Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

16 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do have books everywhere.

Me too actually, more books than anything else.  Films and music you can nick off the internet but you can't nick books.  Not online anyway.

Edited by Len Cnut

4 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I get most books I read from the library...

Unless it's a really good book, I'm not going to read it twice anyway, and if I can get it for free at the library, why buy it? 

You inspire me to be more that way. I've done numerous book purges (and they were 'painful') but more keep coming in, usually as gifts. I could realistically get down to about 50 books.

The public library here doesn't carry most authors I read, though. I bet the Unis have more of the theology and social theory I crave. I should get a card there too! 

1 minute ago, soon said:

You inspire me to be more that way. I've done numerous book purges (and they were 'painful') but more keep coming in, usually as gifts. I could realistically get down to about 50 books.

The public library here doesn't carry most authors I read, though. I bet the Unis have more of the theology and social theory I crave. I should get a card there too! 

I do have enough books lying around, but I probably get 95% of them from the library. And sometimes I have to order certain books because they don't have them at my local library, but they are connected to most other libraries in the region, so it usually arrives within a week. It's just more pragmatic in every possible way.

I read a lot of books again and again. Most of my books however are non-fiction, history if I am going to be precise, which I find tend to require repeated perusals more than fiction - especially if one is doing research into certain matters. That said no bookshelf should be without the classics and am developing a large Latin library.

3 minutes ago, soon said:

Do y'all know about these neighbourhood 'little libraries?' I never really used one. But I left a dime bag in one once when I felt generous. Neat idea though.

wxVDYdyh.jpg

Never heard of it, never seen one around here, but it's a cool idea.

26 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Well, if you want to have a pretentious bookshelf it is probably best to buy them, having to borrow them from the library everytime you have company over doesn't make much sense either.

Nobody ever sees my books. They're solely for my consumption. 

57 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Half of my posts on here are based on humour, don't let my refusal to use emoticons make you think otherwise, but this was actually a sincere question...

The EU will need people like you, acquiring a sense of humour, when we brexit as there will be a comedic deficit there.

49 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The EU will need people like you, acquiring a sense of humour, when we brexit as there will be a comedic deficit there.

I can't argue that, there will be a lot less schadenfreude once you are gone, but don't worry... we still have the Germans for our entertainment.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have a separate library. Besides, one doesn't need to do that if there is a perfectly good back street to go dogging in. 

Well, it comes a time when you will prefer having lady friends over rather than taking your dog on walks. 

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

One day you may even see Eurovision how we do. One day...

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor eurovision 2019 results countries list the UK

(the UK ^)

Just now, EvanG said:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor eurovision 2019 results countries list the UK

(the UK ^)

You have rather just provided me with an example haha!!

(Clue, Britons like to laugh at how seriously the rest of Europe take Eurovision, how lacking in taste and irony Europe is. For many in Britain, last is a point of honour.)