Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

The Essential Guide to Cultivating Mushrooms 

Well laid out and Im sure it will be a reference for years to come.  Apparently it is nothing short of a miracle that my previous, improvised *watched a single YT vid* mushroom growings' have been successful.  Especially those special ones I cultivated in high school :ph34r:

I am still ''declining and falling with the Roman Empire'', but have supplemented it with the brand new, now ''feminist'', Wisden,

9781472953551.png

In keeping with this new political correct Wisden, they have renamed chinaman, ''wrist-spin''.

Edited by DieselDaisy

the Shattered Mirror by Iris Johanson it is the latest novel in the Eve Duncan series.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:45 AM, DieselDaisy said:

I have three nephews and a niece and all I'll warn you about is Peppa Pig beckons.

(It used to be In the Night Garden which is surreal, a stoner's delight.)

My daughter loves Pete the Cat books. She loves to read them to me. she's 7. Check them out. Pete the Cat and his friends are so cute and easy for little ones to read. Very cute stories and bright colorful pictures for little kids to look at when they read.

• Like 1

In spite of my desire to read intelligent novels, I’ve concluded that I’m far too literal for John le Carré. Here’s an abridged version of the conversation with my husband.

”What did you think of that my love?”

”Not sure I got it all”.

”Read the Wikipedia and come back to me”.

”I think that makes sense”

*Husband then explains what happens and why*

”Oh. Is that it? It’s nicely written but  I wouldn’t dedicate a book to something so boring”. 

*I return to the Very Hungry Caterpillar*

Edited by Gracii Guns
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

In spite of my desire to read intelligent novels, I’ve concluded that I’m far too literal for John le Carré. Here’s an abridged version of the conversation with my husband.

”What did you think of that my love?”

”Not sure I got it all”.

”Read the Wikipedia and come back to me”.

”I think that makes sense”

*Husband then explains what happens and why*

”Oh. Is that it? It’s nicely written but  I wouldn’t dedicate a book to something so boring”. 

*I return to the Very Hungry Caterpillar*

Hahaha! That has been my experience with both John LeCaire books I've read.

• Thanks 1

James Patterson "The 17th suspect" It's the new book with the Women's Club Murder characters.

I've read all the Jeffrey Deaver books with Lincoln Rymes as the lead character. I got The Bone Collector after seeing the movie with Denzel.

I love the characters and so far all the LR books have been great. Just got the latest one called "The Cutting Edge". I will probably read it after I finish JP's new book.

If you liked the Bone Collector you will like the rest of the LR series books too.

• 2 weeks later...

The author keeps trying to figure out why she would do all that hiking.  Trying to find some great reason.  There is no reason, it's home.  I can't explain it any better than that.  Not running, not hiding, not trying to prove anything.  Anyway, good book.

The Mothers of Invention - We're only in it for the money (1968)

Rock for beginners : https://libcom.org/library/rock-beginners-miguel-amor-s

A condensed social and political history of rock music, from its historical roots in Afro-American rhythm and blues, to its appropriation by white artists during the 50s, its commercialization during the late 50s, its rebirth as a dissident cultural phenomenon during the 60s, its relation to youth counterculture, folk music and political dissent during the Vietnam War era, the role played by the big festivals and drugs, its decline as a creative movement during the early 70s as it was totally commercialized and turned into a commodity serving the escapist and conformist imperatives of the dominant system, and its final eclipse by monotonous “dance music” and vapid “entertainment”.

• Thanks 1