Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

44 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Bruges and Antwerp were major trading ports, the Hanseatic League. The prosperity of the country was built on trade and manufacturing, especially textiles.

england shit their pants for antwerp. that was, until holland closed it.

we were always held back by outsiders

22 minutes ago, action said:

england shit their pants for antwerp. that was, until holland closed it.

we were always held back by outsiders

It is Flanders' fortune to be caught between Bourbonist-Hapsburg rivalry which lasted centuries, and then subsequently getting caught between the French Republic and (a now united) German Reich. England's traditional policy was to maintain an independent low countries as a buffer between those aforementioned powers (and to keep the trade links/sea lanes operating) - this is as true in the wars against The Sun King as it was in the war against the Kaiser. 

- Or should I say misfortune. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

The Third Reich in Power, 1933 - 1939 by R.J. Evans (reread)

Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia, 1600-1947 by C. Clarke

This is a scholarly tome which charts the rise of Brandenburg-Prussia as a disparate gaggle of dynastic territories to the conquering Kingdom under Frederick the Great during the 18th century, from the uniter of a German nation-state under Bismark, to collapse and liquidation at the end of the Second World War. It takes in, besides great wars and battles, state-craft, the enlightenment (Hegel), religion, the Jews and migrants, along the way. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

The Third Reich in Power, 1933 - 1939 by R.J. Evans (reread)

Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia, 1600-1947 by C. Clarke

This is a scholarly tome which charts the rise of Brandenburg-Prussia as a disparate gaggle of dynastic territories to the conquering Kingdom under Frederick the Great during the 18th century, from the uniter of a German nation-state under Bismark, to collapse and liquidation at the end of the Second World War. It takes in, besides great wars and battles, state-craft, the enlightenment (Hegel), religion, the Jews and migrants, along the way. 

If you had to quantify how many books you've read on the world wars what do you think the number might end up at?

28 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I couldn't answer that. A lot - I have quite a few that are keepers and on my bookshelf.

The reason I ask is because I struggle to read more than a few books on the same subject, it fascinates me how people can read so much about the one thing.  I suppose the world wars are a lot more broad a topic than the types of shit I've read more than one book on, like The Beatles or The Stones or something.

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

The reason I ask is because I struggle to read more than a few books on the same subject, it fascinates me how people can read so much about the one thing.  I suppose the world wars are a lot more broad a topic than the types of shit I've read more than one book on, like The Beatles or The Stones or something.

That is true. Under the umbrella ''second world war'' you could have anything, from a book on land girls, to a guide on uniforms of the Wehrmacht. 

I have read probably too much on the Nazis. 

PS 

A good example, a book on women's fashion during the Third Reich,

Image result for Nazi chic book

Edited by DieselDaisy

When it comes down to WW2 literature I mostly like to read about what happened in my own neck of the woods. I grew up in a town where a lot happened during the war. Last month it was 75 years since it was liberated and another book was published with stories from the locals. It's interesting seeing family names being mentioned and going out to see for myself where something tragic happened and seeing the impacts of the combat on some old buildings that are still around or visiting the monuments that can be found everywhere. It comes a lot closer this way than just reading about what happened far away.

• Like 3

I am nearing completion of Bill Bryson's new one which I obtained for Christmas present,

9780857522412.jpg

It is a bit of a sequel to his A Short History of Nearly Everything (2005), his first science book, and written in a similar manner by which he has traveled and discussed the science with various experts which he introduces anecdotally (''so and so is a friendly Englishman with a beard'') and quotes breezily - you'll recognise this style from Short History. It is very fascinating - I never knew chemotherapy is essentially Mustard Gas, the same stuff used in the trenches in World War One? - however a bit morbid and depressing; Bryson seemingly has been rummaging around a dissected corpse during his research! America gets a bit of a pasting (death rate nearly double rest of first world yet Americans spend 2 1/2 times more per capita average than other first world countries!) as does general human stupidity. Conclusion: we are all going to die in painful humiliating ways through dodgy genes, crippling infections, cancer, poor diets and organ failure. Not exactly festive reading - this has been what I have been reading over Christmas haha. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

Question for all you bookworms out there:

I'm an avid reader myself; I can read just about anything and everything. With that being said, how do you all decide on which book to read next? If I go into a library/bookstore, I think to myself, "If I had the time and money, I'd read everything available in here." But of course it simply doesn't work that way. So how do you all go about deciding which specific book you're going to read next? 

