Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

On 10/1/2017 at 2:56 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

A friend of mine actually gave me one of Harlan's books called "Missing you". I will read it soon and let you know what I think. We've been trading books back and forth. It's cool to read new books by new authors. I just love to read any good mystery or horror book.

Just finished that. Fun little mystery. Some of the storyline about the dad seemed a little overboard and the revelation about his murder was a little hard to believe, but overall I enjoyed it. This was my first book by him, liked it enough to check out something else by him if anyone has any suggestions.

1 hour ago, Pskihq92 said:

Any Stephen King fans? He's my favourite. I'm halfway through part 6 of 7 of the Dark Tower series

I've read almost everything by him except for some of his newer ones. I've always heard stuff about the Dark Tower books but never checked them out. They sound interesting but might be a little too hardcore fantasy for me. Plus there's so freaking many :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, J Dog said:

I've read almost everything by him except for some of his newer ones. I've always heard stuff about the Dark Tower books but never checked them out. They sound interesting but might be a little too hardcore fantasy for me. Plus there's so freaking many :lol:

You'll not be disappointed! They are absolutely fascinating and worthy to read. Forget the film.

My favourite book of the series is problably The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Pskihq92 said:

Any Stephen King fans? He's my favourite. I'm halfway through part 6 of 7 of the Dark Tower series

I'll start Song of Susannah soon as well. It's my fourth journey to the tpwer rigtht now

Edited by Sosso

4 hours ago, Sosso said:

I'll start Song of Susannah soon as well. It's my fourth journey to the tpwer rigtht now

Song of Susannah for me was the worst of the original 7 books... In that one it became obvious that King was flying by the seat of his pants and was just trying to pad out the story.

Edited by wondering where's izzy?

4 minutes ago, wondering where's izzy? said:

Song of Susannah for me was the worst of the original 7 books... In that one it became obvious that King was flying by the seat of his pants and was just trying to pad out the story.

The strongest books are DT II-V anyway. I wouldn't even call the first book a “real“ novel because it's basically a collection of five connected short stories.

Edited by Sosso

Just got this yesterday and really looking forward to reading this book

Sticky Fingers: The Life and Times of Jann Wenner and Rolling Stone Magazine

I read that Wenner cooperated with the writer on this book and told him to write the story no holds barred so it supposedly an uncensored look at Wenner and The history of Rolling Stone magazine.  Wenner then supposedly stopped talking to the writer as the book was a little too uncensored for his taste.

I know some dislike Rolling Stone mag and Jann Wenner in general but for me growing up in the 70's RS was an important cultural publication not only for music related content but also for it's political and social commentary.

Edited by classicrawker

On 10/19/2017 at 9:09 AM, Oldest Goat said:

Nice review. You sound more confident/comfortable or something I think. Really need to read this, it's been on my radar for a while now. What do you think of the David Lynch movie?

I read the books back in the 70's/80's  and the original trilogy is highly recommended...IMHO you really need tp read all three books from Herbets original trilogy to get the whole story....

As far as the movie the David Lynch version is watchable at best but if  you read the books first it is a big disappointment as it really strays from the books and not in a good way IMHO....worth a watch for the special effect though.

While not perfect I think the SciFi channels 4 1/2 hour miniseries from 2000 is much better than Lynch's movie  as it follows the book more closely but these books really need a new big budget movie(s) that follows the original story line of the books to do these classics justice...

If you like classic scifi I highly recommend Asimov's Foundation trilogy if you have not already read them.......

Edited by classicrawker

Does anyone like Philip K. Dick's stuff? His books are bizarre. I can see now that he was loaded on amphetamines when he wrote them. The one I am reading now, the earth is too hot so everyone has to go around in environment suits. There are human colonies on Mars etc and life is so dull that they are addicted to this drug; they sit around a doll's house, chew this drug and enter this doll's house, cohabiting bodies of the dolls (Perky Pat and Wally) collectively. This drug is force fed them by rich corrupt corporations. Further, the rich people living on earth aspire after this medical treatment which fast-tracks evolution, added brain power and the ability to withstand earth's heat, however their foreheads swell ('bubbleheads') and they develop weird skin. 

He must have been drugged out of his brain writing this stuff!

i'm currently delving in the writers of the 19the century. just finished HG wells, the time machine. fascinating story. i'm also well into poe's and lovecraft's complete works. can't beat a great and creepy gothic story on a winter's eve.

I'm also reading through the complete sherlock holmes (AC doyle).

short stories FTW.

11 hours ago, action said:

i'm currently delving in the writers of the 19the century. just finished HG wells, the time machine. fascinating story. i'm also well into poe's and lovecraft's complete works. can't beat a great and creepy gothic story on a winter's eve.

I'm also reading through the complete sherlock holmes (AC doyle).

short stories FTW.

As much as I love Hound of the Baskervilles, the essence of Holmes is the shorts. Citing (from memory) some of my favourites: Red Headed League; Five Orange Pips; Speckled Band; Musgrave Ritual; Crooked Man; Final Problem (Moriarty!); Six Napoleons; Dancing Men, etc.

Generally the earlier ones are better as Doyle grew tired of his own creation, preferring his historical fiction and spiritual tomes. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

As much as I love Hound of the Baskervilles, the essence of Holmes is the shorts. Citing (from memory) some of my favourites: Red Headed League; Five Orange Pips; Speckled Band; Musgrave Ritual; Crooked Man; Final Problem (Moriarty!); Six Napoleons; Dancing Men, etc.

Generally the earlier ones are better as Doyle grew tired of his own creation, preferring his historical fiction and spiritual tomes. 

Holmes was a brown-head y'know...further corroborating my theory that drugs make you a genius :lol: