expectations are sky high and over the years, I've romanticized the unknown material so much that it becomes difficult to actually accept the song in reality. So when I heard I.R.S., Better and T.W.A.T., I didn't know what to think at first. It's difficult not to look at new material through a GNR lens of old. Wanting to hear another Sweet Child, Paradise City or Estranged is not my fault, it's just what being a GNR fan waiting for new material expects. But to truly understand the genesis of Chinese Democracy, you have to let go of your expectations as a fan and look at this thing through the eyes of the creator -W.Axl Rose. For once you do that, it makes complete sense why this new band sounds so much different than the band of old. It needed to be this way.

Axl knows he can go on stage and sing all of the classics from yesterday, so why try and re-write similar versions of songs he could never top? Those songs are classics and they represent moments in Axl's life that are over. He is no longer riding the nightrain. Rather he is 44 years old and has gone through a lot of personal suffering and loss in his life. The lyrics of the new material seem to reflect and mirror his abject suffering. But Axl is the only singer that can deliver such sullen songs in such a beautiful way. His voice and lyrics seem directly linked to his tortured soul; and he sort of sings the way we all wish we could if we were to express the pain of our own lives. By combining heavy rock elements with soulful lyrics and the most unprecedented voice in music, you get something very special, something that can only be called Guns N Roses.

Axl Rose will live and die by this musical dichotomy. With Chinese Democracy we are going to get the next chapter in Axl Rose's vision for Guns N Roses. Like any good series of books or movies, it's boring if we made the same journey over and over again. While Slash and Co. were clearly keen for creating more Appetite for Destructions, Axl didn't want to go there anymore. After hearing the new creations, I am very happy he broke away. We would never be listening to songs like Better or TWAT if it was just Izzy and Slash writing. Some people say that the old guys would have made a better album. Who knows? But what we have coming our way soon is going to be something special. Hearing Axl, older and wiser, composing tracks like Better, tracks that have that timeless appeal and modern, yet classic, feel at the same time, you know it's going to take over the musical world.

And when it's all said and done, when all the material is out and you put all of W.Axl Roses material against any other performers; whether Rock, Rap, Classical, New Age, Pop...etc...there will be nobody that comes even close to his level of talent. Not the Stones, not The Doors, not Zepplin, not Bon Jovi, not Aerosmith, the only one that comes close is Enrique (just kidding). The wait is coming to an end, and it will be sad when it's over because this wait has sort of bonded us all (in misery albeit). But at least the nay sayers will eat their words when Axl returns. Sucks to be Velvet Revolver.

Clever bastard, had us all fooled, didn't you? :P

Good words, Kaneda. It's all in your perspective.

Agree. Good post.

You know, I love all of the G N' R material but if you listen to the released albums they sound dated. I don't mean this as an insult but when I hear Appetite I hear the type of mix you heard in late 80's, when I hear Illusion I hear the mix from that time frame (A little over processed in parts etc)

Again, there is no way to get away from this, I mean a song from 1960 does not have the same mix as a song from 1990 - with the new material we're hearing not only an updated influence in the sound but a newer mix and feel that seems more modern. I like the edge you hear in Better for example..I think Axl has grown in the right direction. rock3

Edited by mcalldp

Agreed. you managed to get the key point in about the new musical direction..it did had to be done, because trying to be slash duff and izzy isn't in finck, stinson's, or fortus' nature. they have done their own stuff, and that was necessary, most certainly.

There are of course issues about a name change, issues about a reunion, but when its all said and done, axl rose has seemingly come back and produced the goods one more, and thats what matters. in a nutshell.

Kaneda has more personalities than Gollum...........

Nice escape route by the way! As you have now found out, the album does indeed exist!..............

(John 20:29 springs to mind..... ("You have seen me and you believe,...... blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe.."))

LA

Edited by LA_0013

Too long to read... besides I was burnt out on your "Giving up" posts a long time ago ...

So, I found myself going "blah, blah, blah" while trying to get through the first paragraph but, that's just me apparently.

Edited by Franchelle

Litterally an excellent post. It said everything I've been thinking about this new material. Axl has created excellent songs and I look forward to hearing the rest of the album. By the way I've began listening to NIN and you can really see that a song like 'Better' was influenced by Trent's unique style of music.