Led Zeppelin: Hard Rock or Heavy Metal?

Memnoch The Devil

they're a generic rock band who borrowed elements from other genres in order to seem not generic, but all of their songs sound like cheap imitations of whatever genre they were borrowing from. sure, they were groundbreaking in the dense rock world of that time, but i don't hear anything truly new in any of their music. normally, that's okay as long as it's still enjoyable, but that's not the case here--i don't find them to be an enjoyable band. they're boring.

i went through the whole 'stairway to heaven' phase--i think everyone does--but unlike a lot of people, i grew out of that idiom.

Top 5 of all time.

they're a generic rock band who borrowed elements from other genres in order to seem not generic, but all of their songs sound like cheap imitations of whatever genre they were borrowing from. sure, they were groundbreaking in the dense rock world of that time, but i don't hear anything truly new in any of their music. normally, that's okay as long as it's still enjoyable, but that's not the case here--i don't find them to be an enjoyable band. they're boring.

i went through the whole 'stairway to heaven' phase--i think everyone does--but unlike a lot of people, i grew out of that idiom.

Please tell me a rock band today that wasn't somehow influenced by Zep or The Beatles. Are all rock bands generic and unoriginal, or only the legendary ones? You have a twisted sense of reality. I can admit that Zep had some boring moments, but they were far from generic.

They are hard rock BTW.

i never said neither the beatles nor led zeppelin weren't influential, it's just i grew bored with them rather quickly. and i'm thankful for that; if i stayed in that phase, i never would've discovered a lot of other shit--the mars volta, for example--which led to a bunch of other new shit.

i care only about the model-t in a historical sense; it was groundbreaking then, but weak and limited now. i'd rather drive a cadillac.

coming from the guy who is the forum's second biggest abuser of the dash. that shit's supposed to be special. read any good writing and you'll find that it's rarely used more than once on a page--it sets off the most important part of whatever they say. you use it almost as a crutch. fuck that, it's lazy writing.

and public schools rarely teach english. everything i know is from reading cd booklets, vibe and xxl.

coming from the guy who is the forum's second biggest abuser of the dash. that shit's supposed to be special. read any good writing and you'll find that it's rarely used more than once on a page--it sets off the most important part of whatever they say. you use it almost as a crutch. fuck that, it's lazy writing.

That's just a stylistic choice. Not even a conscious one. It's just my voice. Cormac MacCarthy doesn't use quotation marks, Don DeLillo uses weird formatting and Bret Easton Ellis doesn't use commas. I use excess dashes. I'm just following in the footsteps of my fellow literary geniuses -- it's a positive trait.

You, on the other hand, are just being stupid. If you used "nor" correctly in excess amounts I wouldn't have said anything because it would just be a stylistic choice -- but you used it incorrectly, which is totally different. I win, you lose.

P.S. Your username is stupid and you don't even have an avatar.

Edited by Estranged Reality

you're not a literary genius.

Dude, my English teacher said I was the best writing student he ever had. You're in denial. 9 out of 10 people in my writing class said I was 80% better than 4/5 of the class, so you don't know what you're talking about. I write stuff all the time. I've written four books. What have you done? Read Vibe? LOL.

you're a cookie-cutter amateur who throws around a punctuation mark meant to be used sparingly for matters only of importance more than the word 'like' is used by that white bitch in clueless.

I don't even know what you're saying. Go listen to some more rap music and get "learned." :rolleyes:

high-school english classes are laughable. you can throw together your ideas in generic sentences and be considered a good writer. and that's all you do. the only reason you're considered intelligent around here is because you straddle issues rather than taking actual stances on them. you avoid extremes because you're afraid of people disagreeing with you. you want to come off as some perfectly objective, all-knowing deity, but all you are in reality is a coward.

this is what you sound like in every thread:

'X' wasn't the best 'x' of all-time, nor was it the worst. It is, however, a really good 'x'.

fuck that. 'x' sucked.

high-school english classes are laughable. you can throw together your ideas in generic sentences and be considered a good writer. and that's all you do. the only reason you're considered intelligent around here is because you straddle issues rather than taking actual stances on them. you avoid extremes because you're afraid of people disagreeing with you. you want to come off as some perfectly objective, all-knowing deity, but all you are in reality is a coward.

this is what you sound like in every thread:

'X' wasn't the best 'x' of all-time, nor was it the worst. It is, however, a really good 'x'.

fuck that. 'x' sucked.

I wish I had the comedic integrity to keep up this fake little spat we've got going on, but I'm not that funny. I had a hard enough time keeping a straight face when I referred to Ellis as a literary genius. 9/10 people rate me 40% less funny than 3/4 of the forum 30% of the time, which, as we all know, is really bad.

You've beat me. You win.

Edited by Estranged Reality

I don't see why people differentiate between the two. Hard rock is just metal. Or should I say, metal is hard rock.

... or not :huh: They both have different characteristics.

Not really. The line between hard rock and heavy metal is vague at best. Bands that are considered hard rock by some (like LZ) are considered heavy metal by others and vice versa. Today there are some genres of metal that are clearly not hard rock but in the 70's the two were essentially the same.

I don't see why people differentiate between the two. Hard rock is just metal. Or should I say, metal is hard rock.

... or not :huh: They both have different characteristics.

Not really. The line between hard rock and heavy metal is vague at best. Bands that are considered hard rock by some (like LZ) are considered heavy metal by others and vice versa. Today there are some genres of metal that are clearly not hard rock but in the 70's the two were essentially the same.

So, the Scorpions and Led Zeppelin both have the same characteristics, they are both "hard rock"?

Didn't think so.

I get irritated by genre labels to be perfectly honest - I think they're useful for very little more than as a rough guide for someone to describe an artist by, but people constantly get so anally defensive about them (particularly metal vs rock) and I can never quite get why. Zeppelin are a band that are difficult to pigeon hole because they mashed in so many different styles into their songs.

If I had to say it, they're largely a Hard Rock band, but the elements of mysticism in songs like Ramble On and Misty Mountain Hop coupled with Maiden-Esque galloping basslines like Achilles Last Stand make it easy to see why you could place them in the metal category as well.

Dude, my English teacher said I was the best writing student he ever had. You're in denial. 9 out of 10 people in my writing class said I was 80% better than 4/5 of the class, so you don't know what you're talking about. I write stuff all the time. I've written four books. What have you done? Read Vibe? LOL.

plus your mommy told you that you're handsome.

On topic:

I consider Led Zep hard rock with folk elements. but at that time they certainly had a big influence on heavy metal.