Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

On 6/4/2017 at 2:18 PM, Gracii Guns said:

Got about three books on the go right now, this is what I've got lined up after. 

I consider myself an armchair enthusiast on the 1979 Iranian Revolution. 

revolutionary-iran.jpg

No offense, but if you're an enthusiast of the 79' rev, in that you're genuinely curious, then you may not want to read anti-Iranian, pro imp trash like this. Or are you an anti , maybe I didn't understand your original comment

The Reprieve by Sartre

and I read an article where Danny Sugarman's "Appetite for Destruction", an out of print book, was referenced. Ordered it but so far I've only thumbed through the photos, like the true scholar I am:lol:

Edited by Pishy

2 hours ago, Pishy said:

No offense, but if you're an enthusiast of the 79' rev, in that you're genuinely curious, then you may not want to read anti-Iranian, pro imp trash like this. Or are you an anti , maybe I didn't understand your original comment

Have you actually read this book?

There aren't many covering 1979 that aren't strictly from a US/Canadian point of view. This is the most unbiased one I've found yet. And you've probably not read it as if you had, you wouldn't be describing it as "trash".

5 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Have you actually read this book?

There aren't many covering 1979 that aren't strictly from a US/Canadian point of view. This is the most unbiased one I've found yet. And you've probably not read it as if you had, you wouldn't be describing it as "trash".

It's odd you mention there are not many books from a non US/Canadian view then cite a text with a western view and author. And really what matters are the material conditions/relations the text roots it's argument in, not where the author is from or some smoke and mirrors about her/his view. Just because the author doesn't spell out a clear anti position, doesn't mean liberal imperialist language and agenda are not at play.  Once you're trained to utilize a false dichotomy, and to pick up the same lens, it can be difficult to even consider anything else.  The parameters of the argument and so-called point of views, are set by the same side and with one agenda in mind, only the methods and approach varies to give the appearance of debate and fairness. 

No, I did not read the book in its entirety , looked it over, it's a dime a dozen and I don't need to consume the same trash repeatedly to understand what's going on, it's a familiar and transparent ploy and if you considered the author , the TIMING and how it attempts to appeal by appearing "even handed", while denigrating and furthering an imperialist agenda, then maybe you would consider what I've said. No state is looking to be saved by the bombs, stay out. 

There are plenty of good texts on the subject, if it's an area of interest.  Books such as, "reading Lolita", "lipstick Jihad", "Shia crescent" and other trash, belong in the bottom of a sewer.  But this is what is pitched to further condition people, plus there is a level of comfort many wont move past because then, one must contend with unflattering realities.

Anyways, I made a mistake to veer anywhere near politics on the board but since I criticized I should offer a better suggestion, which you can take or leave of course. 3 authors I can immediately think of with work in English are: Ervand Abrahamian, Hamid Debashi and Lawrence Potter. They have academic articles and books.  The reaction is always the same when I say anything, or suggest texts but what would I know, right? And what would a non-native informant, Iranian professor, in this specific area of study know? Surely not as much as Bob Smith or Sambo Ali.

26 minutes ago, Pishy said:

It's odd you mention there are not many books from a non US/Canadian view then cite a text with a western view and author. And really what matters are the material conditions/relations the text roots it's argument in, not where the author is from or some smoke and mirrors about her/his view. Just because the author doesn't spell out a clear anti position, doesn't mean liberal imperialist language and agenda are not at play.  Once you're trained to utilize a false dichotomy, and to pick up the same lens, it can be difficult to even consider anything else.  The parameters of the argument and so-called point of views, are set by the same side and with one agenda in mind, only the methods and approach varies to give the appearance of debate and fairness. 

No, I did not read the book in its entirety , looked it over, it's a dime a dozen and I don't need to consume the same trash repeatedly to understand what's going on, it's a familiar and transparent ploy and if you considered the author , the TIMING and how it attempts to appeal by appearing "even handed", while denigrating and furthering an imperialist agenda, then maybe you would consider what I've said. No state is looking to be saved by the bombs, stay out. 

There are plenty of good texts on the subject, if it's an area of interest.  Books such as, "reading Lolita", "lipstick Jihad", "Shia crescent" and other trash, belong in the bottom of a sewer.  But this is what is pitched to further condition people, plus there is a level of comfort many wont move past because then, one must contend with unflattering realities.

Anyways, I made a mistake to veer anywhere near politics on the board but since I criticized I should offer a better suggestion, which you can take or leave of course. 3 authors I can immediately think of with work in English are: Ervand Abrahamian, Hamid Debashi and Lawrence Potter. They have academic articles and books.  The reaction is always the same when I say anything, or suggest texts but what would I know, right? And what would a non-native informant, Iranian professor, in this specific area of study know? Surely not as much as Bob Smith or Sambo Ali.