11 hours ago, GNRfanJen said:

I'm an avid reader myself; I can read just about anything and everything. With that being said, how do you all decide on which book to read next? If I go into a library/bookstore, I think to myself, "If I had the time and money, I'd read everything available in here." But of course it simply doesn't work that way. So how do you all go about deciding which specific book you're going to read next? 

Good question. Lately if its a Star Wars novel I will read it! 

Lots of the time its random or I just happened to hear about it on the radio/podcast/twitter, like in an author interview or review. Or, I also keep an eye on new releases from a press/distributor that I like. Recently I was the most organized ever for choosing books. In the Spring I decided to read the version of Canadian history that we arent taught in school. So I read about 20 books on all sorts of topics that fit into that theme. And of course favourite authors always get new releases read promptly!

What about you - how do you pick?

57 minutes ago, soon said:

Good question. Lately if its a Star Wars novel I will read it! 

Lots of the time its random or I just happened to hear about it on the radio/podcast/twitter, like in an author interview or review. Or, I also keep an eye on new releases from a press/distributor that I like. Recently I was the most organized ever for choosing books. In the Spring I decided to read the version of Canadian history that we arent taught in school. So I read about 20 books on all sorts of topics that fit into that theme. And of course favourite authors always get new releases read promptly!

What about you - how do you pick?

I’m really big into autobiographies, specifically of those in the music industry, or really anyone I am a fan of, or see in a positive light. Usually they do a good job of promoting them, so I am always on the lookout for those releases. I tend to go on an author kick as well where once I finish one book, I’ll go ahead and see what else they have to offer. Finally, it’s just what I find myself really in the mood for. Kind of like what you mentioned with your theme. I’ll read different topics from different authors on said theme until I tire myself out on it haha. 

On January 5, 2020 at 11:44 AM, GNRfanJen said:

I’m really big into autobiographies, specifically of those in the music industry, or really anyone I am a fan of, or see in a positive light.

I forgot to mentioned autobiographies and biographies - love those too! Rockers and activists mostly for me. Hoping to read the Keith Moon biography "Dear Boy" asap.

A history of Scotland by John Duncan Mackie (1964). A decent run-through, although there are more modern works on the subject. 

3 hours ago, soon said:

Is that the authors bias or just reporting on Moons own sentiments towards Daltrey?

The reader has to be the judge of that I suppose. It is just one writer's interpretation on the band dynamic after all.

Edited by DieselDaisy

I am Duran - autobiography of Roberto Duran.  There's no way he wrote this shit :lol:  For a kick off he's illiterate!  Ghost-written obviously.  Not really challenging but definitely interesting, goes through his illustrious history, his inability to make weight (or rather his blowing up between fights due to a love of the high life), his poverty ridden background, his senseless philanthropy and his inability to accept the fact that he ever lost a fight fair and square :lol: 

Whatever his foibles its difficult for me to argue against the notion that he's a good shout for top 5 greatest fighters who ever lived, El Cholo Duran, hands of stone :)

On 5.1.2020 at 5:03 AM, GNRfanJen said:

Good question. I have some favorite authors so when I want something new to read I simply buy a book by them. Then I buy books at airports that looks interesting. Or when ordering from Amazon I look at their suggestions which are based on my previous orders. I could also search Amazon for specific themes that interests me. Or I go by recommendations in newspapers and the media. I also get books now and then, that O read if not for anything else so out of respect for the gift.

James Patterson's The Lost

Well, I've been reading for a long time, and I have many favorite authors. Most of them like James Patterson write a book a month or so, so that's how I decide on books to read.

I love Dean Koontz and mostly mystery and horror writers. I have found many new writers on amazon, just by them suggesting books based on what I usually read. I love reading. It helps me relax and I love to try to solve who the murderer may be.

If you have any favorite writers or a certain genre you like, try reading past books from your authors or anything that is similar. I'm never without a book. lol