Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished reading this. I'm planning on a home birth, therefore the availability of pain medication will be limited.

This book is hilariously hippyish. The author was a midwife at a time when the profession had been officially phased out in the U.S.A. She started a commune in the early 1970s Tennessee for women who either desired a natural childbirth, couldn't afford a hospital birth or didn't want a termination, but didn't feel ready to be parents. 

It has an overwhelmingly positive message, that the female body is capable of anything, it's a case of mind over matter. I'm not scared of labour anymore. It might hurt, but it doesn't have to. I'd wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone else needing encouragement for childbirth. Like all self-help books, it's a case of pick n mix what you need from it, and ignore the rest. 

51XDRTR8LfL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

30 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

I've just finished reading this. I'm planning on a home birth, therefore the availability of pain medication will be limited.

This book is hilariously hippyish. The author was a midwife at a time when the profession had been officially phased out in the U.S.A. She started a commune in the early 1970s Tennessee for women who either desired a natural childbirth, couldn't afford a hospital birth or didn't want a termination, but didn't feel ready to be parents. 

It has an overwhelmingly positive message, that the female body is capable of anything, it's a case of mind over matter. I'm not scared of labour anymore. It might hurt, but it doesn't have to. I'd wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone else needing encouragement for childbirth. Like all self-help books, it's a case of pick n mix what you need from it, and ignore the rest. 

51XDRTR8LfL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

A friend of mine went to The Farm to study under Ina May Gaskin and loved it.  She practice's now.  I ended up reading a few of her books.  Im guessing this release didnt include her famously folksy/edgie language for parts of female anatomy?

The Farms origin is a bit more organic.  They were in a caravan following Stephen Gaskin's work.  When they settled in Tennessee the babies just started coming!  Thats how she started this journey, incredibly.  And a sympathetic MD illegally brought them a big stack of blank birth certificates.   Stephen mounted a campaign for the Presidency of the USA, they all engaged in a mass marriage to all of each other - its all quite the tale!

I also read Stephen Gaskins An Outlaw In My Heart.  He's not as engaging of a writer, but its fun if one is curious about the figures of the hippie movement.  Its mainly about his campaign iirc.

Anyways, I note you mentioned elsewhere its your due date! Yay!!!!!

Edited by soon

23 minutes ago, soon said:

A friend of mine went to The Farm to study under Ina May Gaskin and loved it.  She practice's now.  I ended up reading a few of her books.  Im guessing this release didnt include her famously folksy/edgie language for parts of female anatomy?

The Farms origin is a bit more organic.  They were in a caravan following Stephen Gaskin's work.  When they settled in Tennessee the babies just started coming!  Thats how she started this journey, incredibly.  And a sympathetic MD illegally brought them a big stack of blank birth certificates.   Stephen mounted a campaign for the Presidency of the USA, they all engaged in a mass marriage to all of each other - its all quite the tale!

I also read Stephen Gaskins An Outlaw In My Heart.  He's not as engaging of a writer, but its fun if one is curious about the figures of the hippie movement.  Its mainly about his campaign iirc.

Anyways, I note you mentioned elsewhere its your due date! Yay!!!!!

That's fascinating- thanks for sharing @soon. Had no idea that The Farm started in that way! Erm, she refers to the vagina as the "yoni" which was new to me. But everyone has a different word for it. :lol: 

The book combines useful medical info, with the stories from the women who have used The Farm. It seems kind of silly when they begin "we started camping at The Farm…" like camping is a totally normal thing for a heavily pregnant woman to do. And the names for the babies such as Appleseed. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

That's fascinating- thanks for sharing @soon. Had no idea that The Farm started in that way! Erm, she refers to the vagina as the "yoni" which was new to me. But everyone has a different word for it. :lol: 

The book combines useful medical info, with the stories from the women who have used The Farm. It seems kind of silly when they begin "we started camping at The Farm…" like camping is a totally normal thing for a heavily pregnant woman to do. And the names for the babies such as Appleseed. 