I can read what I like. Instead of criticising me, how about a word of praise for finding a pretty non-mainstream historical event (which I have no cultural connection to) which I'm interested in and pursuing it honestly and earnestly? I've not studied history or politics since the age of 18. My journey researching the wider topic on Iranian history has introduced me to a beautiful nation which I am fascinated to learn more about, and hopefully visit one day. It also provides me with a reference point for current affairs. But if my choice in books isn't good enough for you, shall I just give up?

I buy books which are available to me, I can't be searching for authors which I've not even heard of. I absolutely do intend to read as many books with an account through as many lenses as possible. Thank you for recommending the work of Abrahamian, Debashi and Potter. I'll go have a look. 

By the way, my personal view is that the university students were fully justified in capturing the embassy, and in retrospect, treated the hostages somewhat appropriately given the situation. Of course, with the trash I've been reading, I absolutely couldn't have formed an opinion like that myself. :P

The Acts of Thecla (of Paul and Thecla).

Without study aides I would miss a lot of what is being communicated, as is the case with a lot of spiritual texts by women in historical times, being vague and making inside references were important for survival.  If the scholars are illuminating it correctly, its quite the story.

41 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Anna Carlisle's All the Secret Places.

She's a new writer. I just ordered her first book and loved it. This book has the same characters with a whole new mystery.

I don't know her but i notice you read a lot of the same authors as me. Have you read any Harlen Coben?

On 21/08/2017 at 2:09 PM, Pishy said:

Sambo Ali, is that a real name? :lol:

• Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 5:04 PM, janrichmond said:

I don't know her but i notice you read a lot of the same authors as me. Have you read any Harlen Coben?

No never have read him.

Yeah, I have so many favorite writers and they're always writing a few books a year, so I'm constantly reading. It helps me relax. I love murder mysteries and horror the best.

I'm now reading "Hot Blooded" by Lisa Jackson.

1 minute ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

No never have read him.

Yeah, I have so many favorite writers and they're always writing a few books a year, so I'm constantly reading. It helps me relax. I love murder mysteries and horror the best.

I'm now reading "Hot Blooded" by Lisa Jackson.

I love murder/mystery books, I don't read any other fiction, there has to be something to try and work out. have you read Eeny Meeny by M J Arlidge?

Just now, janrichmond said:

I love murder/mystery books, I don't read any other fiction, there has to be something to try and work out. have you read Eeny Meeny by M J Arlidge?

No I've never heard of that author. I've heard of Harlon but never read any of his books. Does he write political books? Those don't interest me at all.

I love James Patterson, Dean Koontz, Lisa Gardner, Tess Gerritsen and Kay Hooper to name a few.

I've discovered new authors like the book read. I belong to the mystery guild book club so I check out their site everyday.

Happy reading.

Just now, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Okay cool. Maybe I will check him out. I know he has tons of books in my club.

Is there any books you can recommend.

Tbh they're all pretty good so maybe read them in order. M J Arlidge is my current fave writer and Chris Carter, both are gritty and relatively new.

This year I've been dipping my toes into the work of G.K. Chesterton. Found the Father Brown stories a bit one-note and nothing special. But I've just started his biography of St Francis, it says more about Chesterton's writing skill than it does about the saint. His writing style is typical of its time, he's not scared of a long sentence, but there is rarely a wasted word. Very grateful that I didn't let the Fr Browns put me off. He's a pleasure to read, and gives me the dirtiest laugh when he jumps from discussing the deeply philosophical to the stupidly obvious. 

As I doubt any of you will read him, here's a quote from him which rings as true now as when it was first penned:

"We have had no good comic operas of late, because the real world has been more comic than any possible opera."

• Like 1

On 07/09/2017 at 10:08 PM, Gracii Guns said:

This year I've been dipping my toes into the work of G.K. Chesterton. Found the Father Brown stories a bit one-note and nothing special. But I've just started his biography of St Francis, it says more about Chesterton's writing skill than it does about the saint. His writing style is typical of its time, he's not scared of a long sentence, but there is rarely a wasted word. Very grateful that I didn't let the Fr Browns put me off. He's a pleasure to read, and gives me the dirtiest laugh when he jumps from discussing the deeply philosophical to the stupidly obvious. 

As I doubt any of you will read him, here's a quote from him which rings as true now as when it was first penned:

"We have had no good comic operas of late, because the real world has been more comic than any possible opera."

I'd like to read the one about St Francis actually.