RapidFire

weren't they going to release their demo about 2 years ago, but axl tried to stop it, and then someone here posted a response from the guy with the demo who said legally he can release it for sale without axls permission but he didn't want to do that so he was working on a deal with axl and it was going to be released very soon even if the deal fell through? but now their website is down

http://rapidfire1983.com/

i haven't heard anything since, has anybody any news?

BTW for those who don't know this was one of axls first bands

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapidfire

weren't they going to release their demo about 2 years ago, but axl tried to stop it, and then someone here posted a response from the guy with the demo who said legally he can release it for sale without axls permission but he didn't want to do that so he was working on a deal with axl and it was going to be released very soon even if the deal fell through? but now their website is down

http://rapidfire1983.com/

i haven't heard anything since, has anybody any news?

BTW for those who don't know this was one of axls first bands

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapidfire

Axl probably purchased back the recordings and put them in his vault

Guest gunns5
THAT FUCKING VAULT,

FUCK I HATE THAT PIECE OF SHIT

Just dress yourself up as a fat lady, walk through his front door into his house,

and steal the vault.

half that has already been achieved before.

This doesn't answer the question (and I could have sworn that my trusty associate posted this before), but here's a bit more info on Rapidfire if anybody cares (although I suspect they don't).

Rapidfire

"I remember for two years standing at the Troubadour and people wouldn't talk to me; I didn't know what to say to them, so you just watched and learned for a long, long time," Axl Rose told Kerrang.

Kevin Lawrence remembers seeing ‘Bill’ around in those days. They began nodding at each other, and eventually struck up a conversation.

“He said he was a singer,” recalls Lawrence. “I said, ‘Do you have a PA?’ And he said, ‘Yeah.’ And I said, ‘You’re hired.’”

Lawrence was fronting a trio called Rapidfire and he was tired of trying to be the singer and the guitarist. Bill was a dream come true. He was smart, clean and he had his own PA. He asked Bill (he was never Axl then, says Lawrence) to join him and Mike Hamernik on bass and Chuck Gordon on drums. They were a hard rock band, along the lines of AC/DC or Judas Priest, and played small metal clubs around L.A.. All the material was written by Lawrence.

They rehearsed at Chuck’s parents’ house in Encino, recalls Lawrence – in his small bedroom with drums and Marshall stacks crammed next to their ears.

“The cops would come all the time and tell us to shut it down. Actually,” he backtracks, “if I remember right, Chuck’s sister was a cop. We couldn’t get in too much trouble!”

“The songs were already written when Bill joined,” recalls Lawrence, “so he just learned them. He didn’t have the opportunity to write. He did show me the lyrics to one song, Back Off Bitch, though.

“He was a perfectly normal guy when I knew him. He was hardworking, he always showed up to rehearsals and gigs on time and he did a good job at promoting the band as well.”

“He was a perfectionist – we all were,” says Lawrence, but adds there was no sign of the famous temper. “He wanted to be a rock star, and he worked at it. All the guy wanted was to be a rock star -- and a pair of I think snakeskin cowboy boots. He really wanted those boots.”

“We’d sit around and smoke cigarettes and talk about what being a rock star was going to be like. He was serious about it. I was serious about it, we were doing business.”

The band was scoring a few gigs around town at clubs like the Troubadour and the metal mecca, Gazzarri’s.

Lawrence remembers Bill wearing one glove and holding his mike out like Freddie Mercury. He’d wear the occasional bandana and would move around the stage with moves similar to those in his later years.

At Lawrence’s request, Bill was singing in the lower register. The guitarist soon rounded up some money, hired a small studio and had the band record four of his songs – Ready To Rumble, All Night Long, The Prowler, and On The Run.

It was May, 1983, shortly before the Rapidfire’s demise.

Bill was working a day job in an adult movie house, recalls Lawrence. He was still with Gina in those days, although she was moving out and Izzy was moving in.

Lawrence figures that Izzy was the ultimate instigator of Bill’s split with the band. Izzy was either no longer in Shire or about to no longer be in Shire, and he was turning his attention to starting a band with his willing buddy Bill.

“Izzy really didn’t like that Bill was in Rapidfire,” muses Lawrence. “And he really didn’t like the idea of Bill being in a band when Izzy wasn’t in a band.”

Rapidfire’s metal rock wasn’t Izzy’s thing – by that point, he was totally enamored with the Hanoi Rocks-style glam – and he told Bill he was wasting his time. He had a vision for a band, and his Indiana friend was a big part of the vision. It sparked a tug-o-war for the singer’s attention. It became immediately apparent that Rapidfire had lost when Bill arrived for what would be his last show.

“He showed up at the last minute at the club, which was unusual,” recalls Lawrence. “And he had his hair teased way out, the white powder cake up, lipstick, etcetera. He had on this leather jacket that they had spray-painted pink. He obviously wanted to do something else. We never really argued about it, it was amicable.

“I said, ‘I guess this is your last gig, huh.’”

Edited by Sorelle

• 4 years later...

I Rly Hope these get released, i wanna hear axl sing metal!

Here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ck06IJNewI0

Pretty generic JP copy

anyway it's nice to see popped up

"Thirty years ago today, Kevin Lawrence went into the studio with Axl Rose, Mike Hamernik and Chuck Gordon. They recorded five songs. As all of you know, none of them have ever been released to the public. Although nothing has changed in this regard, I can see no harm in posting a small sample of the opening track. So many people continue to express their interest in the Rapidfire Recordings, it seems like a good way to satisfy everyone's curiosity and to mark this anniversary."

Joshua Solomon

joshua@rapidfire1983.com

Edited by Crash Diet

I seriously do not understand why that Kevin guy would want Axl singing in a low register after hearing how awesome he sounded towards the end of that clip when he got into his 'ideal' range.

That being said, I'm glad he ended up in Gn'R and got to express himself on AFD instead.

He sounds so different.

Yep. The second sample didn't sound like Axl at all.

I don't think it's axl

Then you're deaf. Yes, he is different (and only 21 years old), but this clip is 100% legit

This is a legit snippet people, so don't give me this "not Axl' crap

case closed

It's very cool to hear this. Thank you very much for posting this.

no prob dude, i just found this too rock3

^im pretty sure it's not legit. That said, I do remember there was one sample or track that surfaced a few years ago and was purported to be rapid fire. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

yes, a fake clip

That fake clip started some rumours: it's Zakk Wlyde from the 1995 sessions, it's Rapidfire, etc

but it's horseshit true, that's an another bands song.

Excuse me, but what evidence do you have of this? Just because you've posted over 2000 times in 1.5 short years, it doesn't mean you can simply expect everyone to beleive everything you say. You should be paying attention at school, not reading gnr forums all day long.

Hopefully Axl just agrees to let them put it out. I think it's good for people to hear how he sang before he found his voice and turned the music world on its ear. To me it's a little bit Halford & a little bit Di'Anno.

I think hearing an artist develop is really important. I know artists tend to cringe when it's out there, but the fans appreciate it and respect it.

Putting it out now wouldn't be cashing in on GNR, it's prob. just a matter of trying to get a hold of him and having reasons for him to have any part in wanting it out there. If this is the tape Kim Fowley heard and said it sucked, he prob would rather not have it out there being sold.

People who don't think it's Axl are deaf. He sounds different because he is young and figuring it out. Yet I think he still sounds awesome. Axl's peak years were the mid-to-late '80s. Listen to how awesome it is at the end of that clip.

I hope these songs eventually come out. Any Axl material is cool for me to hear.

Mind you, Kevin Lawrence COULD have released this at Gn'R peak if he truly wanted to cash in.