Yeah, yoni is fairly tame for her, haha!  Sounds like a really good and important book.  Glad you had the chance to read it during your pregnancy!  And, no, dont go camping - deliver at home!  

I have a long daily commute, so I listen much more than read.  According to Wikipedia,"Jay Clayton calls Stephenson’s book the 'ultimate geek novel' and ... io9 included the book on its list of '10 Science Fiction Novels You Pretend to Have Read'."   :shades:  34 CDs.  

crypto cover.jpg

Edited by triad

Gonna attempt a re-read of The Technological Society by Jaques Ellul.  I've read it before but will have to see if I currently have the stamina.  Ellul once sent my family a postcard for Christmas!  That mixed with having just watched Unabomber on Netflix inspired me.  Might get back into all his works.

On ‎23‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 6:02 PM, soon said:

Gonna attempt a re-read of The Technological Society by Jaques Ellul.  I've read it before but will have to see if I currently have the stamina.  Ellul once sent my family a postcard for Christmas!  That mixed with having just watched Unabomber on Netflix inspired me.  Might get back into all his works.

How does your family know Ellul?

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

How does your family know Ellul?

My Dad had some brief professional correspondence with him and the family all happened to meet him in passing.  So it was a neat surprise that he remembered us in his Christmas card list.  Sadly I dont recall meeting him but I do recall when we received the post card though.  I was very young.

• Thanks 1

I got a book called GN'R FAQ for my birthday on Friday. It's filled with stuff like the story behind every song, GNR influenced bands, every tour, the story about every band member. It's a pretty great read. It's pretty much up to date too. It goes from the formation of the band all the way up to the first NA leg of the NITL tour

Other than that, I got a book from my step sister that I'm gonna check out here

• Like 1

On December 23, 2017 at 1:31 PM, Whiskey Rose said:

Well, i'm going to look ridiculous amongst all you intelligent peoples, but this is what I'm reading! I read a harlequin romance Christmas story every Christmas :lol:

I always took you for a very intelligent person, but I guess I'll have to take your word for it! :lol:

I can see the joy in a nice tradition like this.  Did she shag the lawman?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I got a book called GN'R FAQ for my birthday on Friday. It's filled with stuff like the story behind every song, GNR influenced bands, every tour, the story about every band member. It's a pretty great read. It's pretty much up to date too. It goes from the formation of the band all the way up to the first NA leg of the NITL tour

Other than that, I got a book from my step sister that I'm gonna check out here

Happy birthday. I haven't got that book so i'll have to get it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Martian Time-Slip and I'm now reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

It is interesting comparing it to Blade Runner. Firstly Decker is married and rather enthusiastic at killing replicants or 'andys' as they are called here, as he needs the money to buy an ostrich! In the film Harrison Ford is cynical and reluctant. There was a lot of Dickian stuff which was scrapped, pseudo-religious stuff and this device where you choose your emotion for the day and that is the emotion you possess - weird conceptually stuff that you expect from Philip K Dick. I actually would say it is illuminating the film more in certain senses, the astonishment of seeing a (replicant) owl for instance should not be taking flippantly once you know all the animals died out because of a dystopian event (a dust storm), and nobody has ever seen an owl before, least know what one looks like. It is filling in certain gaps and things that were only implied in the film.  

The Whispering Room by Dean Koontz

It's the second in a 3 book series featuring a brand new character named Jane Hawk.

Dean Koontz is one of my all time favorite authors. I have read everyone of his books so far. He's just so good.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:04 AM, Sosso said:

710nv0IjUvL.jpg

Read this book awhile ago. It was very good. I liked the movie too.

I will be finished The Technological Society in time of the MyGNR Book Club! Yay! Ive been taking time to read articles about it as I read the book, lectures and stuff too.  My brain hurts.  Looks like the Book Club will be Lord Of the Flies and Technological Society is a good back drop to go into it with.

• Like 1

Normally I read in the winter but a friend sent me a new magazine, National Geographic Traveler.  You get quick little write ups on places around the world.  Some place will peak my interest and I'm running to the computer, checking it out on the web.  So many cool places.