Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Same here, you fuckin' sort of freeze and get this mildly giddy feeling...but I can't be lookin' like a pussy man :lol:  Juvenile I know but there it is.

In the choice between the ridiculous but quite likely death from tripping on my own feet as I in horror walked to the edge or refusing to accommodate a request from a cute girl, and fueled by not wanting to be a pussy, I went for the compromise of slowly inching towards the edge from a couple of meters away. I must have looked absolutely pathetic. Needless to say, the only expression of gratitude I received was a 'thanks'. But what she probably didn't grasp was that I overcame fear that day. What I did was more courageous than the fearless retards sitting at the edge. I was presented with horror and sort-of won.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Soho was a let down ain't what it used to be Harrow is all up market now too

Ye olde monocle yetters yo bougie-poo. I connect the ancient shelfers for yons perusal. Doubtless ol' chops hates the scribing on the pagies fough

Spoiler

Practicing my English slang. :lol: I said I could hook you up with beautiful old timey books but you would hate their content.

Sorry to hear it was a bust.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2019 at 11:32 PM, Sosso said:

I ordered those books and I'm very excited to read them! It's my goal to read as many novels from the Penguin Classics series as possible. 

41DO15NA4xL._AC_SY400_.jpg

41mTttdQQlL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Good choices, you can never go wrong with classics. I greatly enjoyed reading Anna Karenina, but it took me awhile to pick it up; for longest I thought it to be a very depressing novel, but it really wasn't. Sort of like Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, you go in with preconceived notions and then you end up being pleasantly surprised

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/02/2019 at 11:43 AM, Len Cnut said:

I am as well if I’m honest but I’m too arrogant to let it show.  Not all heights mind, just unsecured ones, ones where you can see the drop and a push or a stumble would do the job.  No one I know actually knows I have this and its a lot less than before, simply by just going to high places and trying my best to deal with it.

I'm terrified of flying. :( 

10 hours ago, Dazey said:

I'm terrified of flying. :( 

If it makes you feel any better Skip so was Muhammad Ali.  Fuckin' ridiculous innit, greatest fighter of all times, took himself near death a couple of times in the ring, scared of fuckin' flying :lol:  So you see, you're in good company. 

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

If it makes you feel any better Skip so was Muhammad Ali.  Fuckin' ridiculous innit, greatest fighter of all times, took himself near death a couple of times in the ring, scared of fuckin' flying :lol:  So you see, you're in good company. 

It's weird because I'm okay on little planes I just don't like the big airliners. I mean if you're in a little single engine thing and it starts bouncing around the place it doesn't seem out of place. When the big fuckers start bouncing around it proper shits me up. 

Even more weird is that I was fine skydiving. :lol: 

11 minutes ago, Dazey said:

It's weird because I'm okay on little planes I just don't like the big airliners. I mean if you're in a little single engine thing and it starts bouncing around the place it doesn't seem out of place. When the big fuckers start bouncing around it proper shits me up. 

Even more weird is that I was fine skydiving. :lol: 

Yeah, hang about, you went fuckin' skydiving you cunt! :lol:  Sometimes you don't make no fuckin' sense Christopher :lol:

• Like 1

516hvesF12L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The Greek statesman Polybius ( c.200–118 BC) wrote his account of the relentless growth of the Roman Empire in order to help his fellow countrymen understand how their world came to be dominated by Rome. Opening with the Punic War in 264 BC, he vividly records the critical stages of Roman expansion: its campaigns throughout the Mediterranean, the temporary setbacks inflicted by Hannibal and the final destruction of Carthage. An active participant of the politics of his time as well as a friend of many prominent Roman citizens, Polybius drew on many eyewitness accounts in writing this cornerstone work of history.

• Like 2

Has anyone read Normal People by Sally Rooney?

Its a romance which I dont read many of. I think Uncle Moses is the only other romance Ive read (where romance is one of a number of central story lines). But I heard a conversation about Normal People on the radio and Im looking forward to getting a copy.