Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

8 hours ago, Lio said:

Niven, just shut up, bitter old man. We get it, you despise Axl, who is the root of all evil.

Guns have many beggars and hangers-on. :lol: Niven is just attaching himself to the only thing he was somewhat relevant for. The only thing is, he doesn't see that most people frankly don't give a shit about him 27 years later.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I want Axl to write lyrics about politics so bad.

Wether or not you agree with the guy's views, you can't deny he really cares and I'm sure it would make fucking inspired songs. That's what the world needs.

Edited by Nalbi

17 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Interesting, i thought niven was still managing guns when steven was in the band and doug didnt come in until about 91 when the illusions were ready to drop?.

He didn't become GnR's manager until '91 but he was in the inner circle from the late-AFD period onwards iirc. Niven seems to be suggesting that Doug played a more prominent role in Steven's ouster than we previously thought - which doesn't seem all that far fetched  I suppose given how Goldstein operates.

9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Niven forgot to say that he was fully behind the Adler "probation contract" (if it wasn't all his idea). Also, by all accounts, they were probably already rehearsing with Sorum when the incident with Erin happened.

Agreed. Seems like Adler's firing was inevitable by then regardless of what may or may not have happened with Erin. I think the "Adler having sex with Erin" story originates from Ross Halfin right? 

"Then the record went huge, and off they went, like a rollercoaster," says Halfin. "All that ego started coming from Alan Niven - his view was 'fuck everyone', and that rubbed off on Axl. His insecurity just became this massive ego."

In 1990, he fired Steven Adler (Halfin claims, because Adler had sex with Rose's fiancée Erin Everly, then shot her full of heroin), and put the other members under contract.

In late 1991, Izzy Stradlin left when he was told he could no longer step forward when taking a guitar solo -- :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2004/mar/13/popandrock.gunsnroses

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Agreed. Seems like Adler's firing was inevitable by then regardless of what may or may not have happened with Erin. I think the "Adler having sex with Erin" story originates from Ross Halfin right? 

"Then the record went huge, and off they went, like a rollercoaster," says Halfin. "All that ego started coming from Alan Niven - his view was 'fuck everyone', and that rubbed off on Axl. His insecurity just became this massive ego."

In 1990, he fired Steven Adler (Halfin claims, because Adler had sex with Rose's fiancée Erin Everly, then shot her full of heroin), and put the other members under contract.

In late 1991, Izzy Stradlin left when he was told he could no longer step forward when taking a guitar solo -- :lol:

That guy is quite a character. On his website he used to talk about all artists and bands he photographed and he didn't shy away from giving his honest opinions. Not many people in that business dare to do that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RONIN said:

The Guardian article has many inaccuracies, but the Ross Halfin quotes are interesting.

The story also originates from Steven himself, who blamed the McCoy's (Andy and Angela) for telling Axl that. Andy McCoy has implied it in his book (that Steven might have done that). Niven himself also has said that "Axl was  convinced that Erin was raped and drugged" (quote in Mick Wall's 2016 book, probably taken from unedited 2011 interview).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RONIN said:

He didn't become GnR's manager until '91 but he was in the inner circle from the late-AFD period onwards iirc. Niven seems to be suggesting that Doug played a more prominent role in Steven's ouster than we previously thought - which doesn't seem all that far fetched  I suppose given how Goldstein operates.

Niven and Goldstein, as The Stravinsky Brothers, were both referred to as co-managers of GN'R before 1991.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Niven and Goldstein, as The Stravinsky Brothers, were both referred to as co-managers of GN'R before 1991.

As per Niven:

The former tour manager of Guns n Roses [Goldstein] has an integrity that matches his math; my contract with Guns n Roses was finally signed October 1986. I had started working with the band in August. Mr. Rose walked away from his obligations to the extended contract in March of 1991.

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Ah so that was where the stravinsky brothers name came from. Thanks soulmonster. I remember seeing that name i think in the appetite liner notes and wondered what that name referred to.

1 minute ago, RONIN said:

As per Niven:

The former tour manager of Guns n Roses [Goldstein] has an integrity that matches his math; my contract with Guns n Roses was finally signed October 1986. I had started working with the band in August. Mr. Rose walked away from his obligations to the extended contract in March of 1991.

Niven was the manager and Goldstein tour manager. Then, at some point, Goldstein and Niven became the Stravinsky Brothers and Goldstein was promoted to band manager together with Niven. Already back in the summer of 1989 does media refer to Goldstein as one of the band's manager. Then in early 1991 Axl started to sever ties with Niven and before May he was out. At least that's my working theory based on articles up to August 1991 :D

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Steven is the founding and best drummer of GNR. But if he drugged and raped Erin I can't possibly comprehend why Axl should get any flak for firing him. I mean that's the kind of stuff you might kill someone over.

I think the question is was the sex consensual?., axl wasnt there so hes going on heresay. I think steven aludes that it was....or was all of this bullshit and a reason for axl to get rid of steven?.

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The Guardian article has many inaccuracies, but the Ross Halfin quotes are interesting.

The story also originates from Steven himself, who blamed the McCoy's (Andy and Angela) for telling Axl that. Andy McCoy has implied it in his book (that Steven might have done that). Niven himself also has said that "Axl was  convinced that Erin was raped and drugged" (quote in Mick Wall's 2016 book, probably taken from unedited 2011 interview).

Andy McCoy, that's him. I remember reading that. Where he was telling the whole story about Steven standing there just smiling stupidly while they were trying to get to Erin to help her, as she was locked in a bedroom? I don't know if I ever read about him having sex with her, but the OD I remember. It seemed quite a plausible story to me.